What is in your "TOOL BOX"..?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by landon6062, Jun 19, 2018.

1. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Our toolbox pretty much consists of what would be needed for "simple" fixes on the road. (I put simple in quotes because, to me, re-hanging a roof end that has fallen down while on the road is not simple, but apparently, it's not too bad if you have the right tools..)

We have a hammer, socket set, wrench, and pliers. And, that thing that I use to bang on our gate when it's frozen in the winter. LOL

As far as I see it, it makes no real difference what you have, if you can't use it. And, to echo what was stated above, we only carry what we need to get the trailer or the TV home (or to someplace else to fix it).

Insofar as tire changing goes, we carry a floor jack and star wrench.

Also, this should probably go without saying, but I'll say it anyway...jumper cables. We've used them in a pinch to get a quick charge on our PUP battery, and were also glad to have them (yet thankfully didn't need them) when our alternator went in our TV about 100 miles (and a mountain pass) away from home. All the juice left in our 12v on the trailer was looking awfully good when the battery monitor in our truck was going down precipitously...

JPBar and J Starsky like this.
  2. Mo8414

Mo8414 New Member

Jun 20, 2018
    Typical ratchets, sockets, extensions and wrenches. Pliers, razer, pickle fork, breaker bar, BFH, 1/2 Milwaukee cordless impact. Floor jack, scissor jack, jack stand. Screw drivers, cordless drill and some drill bits. Jumper cables, extra serp belt from the junk yard(cheap). Pretty much everything i need to fix anything on a car or trailer.

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    1/4 through 1/2 inch socket sets deep and shallow, with ratchets and extensions Metric and Sae. Metric and Sae wrenches up to 3/4 inch and 19 MM. various screwdrivers and pliers, crescent wrenches fuses, hose clamps. Battery air comp with jump start. cordless drill. heater hose fittings electrical tape, and a lot of junk that I will probably never use

4. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Mechanic tool box from walmart
    1/2 kobalt impact wrench and deep sockets- takes a wheel off in 2 minutes flat once off the ground.
    Adapter to put down stabilizer with my 1/4 impact wrench or 1/2 impact wrench

5. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

Nov 29, 2010
    I take a jack stand for those cases where the travel of the bottle jack is insufficient to lift the wheel high enough. Jack up as high as possible, lower onto the jack stand, then position more wood blocks under the bottle jack to gain more lift.

I once had to do this 4-5 times to get the (2WD) F150 out when it was stuck in the mud.

Dan from Troup likes this.
  6. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    What a great idea as we do the same thing in our foundation repair business but block off the pier.

7. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I probably have way too many things in my toolbox, but each one of them is for a "just in case" situation.
    Floor jack, jack stand, sockets, open ends, 3 sizes of adjustable wrenches, pliers, channel locks, box cutter,
    wire cutters, extra wire, electrical tape, wire connectors of all sizes, duct tape, large and small hammer, needle
    nose pliers in 2 sizes, vise grips, screws, nails, wood glue, super glue..oh, and a Schumaker Smart Charger.
    I think that's pretty close to being "it". I keep the box in the TV, because it might add too much weight to the
    pup, lol. (not really). I've thought about putting the air compressor in there, but that might be overkill I spose.

8. Nathan Dowdell

Nathan Dowdell New Member

Jul 15, 2018
    London, Ontario, Canada
    i carry with me a Large socket set, a screw driver bit set, 30" ratcheting breaker bar, cordless drill, and a CAA membership (Canadian version of AAA)

9. Omaha419

Omaha419 New Member

Jul 3, 2018
    Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Ok started putting together my tool box for the camper. Unfortunately , I have a crap ton of tools. Its getting hard to separate the necessary stuff from the unnessassary. My question is this, should I pack a snub nose electric drill, or just go with the old fashioned egg beater drill? Both? Lol. I also still use my push drill and the side arm one. Yes I like old tools and they still serve a purpose. I packed some ellectrical stuff, a.c. and dc, standard plyer set, metal cutters, hammer, tape, level, c claps and hose for plumbing, gromit kit, screws, patch kits, hacksaw, knives, tire repair kit. Open end wrenches, vice grips, screwdrivers, and I need to get or fond my small wratchet set. Too much?

11. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    Credit card, roadside assistance, and a cell phone.

Sjm9911 likes this.