What should I be looking at?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by truckinusa, Aug 12, 2018.

1. truckinusa

truckinusa New Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I was thinking it would be nice on my days off to do a little camping. My goal is to park near the places where there is trout fishing when they start planting. May need a heater, but didn't know how long that would keep me warm in the cold season. I live in Oklahoma. I work every other week. My vehicle is a Toyota Highlander that supposedly tows 5000lbs. I have 2 kids and a wife, but I will generally just be camping with the wife and one kid. I've looked around Craigslist and Facebook and all I see is junk or overpriced newer stuff. I assume I shouldn't pay $4000 over what NADA says for a retail price? Do I need covered storage for a popup? I have plenty of space, but nothing covered.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    emoney likes this.
  2. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    A decent pup cover works fine. Try to stay away from just tarps because they need a little breathing room to prevent mold and mildew build up. Pup-wise, look for the one that suits you and I would peruse RVT.com or RVtrader.com. Local dealers for trade ins etc and even Facebook. Lots of folks are selling there because it’s free

3. truckinusa

truckinusa New Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Is there a particular model, style, brand, time of the year, when/where I can score a deal? This is just an example, but I saw this fairly equipped one near me, but they want too much I believe? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2306247766057369/

4. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I mean for a high wall with a slide out and shower/pottie I don’t think he’s that far off. That pup has about everything you can get in a pup and looks clean in the pics. Are you stuck on a hw with that kinda stuff? If so, I’d think that 5-6k range would be inline with market. A similar new unit is $15-16000

Winter is off season so prices should drop a little. Go look at that one and make an offer of less. Can’t hurt and he can only say “no”

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    awelcome.jpg Greetings from the Connecticut shoreline.

6. truckinusa

truckinusa New Member

Aug 12, 2018
    What does HW mean? Any advantage?

7. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    High Wall. The body is taller than a standard pop up. The advantage is you don’t have to flip over your galley (cooking stove and sink) and you can get actual walls around the shower/toilet. More camper less tent basically. They’re heavier to pull but roomier when there’s a pull out. The unit you linked is getting close to the bottom of its depreciation, meaning you won’t find them drastically cheaper without needing some serious work. Condition is the key to a pop up camper. It’s worth more if it’s been well maintained and take care of

myride likes this.
  8. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Thousand Oaks CA
    HW's are also heavier. My '10 Niagara checks in at nearly 4k lbs.
    Ad you gear and you family and you'd be overloaded.
    My 2015 Tacoma with a 6.5k capacity has all it can handle with the Niagara.

myride likes this.
  9. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    Yup...that's a heavy Pup.....cream Dela cream though...
    HW with all the options...price is fair if condition is as good as it looks.

10. truckinusa

truckinusa New Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Too much weight for the Highlander huh? Its the 4033 model. What would be the max I should look at?

11. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Any non high wall pup without a slide should work. You will give up some things but that’s how it goes sometimes. Still, you will pay less for the unit

12. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    2 adults...2 (at times) kids.....gear....minus tongue weight...I'm thinking somewhere in the 2800-3000 lb range with trailer brakes......always want to leave a safety margin.

13. truckinusa

truckinusa New Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I guess I am just terribly unfamiliar. My dad had an old Wilderness trailer. Maybe it was 20 feet? It had a hydraulic inertia brake cylinder I think they call it? Is that how the braking is going to work or do I need to wire for an electric brake controller?

14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I would look at what's available, and if you don't like it move on. If you get set on something you will never find it.

15. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    You'll need to wire for electric brake controller....easy to do yourself, kits are available. If your tow vehicle needs it you will also need a trailer wiring kit for the vehicle....go with a 7 pin, 4 pin doesn't allow for trailer brakes.

16. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    something else to think about....instead of a pup...a hybird

17. truckinusa

truckinusa New Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I guess I question if those would be too heavy for me to pull. I guess I don't know enough.

18. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    ...and a different towing experiece. ...not as aerodynamic as a pup=more wind resistance/drag and poorer gas mileage.