What is this wire on my Dometic fridge?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Folsoml, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Folsoml

Folsoml New Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Hello!

I am building a free standing camper from the parts of a 1999 Coachmen 1265S Pop-up camper. My original intention was to simply replace the vinyl "tent" parts with solid walls, but as I was taking it apart, I found that the more I took apart--the more I found that NEEDED to be taken apart (wood rot and such). As a result, I ended up tearing it down to the bare frame and building it back up from there.

Most of the original appliances still work, so I am using them in the rebuild. Which brings me to my question: I have a wire coming out of the side of my Dometic RM 2193 and I don't know where it is supposed to go. I try to take pictures of everything as I take it apart, but I somehow missed this (maybe it was already clipped before I got it?). This wire looks like thermostat wire. It has grey insulation around two very thin solid wires--one white and one red. There is about 10 inches or so coming out of the left side of the box.

I've searched the manual for the fridge (https://www.scamptrailers.com/images/pdfs/Dometic_Refrig_RM2191_RM2193.pdf) but I see no mention of such a wire. I have not been successful in finding a manual for the original 1265S popup.

For the record, the fridge seems to function using all three power modes (120, 12v, and propane) with this wire hooked to nothing.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Thermistor wire?.....Is there a thermistor clipped on the metal fins in the fridge?

3. Folsoml

Folsoml New Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Thanks for your response. I'll have to check that when I get home. I can say that I looked all over the fridge and the surrounding area for any clipped wires of the same type and did not find any. I will specifically check for this thermistor.

4. Folsoml

Folsoml New Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Update: I finally got to look for the thermistor. I did not see one, but I did find that there is a fan inside the fridge that these wires seem to go to. I still could use some advice on where the wires go OUTSIDE of the fridge.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Post a picture or two of the wire and back of the fridge, it will help many understand what wire you are talking about..

6. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Red to power, white to ground. This should power the fan in the fridge to circulate air to improve cooling in the fridge.

7. Folsoml

Folsoml New Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Yeah, I was hoping this was some standard item on this model fridge, so people would know the wire I was talking about. I'll try to get some pics today.

It seems as though this is not a standard item, is that correct? If it WAS standard, why would they not hard wire it to the fridge itself. Does it need to run constantly?

8. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Member

Aug 1, 2014
    People do all kinds of mods. An interior fan has been done before. It moves air over the cooling fins inside the fridge to help with cooling. It's easier to just place a small battery powered fan built for just this purpose.
    If it were me, and the fan already existed, I'd connect it with a switch so I could turn it on and off as required. If you connect it it straight to power, yes, it will run continuously.

9. Folsoml

Folsoml New Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Upon closer examination (and photographing), I see now that that this is definitely something someone added. I also see that the wires are black and red, rather than white and red as I originally posted. I connected the wires coming out of the side of the fridge to 12 volt power and it definitely runs the fan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    I'd do what @McFlyfi has already said. Find a decent switch, connect the the to the switch, and connect the switch to the power block on the Fridge. When you light the fridge, turn the fan on.

I have a battery operated one that does the same. It does help the fridge keep cool.