What is in your "TOOL BOX"..?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by landon6062, Jun 19, 2018.

1. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina
    One last preparation I would like to make before our FIRST CAMP experience.. is preparing a TOOL BOX..

From your experience I am sure you have plenty of ideas, would you mind sharing a little..

Fuses, hammers , BEAR SPRAY..lol ETC..

Of course, I am not expecting you to tell me it all, just some ideas would be great...

Would you give me some ideas on setting up a tool box for emergencies?..

thanks

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Lol, I saw your screwdriver post, and realized I haven't started my tool box yet! I was thinking socket set, duct tape, canvas repair , and roof repair stuff. Compressor . The usual tools, plus basic electrical stuff. I was also thinking a drill, but now I'm going over board! So , maybe an old fashioned push drill, just in case and some screws to reattach anything that might fly off, or vibrate out.
    Not in the tool box, but extra water fittings for hoses, a hose repair kit. Wd 40. And a hammer for persuading stuff.

landon6062 likes this.
  3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Wow where to begin, well here it goes just thinking whats in the tool box.

Plastic tool box
    Hammer, Rubber mallet, small ratchet set
    Phillips head, flat head,square head screw drivers
    Pliers, channel locks, needle nose, small vise grips, crescent wrench (6 inch-10 inch)
    wire cutters, wire strippers,wire connectors, spare fuses, 12 volt test light, volt meter, electric tape, duct tape.

Camper box
    25' 30 amp camper cord, 2- 25' water hoses, 20' RV sewer hose, sewer attachments, 2- water pressure regulators, elbow to connect water hose to camper, drain vent for sink, 12-tent stakes, latex gloves, quick connect for gas grill (to use 1 lb. bottles) 2- 25' extension cords, 30 amp to 15 amp plug adapter, pack of rubber washer for water hoses, plastic table cloth and clips, pretty lights that the DW likes on the camper awning.

Truck tool box.
    2-ton bottle jack, wood block for bottle jack, 4 way tire tool, torque wrench with correct socket for tire change, jumper cables, screw gun with correct socket to raise and lower stabs, 2- 2X6X16 wood blocks.

I am sure there are other things in there just can't remember with out looking. Mine you I have a F-150 with tool box so plenty of storage for everything I listed. You get what will work for you, Happy Camping!

landon6062 and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    What is the sink vent, and where does it go?

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Multimeter, duck tape, dry lube along with your customary tools, hammer and pliers. Take a look at your screw heads on the camper to determine what type of screw driver you need, they don't always use a regular philips or flat, but you may get lucky.

Sjm9911 and landon6062 like this.
  6. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    This is what I use for the sink vent (attached picture)

Before the jokes and comments start, yes I do carry the kitchen sink also..........lol
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Rik Peery, landon6062 and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina
    LOL.. HI Sjm.. nice to meet you.. : )

Yep.. only have the screwdriver so far.. glad I wasn't out camping. Not sure if I would have had to tie that table to the TOP of the SUV, just to get home.. LOL

Those sound like some good tips.. Of course I am sure we need "fuses".. You never know when a tail light might go out..

I know it may seem like "those TOOLS should be obvious" but.... in all honesty.. this Mechanic Knowledge and ability stuff is a "BIG WEAKNESS" in our family..

Married 35 years, I know our weakness'..

MY husband is very intelligent, does Nuclear procedures for a living.... "BUT" well let's just leave it there..

I do all the GRUNT work in the family.. grunt.. "as in a low-ranking or unskilled soldier or other worker." IE gathering all the information he needs.. and preparing the job site.. . LOL not the noise a pig makes.. LOL

compressor might be nice, but I bet it would take up too much weight?

YEP.. quote: "And a hammer for persuading stuff" .>> my kind of fix.. if you can't bump it in, DUCK tape it.. LOL

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina
    Excellent thoughts, got it...I will certainly check on what type camper screw heads look like.. thank you..

Someone mentioned a "FLOOR JACK" once.. PUPs don't do well with CAR JACKS? I guess?

9. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I just got the smaller plug in type compressed if the air get low, it probubly will not inflate the tires all the way but might keep you from getting stranded on the side of the road. And I almost forgot, you need a jack for the pup. And leveling blocks. I'm new to this too, it seams the more I read the more I need.......

landon6062 likes this.
  10. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Any jack will do as long as it fits. So see if the car jack will work first. I put larger tires on a pick up truck once, got a flat , the jack was too short. Had to scrounge up wood on the side of the road in order to change the tire. Live and learn!

landon6062 likes this.
  11. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    landon6062 likes this.
  12. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina
    OMLORD.. THANK you for taking the time for sharing..

Got to print this out.. LOL

Might I say:

That is one mind blowing list.. are you sure you have ROOM for a body in that camper? kidding of course..

AS I was writing it down I was thinking..

"what the heck is that, and that and that<..... LOL

I am certain my hubby will know.. so I want OVER burden you, by asking all the questions I TRULY have about your LIST.. [:I] or I will LOOK it up on GOOGLE.. lol

just two. you might go over with me:

Interesting...2 water pressure regs? I am assuming that is so you wont destroy your camper water lines.. DOES that happen so often that you would need 2 of these?

awe.. a BOTTLE JACK instead of a FLOOR JACK.. or is that the same thing?

THANKS for your helps : )

13. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina
    Based on some of the post I have seen about people "washing dishes" in the rest area?.. that just might be a Handy tool to have for a future purchase.. THANKS JPBAR : )

14. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina
    Dan from Troup likes this.
  15. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Just and extra spare pressure regulator, I buy 2 of everything if it is cheap enough.
    Floor jack
    [​IMG]
    Bottle jack
    [​IMG]

landon6062 likes this.
  16. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina
    THANK YOU : )

17. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina
    yes, certainly something to be mindful of.. thanks

Looking forward to hearing about your NEW Adventures in your PUP.. : )

18. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Bo
    No apology needed, I'm learning my way around here too. Seems like many of these things have been discussed before and lots of stuff in the archives to be found. Finding it though takes some digging. I'm amazed at how much info. is here at this forum. It's literally a tool box in our phone. BTW, building my tool kit too and watching this thread. Thanks for shaking the bushes. [CC]

landon6062 likes this.
  19. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina

Well I am certainly "SHAKING THE BUSHES".. and gaining so much WONDERFUL information and knowledge..

I like being among "like minded people".. seems like I have HIT GOLD, if you ask me LOL

20. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    . Just make sure the jack can get under the camper. With a flat tire it will be far lower than you may think. My truck came with a bottle jack, but the jack is too large if the popup has a flat so I just bought a smaller bottle jack I keep with the camper. By the way you may also need a couple size lug wrench. Some spare tires are held on by a smaller nut.