What makes "your favorite campground and site"

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by McCampers, Dec 8, 2018.

1. McCampers

McCampers Member

Oct 16, 2016
    We all have our favorite campground and our favorite site in that campground. Why is that? List the things that particular campground has or does that makes that your favorite spot, without telling the name of the campground or the spot to protect what you like there. Mine is a USFS campground on Toledo Bend Reservoir in East Texas. The campground is in the Sabine National Forest. There is no Park Host and the campground only fills up during hunting season. First come, first serve, type park which reservations are never needed. It does not have water, sewer or electric sites, but it does have water hydrants scattered throughout where you can fill with water, it has restrooms, some with hot showers. Why is it my favorite: Campground is in the East Texas piney woods and you are surrounded by nice woodland scenery and its inhabitants. Coons attack your camp nightly. Lots are spaced far enough apart where you have a good level of privacy. Favorite site there is a double site at a road bend that has direct access to the hiking trails and good fishing spot down below on the lake, with a water hydrant within "walk and tote" distance and a restroom nearby. We enjoy driving the nearby forest roads at night to see what wildlife we can see. Certain campgrounds draw like minded campers, so as you do your walks and talk with other campers it seems everyone is on the same page.

2. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Don’t use campgrounds but our ideal site is on a creek or river and at least a mile from the next site.

3. McCampers

McCampers Member

Oct 16, 2016
    I just wish we had places like that here. Campsites a mile apart on a creek or river are few and far between in our area. Cherish those spots and keep them secret.

Turfit, jmkay1 and gladecreekwy like this.
  4. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    5FD70590-E481-4FF3-B3E2-60697BC2BBA2.jpeg
    Time to start planning your Wyoming vacation

Mongo71, Turfit and jmkay1 like this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I never really had a faviote campground before to me every campground had something I loved and hated. Well until I attended my first two state DOG at a campground what looked like near or on the water. Grant you it was COLD, rainy and windy day and I just battled traffic for four hours straight due to construction, accident and then rush hour. I was stressed. Finally got to the campground and checked in, the Rangers were very friendly far better than a lot of campgrounds I've been to in VA. I got to my site, and discovered lakefront. The beauty just made me loosen completely up. Like all my cares disappeared. I figured just like every campground I've been before it may be near water but there would have been a thousand trees between you and it. Never did I expect less than a few yards and I'll be on the water edge. Sadly the weather did not let up and I ended up setting my tent in the rain. The wind ended up blowing the tent to the water and I ran chasing it before it got soaked. Finally get it set up, I'm soaked through and freezing. I cooked dinner under my EZ up and just looked out forwards the water... nothing else mattered. the site may not have had electricity or water but I was OK with that. The bathrooms were comfortable/clean and showers hot. I didn't need anything else. Jordan Lake, NC is now a faviorate of mine. I have yet to try and camp on a warm day as everything else seemed to come ahead, but I try to attend every DOG held there. What better way then to eat a bunch of food cooked in the Dutch oven, socializing with friends at a very beautiful park.

neighbormike likes this.
  6. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Large site; some trees for privacy; view of and access to a body of water on which we can kayak; area to ride bicycles; trails for nature hikes; decent restrooms with hot showers; large rocks to climb on would be a plus. We don't have any one favorite camping area. Thankfully, we've found many.

Turfit and jmkay1 like this.
  7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Trees

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    For us, it's usually a combination of location for exploration and the campground. We will sacrifice remoteness in order to be able to explore an area. South Rim of Grand Canyon is an example. We usually dry camp in Mather CG, though I have reservations for Trailer Village in May. The shuttle bus stops at each campground, and we can walk to the Rim from camp too. For North Rim of GC, we prefer to camp in the park's CG, again for ease in access to trails and Rim. There is a nice USFS one not too far outside the park, as well as boon docking areas. We stayed at DeMotte once, would do it again, but prefer the quicker access to the Canyon.
    We also have a favorite USFS campground in CO that is quite remote - 45 min.-hour from the nearest town. Often not busy, even on the holiday weekends we've been there. We were there last year for the eclipse; not total there, but still fun. It was probably 1/4 occupied. We've been camping there for over 20 years. It has two trails into a wilderness from the campground, and there are a couple more trailheads just up the road. Nice place for me to base camp while Courtenay backpacks in the wilderness.
    We also have favorite stops, not really camping ones, that are handy as we go to/from our destinations. The KOA in Flagstaff is one - good distance for a day's travel, we know where the grocery stores and gas stations are to restock when necessary, handy at the end of a trip to dump waste tanks. Definitely not a remote experience on weekends (holiday or not), but it fills a need for us.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  9. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    We rarely revisit campgrounds/sites except for group or family functions. There's too much unseen and undone, the bucket list just keeps getting longer instead of shorter.

But there is one site we return to every year. It's in the Chihuahuan Desert in West Texas. At least 3 miles to the next site, 4 to the nearest "facility" and 12 to the nearest potable water. In a week there we might see 3 people, except when we make a water run. So if the dog feels like barking we don't bother anyone else.

During the day we can hear cars passing on the gravel road almost 1/2 mile away. At night all we hear are the coyotes running in the wash and occasional rustling of the creosote bushes. The sky is brilliant with stars.

There's still enough exploring to do there to keep us occupied for many more trips.

10. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    My favorite site is always the one furthest from anyone else... period. My preference is a boondock site I can get the TT in and out of without fear of sinking in the road (which has happened)...
    [​IMG]

But I WAS at a site that was pretty quiet.

THIS site I had nobody around me for a couple of miles, but I also wasn't too far off the road...

[​IMG]

A pretty good site, but one of my all time favorite experiences.

Sometimes I have to use a CG. When I do, I'm looking for space, a little screening with vegetation between the sites, and functional hookups. If I can find a particular SITE that is like in a corner, or pushed back off the main line, then I'd go for that.

Camping like THIS...
    [​IMG]

I find yucky, but necessary sometimes.

But, we all camp for different reasons. I camp to spend quality time with these two...
    [​IMG]

gladecreekwy likes this.
  11. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I too like having a Creekside camp site location way back in the woods somewhere. Waking up to a nice bon-fire and fresh ground and brewed bean coffee is what draws me there hehe...

Also another favorite is Cloudland Canyon Camp on the West RIM Side is a neat place we like to stay in. They have a rail fence thing around the patio area and my favorite spot is sitting up on the deck watching the Deer and other small wild animals walking through the area...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Roy's images

Cloudland Canyon is rather nice with not a hugh showing of other campers and has a few wooded trails. This is located up on LOOKOUT MTN near Trenton GA exit on I59 area. Also has a great close-by store for supplies... We try to make it here for a few nights when make our yearly run to the Smoky Mtns (Gatlinburg TN area) camping at ELKMONT CAMP inside the NATL Park...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    neighbormike likes this.
  12. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    We've gone to the same Prov Park for 26 summers now. 20 of those were on the same site. We have started bouncing around to different sites in the park because of booking dates and such. Our old favorite site is usually always taken now. However, we enjoy going to the other sites, and may never go back to our old favorite. We love the privacy of lots of trees and underbrush. A site that we had this summer was right on the river. That was great for paddle boarding and fishing right from the site. Feeding ducks, and listening to the frogs at night was soothing. It was not an electrical site, but that wasn't too bad except for our ice machine. We might go back to that site next year again.
    20180811_194920.jpg

13. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    My favorites sites offer:

1. I have only stayed at this campground if I can get one particular site - although now with the FnR, there is a second site that is at the top of the list. The #1 site is on the creek, the door of the clipper opens up to a unimpeded view of the deep pond in the creek. In the mornings, I sit on my step, drinking hot cocoa and watching the fish jump. At the end of the season, I can book during the week and be the only person in the loop. Batdog loves to get up in the morning, run down to the creek for a drink, take a potty break and then cuddle on the couch watching the creek. The #2 site is a tent site that can accommodate a small pup. The camping pad is right at the edge of the creek. There are bushes and trees surrounding the site, so more privacy than the other. The usual campers are tent campers and the tend to take the top loop first, and then start reserving in my loop (yes, I am possessive about it :) ). Trailers tend to go to the third loop first. No hookups, a couple water spigots per loop, 42 sites total, one pair of vault toilets per loop. Several trails, including a connection to the Pacific Crest Trail. One mile from a small town, but other than day hikers, you wouldn't know. Because of the town, you will see PCT hikers pass through.

2. This campground is a winter choice as it's hot, hot, hot in high season. The campground is on a reservoir. Rolling hills with trails. There are 3 ground sites across the road from the main campground up on a big hill. In the main campground, there is one loop with electric and water, one straight stretch with full hookups, and the main loop with no hookups - these are all pretty close together and not a lot of privacy. Then there is a small tent only loop and a small standard loop. My favorite site is in the standard loop. This loop has 3 sites that sit on the edge of the reservoir, 1 site that has its view blocked off by trees and boulders, and 1 drive through site just below that. I usually plan a weeklong trip here and have a friend or two join me. So we have the loop pretty much to ourselves. An occasional camper will come by, but not very often, so it's very private. In the evenings, the coyotes sing around the lake - it's an amazing sound every time. Lots of wildlife: coyotes, bobcats, bald eagles, etc.

Those are my two top favorites. In general, I pick my campgrounds using the following requirements, in order: dogs allowed on trails, etc.; not hot; prefer on the water, but OK with water within walking distance; privacy between sites - either by space or foliage; trails reachable without driving; caters more to loner and couple hikers than to family campers or group/friend campers. campground.jpg Codorniz Sunset.jpg IMG_20170308_103602.jpg

14. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    Quiet, quiet, quiet, and did I mention quiet.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  15. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    We like woods and water. With more than 90,000 miles of shoreline, more than California, Florida and Hawaii combined, two national forests, one huge national park, dozens of state forests, and 65 state parks, that's not hard to find in Minnesota. The site pictured is my favorite, but not my wifes. Remote, primitive, quiet, and right on an undeveloped northwoods lake in a state forest. One hand pump for water and a pit toilet.
    10212772861049922.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    JiffyPopJunkie and BillyMc like this.
  16. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    No people.

BillyMc likes this.
  17. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    My favorites (which have been destroyed) the staff is always ready to assist, the sites are kept clean and mostly level, fishing is good on Lake Seminole and the other campers are normally good, also quiet hours are observed. Not to far from Grocery store plenty of wildlife to observe.

18. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    I think this pretty much sums it up. [:)C]

20180814_194624.jpg

19. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    A good view from the bed
    8DABF0DE-7F6E-46FF-9021-AB68225C9AAB.jpeg 8C4F8958-A820-4A41-B698-527AE0A3D5E3.jpeg

LucythePUP, KamperKel and kcsa75 like this.
  20. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    for us, lack of crowds probably is first priority. We like to be near water, but in NM that sort of limits us. So if we want to kayak or fish, we resign ourselves to more neighbors than we like. most of these spots are a fair distance away. Lucky we are retired, and can go during the week ;-)
    there are a lot of types of camping though. as others have said, there is camping where there are sights to be seen and places to explore. There are times we just want to relax in the woods and not see or hear anything but the wind in the trees and the beautiful surroundings. Other times we want to spend a lot of the night out with telescopes, and like a super dark, big open area. Sometimes we need to escape the heat, other times we head to a place that isn't bitterly cold for winter camping. Thankfully, there is a different "favorite spot" for all of these.