What is this wire on my Dometic fridge?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Folsoml, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Folsoml

Folsoml Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Hello!

I am building a free standing camper from the parts of a 1999 Coachmen 1265S Pop-up camper. My original intention was to simply replace the vinyl "tent" parts with solid walls, but as I was taking it apart, I found that the more I took apart--the more I found that NEEDED to be taken apart (wood rot and such). As a result, I ended up tearing it down to the bare frame and building it back up from there.

Most of the original appliances still work, so I am using them in the rebuild. Which brings me to my question: I have a wire coming out of the side of my Dometic RM 2193 and I don't know where it is supposed to go. I try to take pictures of everything as I take it apart, but I somehow missed this (maybe it was already clipped before I got it?). This wire looks like thermostat wire. It has grey insulation around two very thin solid wires--one white and one red. There is about 10 inches or so coming out of the left side of the box.

I've searched the manual for the fridge (https://www.scamptrailers.com/images/pdfs/Dometic_Refrig_RM2191_RM2193.pdf) but I see no mention of such a wire. I have not been successful in finding a manual for the original 1265S popup.

For the record, the fridge seems to function using all three power modes (120, 12v, and propane) with this wire hooked to nothing.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Thermistor wire?.....Is there a thermistor clipped on the metal fins in the fridge?

3. Folsoml

Folsoml Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Thanks for your response. I'll have to check that when I get home. I can say that I looked all over the fridge and the surrounding area for any clipped wires of the same type and did not find any. I will specifically check for this thermistor.

4. Folsoml

Folsoml Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Update: I finally got to look for the thermistor. I did not see one, but I did find that there is a fan inside the fridge that these wires seem to go to. I still could use some advice on where the wires go OUTSIDE of the fridge.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Post a picture or two of the wire and back of the fridge, it will help many understand what wire you are talking about..

6. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Red to power, white to ground. This should power the fan in the fridge to circulate air to improve cooling in the fridge.

7. Folsoml

Folsoml Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Yeah, I was hoping this was some standard item on this model fridge, so people would know the wire I was talking about. I'll try to get some pics today.

It seems as though this is not a standard item, is that correct? If it WAS standard, why would they not hard wire it to the fridge itself. Does it need to run constantly?

8. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Aug 1, 2014
    People do all kinds of mods. An interior fan has been done before. It moves air over the cooling fins inside the fridge to help with cooling. It's easier to just place a small battery powered fan built for just this purpose.
    If it were me, and the fan already existed, I'd connect it with a switch so I could turn it on and off as required. If you connect it it straight to power, yes, it will run continuously.

9. Folsoml

Folsoml Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Upon closer examination (and photographing), I see now that that this is definitely something someone added. I also see that the wires are black and red, rather than white and red as I originally posted. I connected the wires coming out of the side of the fridge to 12 volt power and it definitely runs the fan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    I'd do what @McFlyfi has already said. Find a decent switch, connect the the to the switch, and connect the switch to the power block on the Fridge. When you light the fridge, turn the fan on.

I have a battery operated one that does the same. It does help the fridge keep cool.

11. BaysideJim

BaysideJim Member

May 5, 2015
    Denver, Colorado
    mpking, do you have a picture of your setup or any details on make/model of the fan I am looking into doing this mod for my fridge

12. Folsoml

Folsoml Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Tallahassee, Florida
    If you look at my pictures above, it looks like someone took a Dell computer fan and mounted it in the top rear of the inside of the fridge. They then drilled a hole in the side of the fridge and ran the wires to a 12V power source.

I can't help but wonder how this actually keeps the inside of the fridge cooler. A fan blowing on a person only makes them feel cooler because it causes evaporation on their skin. A fan running in an empty room actually gets warmer due to the heat created by the fan motor.

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    A fan on the inside of the fridge will move the air around and even out the temps. on the inside, not really make it cooler..

14. J Starsky

J Starsky Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    I sent dometic a note. They had a book for my 1984 fridge. Couldn't believe that.

15. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    I don't think you meant me.

Here's what I have:
    Amazon Link: (I got mine from the local RV store)
    http://a.co/4xqk4ee

[​IMG]

16. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I have the same thing been using it for a long time and it helps move the air around inside the refer. The outside fan moves the heat out of the refer. and does help cool the unit. Due to the hot summers here I have 2 on the outside of my refer. and have a wafer thermostat hooked up in line and a switch inside. The thermostat comes on at a certain temp and shuts off when it is not needed, the inside switch shuts it off so the fans do not work when not the unit is shut down.

17. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Wrong thread