What Price should I pay?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by scubacamper, Apr 21, 2017.

1. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    Okay so the van will be ready today and the DW is ready to have a new(er) PUP in the driveway this weekend. My problem is that especially with the new ones, unlike the car business I can't find of have any idea of the buffer between MSRP and actual Dealer Cost so it's hard to know where I stand when I haggle price...any thoughts?

Here's what we're looking at...

1. Jayco 12SC Dealer Price: $18,841 (2017)
    2. Coachman 1285 SST Classic Dealer Price: 18,268 (2017)
    3. Coachman 1285 SST Classic Dealer Price: 9,998 (2012) - Lots of extras

2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    I must be getting old because I think that everything is too expensive. Almost 19,000 for a pop up camper seems absurd.

Alan, QUE, jmkay1 and 6 others like this.
  3. scubacamper

Mar 19, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    It is but then again paying $10 for one that is 5 yrs old is also absurd.

4. JPBar

JPBar Active Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    $16,000 out the door for the 2017 models, you are paying cash so maybe they will bite
    $8,500 out the door for the 2012 model

I have seen other post where you should start at 30% below asking price, but consider you are buying at prime selling season.

Good luck let us know if you get one!!

5. scubacamper

Mar 19, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks JP, that's a help and I'll do better than that I'll post a pic.
    This IS the weekend one of those will most likely be in our Driveway by Sunday...okay that's a lot of hoping they'll work with us on price...remember I was once in the car business...high end.

6. JPBar

JPBar Active Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Doc, this purchase has been a long time coming and everything will work out.

7. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

Jan 23, 2011
    I would go with the used coachman. Like JPBar pointed out you could probably have it at $8500 and avoid the instant depreciation of the new one when you tow it off the lot. You could then think about a TV upgrade with the money you saved on the camper. In any event, you will be camping soon!

8. scubacamper

Mar 19, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    Of the 3 that's my choice but we'll see and if it gets sold between now and tomorrow afternoon I'm going to push her for the 2017 Coachman.

9. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

haggle haggle haggle till you get what you want. Do not be afraid to walk away if the price is not what you want. Often salesperson will chase you down to parking lot, agreeing with your price. sometimes not.

Or ask for additional things like LYNX blocks, portable grill, floormat or something at no additional cost. If the camper does not have A/C, ask for free A/C.

10. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    Wow.....that's LOT of $$$$$ for a pup. I bought my NTU pup in pristine condition foe $6500 and it was only 5 years old. Considering how much camping we do (about 25 nights per year) there was no way we could justify close to $20000.00. Let someone else eat the depreciation and enjoy the savings is what I would recommend.

Alan likes this.
  11. scubacamper

Mar 19, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    What you may not realize is that I was once in the car business and when I was about to buy a 2007 Santa Fe I played the game better than the used-car sales manager and I walked out drove two blocks away and looked at the one I have now. I had the girls with me and NOT the DW so as we now haggled price at one point while he was out we left and I waited about 10 min before calling him back explaining the DD's were anxious to leave (they weren't) but the decision was his Yes or No...after a long hesitation...it was Yes. I can play the game. I've already told the salesman where the 2017 Jayco and the 2012 Coachman are located that if we can't get the right numbers I'll drive back up from St. Augustine and talk to the salesman at General RV about the 2017 Coachman. This is just business. It all depends on how much he and the manger want our business. We don't NEED one we WANT one and there's the difference.

12. Halford

When I need the next camper, I'll call you to get one for me at the price I want.... plus more freebies.

13. scubacamper

Mar 19, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    The problem with asking for freebies is that there has to be enough profit margin in the deal for them to give it to you and a smart manager will ask to meet him half way...yes I did a bit of management in the car business also. If we don't get the 2012 and she wants either of the 2017's whatever the outcome if I think there's room I'm going to ask for the addition of the screen room to be added.

14. Halford

If they wanted to get rid of the popup quickly to make room for other campers, they can accept your request for free freebies. Never know. Never hurt to ask. It is not important for the salesperson to like us but its important that we like them or not.

15. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Not to get too off topic. Obviously this would take too much time but what if you brought your current camper to a custom cabinet maker or furniture maker and told him to rebuild the whole camper. You could probably have the whole thing made out of rare hard wood for less than what a new one cost. I just don't get why they cost so much. Must be a volume thing.

16. scubacamper

Mar 19, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    That's actually a viable thought but then I'd have a custom and specialty PUP that is still listed as a 1993 and I'd NEVER get my money out of it. Not only that but the real expense for me is the canvas and I'm the first to admit that I'd have to get someone else to put it on for me otherwise we won't be camping for a very long time and we've got another trip planned for May (at least one). For as often as we go out we're better getting something newer or a NEW one, not worry about the normal stuff and then in another year or so get something like a 4-Runner or something comparable to use as a better TV. Thanks the thought did cross my mind.

17. NWYuma2004

NWYuma2004 Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Oregon
    Personally, I would never pay more than 5 - 6K for a used tent trailer. What helped guide my price point is what was I comfortable with as a per night (18 - 20 nights/summer) cost to own and operate a camper for 10 seasons. Combine that cost with an average camping space fee per night and I came in right around $6,000. I also don't have to pay to store my camper as that would possibly sway my decision too. The biggest cost savings we've seen with our tent trailer is when we visit National Parks. You will pay through the nose if you want to stay on National Park properties and have access to a kitchenette and enough room for a family of 5.
    I've run the numbers on paying 10K - 15K on any tent camper/hybrid but don't come out ahead of staying in a nice motel/hotel or even just renting a camper for a week when we take out of state trips. Just my two cents.

18. scubacamper

Mar 19, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    NWYuma2004 I understand where you're coming from but this ended up costing me $93K OTD...which means they sold it to us for $8K+++ having come down from the listed price of $9995 on-line or $10500 initially. I was all prepared to do the deal on a 2017 very much like it but at this figure I know we did really good and yes like you I've run the numbers. For the most part we camp almost every month at a FL or GA SP and on an average of $22 per night this is an investment that will pay off by the end of next year with the amount of camping we'll be doing between now and December (luckily we live here in FL) compared to staying in a motel/hotel for the same amount of nights.

19. NWYuma2004

NWYuma2004 Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Oregon
    You got a great deal, scubacamper! If I had more vacation days or camped more I would be able to skew my budget up a bit. I think when people get up into the higher prices of RV's they don't take into account the per night fee they are paying for a 20K, 30K, 80K (non-pup) or more dollar purchase. Will they really use it to the point that they are more comfortable and happier than staying in a 5 star hotel and driving a Porsche?? For us Pup'ers we know why we camp and see the value in it. On the off times we stay at an RV resort for an overnight I'm pretty floored by the number of motor coaches parked near us and often wonder on the above.

scubacamper likes this.
  20. scubacamper

Mar 19, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    I couldn't agree more. The DW Aunt and Uncle came to visit over Christmas and they are Full-Time RVers in their Class "A" and were surprised with the amount of times we go that we aren't in something bigger but as I explained that for the $1k total that I had in it after one year it paid for it's self. They've spoken to many RVers that use their Class "A" or "C" maybe for a week or two a year and then park it which they and we agree is foolish but that's their choice. We do hotels on a rare occasion like when we travel by Amtrak (which we love) up to see family in central PA but otherwise it's usually the PUP and now with the 2012 we may take it to PA with us.