What size generator to run these items

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Hey im Jay, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Hey im Jay

Hey im Jay Member

Feb 5, 2018
    Sorry for all the silly questions but this is our first pup I want to make so we are set for a 7-Day camping Endeavor we are looking to get a generator there will be two pups going total . It will be 2 mini fridges 2 fans small for the propane heaters and of course LED lights and possibly a kid's portable DVD player TV setup nothing extravagant or big . Hoping a 4000 Watt will work if not please let me know thank you all again and Cheers

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Don't know the fridge draw but 4000 W should have no problem. That's a pretty heavy generator to lug around.

3. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Nov 28, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Yup, as stated above a 4K gen set should suffice [:)C]. That is the same size as the on board gen set on my Tioga Class C of days past. It would run the lights, A/C, and Microwave all at once.

Good luck with your endeavor.

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    It will be twice the generator you need.

I have a 3500/4000 for emergencies. It will run my home fridge, upright freezer, big screen TV, a few lights, and a portable AC.

5. CampStewart

CampStewart Member

Nov 3, 2017
    You need to look at the wattage ratings for what you will be running off of it. You also need to consider the starting load which will be well above the running load for the mini fridges. Those loads should be listed on the units. I think a 1000 watt would probably work but you should do some research on your units. Also consider the noise level for you and others around you.

6. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    The genny is way overkill unless you are going to run the a/c which will only run 1.
    If the mini fridges are 110 and you do not have a large enough battery bank and inverter you will have to run the generator 24/7. Me thinks no and if in any campground you will upset the majority and will most likely have to shut it down for quiet hours.

7. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Mar 3, 2005
    You need to calculate your wattage use....here is the formula. Wattage divided by 120 volt = amperage.
    2000 watt generator for instance has 2000 peak watts ( 2000 divided 120 = 16.6 amps and about 1650-1700 actual running watts. This is 1650 divided by 120 = 13.75 amps 1700 divided by 120 = 14.2 amps. I suggest using a inverter generator for less noise, fuel economy and clean sine wave energy for sensitive electronics.
    The fridges in your pup should be able to run on propane...don’t worry, they use very little propane....amazingly efficient. Most campsites now have restrictions on generator use. Please don’t use the noisy contractor generators, they may be cheaper, but are not efficient and are loud and will not make you very many friends. I have two Champion inverter generators, one is 2000 watt and the other is 3100 but I also have a Go Power 120 watt portable folding solar panel that we use during the non generator run times to keep the battery charged.

8. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    First question is: would you be camping at a full hook up or electricity/water sites? If you are, then you do not need genny.

If you are going to boondock, then maybe you need a genny. your fridge can run on propane. it gets COLD fast! Use propane for Big Buddy heater would do wonder. Use battery on Led Lights for few hours at night. As for TV set up, you can use genny if you like just for a few hours.

9. Hey im Jay

Hey im Jay Member

Feb 5, 2018
    80% Boondock 20% full hookup . I would like to get a propane refrigerator but they are really expensive looking to get warm white LED interior lights 1003 any input

10. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Don't you have 3-way fridge?

11. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    The first thing to consider is batteries. If you size your battery bank right you can go two or more days without having to recharge, then you will only need to run a small, 1000 watt, generator a couple of hours a day to keep them charged. Because you don't have a lot of experience to base this on you should probably do an energy audit. A pretty good reference for this can be found at this site. But they don't consider parasitic draws, such as the propane leak detector which can easily pull more than 5 amp hours per day, or the memory wire on your stereo, if you have one. Another good resource is at the web site The 12volt Side of Life.

You need to be more specific about your "mini fridge" requirement. If you're talking about a typical dorm fridge you need to include in the cost of the fridge the cost of the extra batteries and inverter to power it or the cost difference of a larger generator plus the cost of gas to run it 24/7. I think you'd come out ahead with a couple of good coolers like a Coleman Extreme or Igloo Max Cold.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Hey im Jay likes this.
  12. Hey im Jay

Hey im Jay Member

Feb 5, 2018
    No , 84 Coleman Sequoia it has a sink and a stove on the inside and the stove outside that is it

13. Hey im Jay

Hey im Jay Member

Feb 5, 2018
    There are no batteries yet I'm planning on purchasing two 6 volt batteries I believe the gentleman said they broke out to like 240 amp hours when can buy

14. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Just keep in mind that counting on being allowed to run your generator when you want to may not always be available to you. Here on the East side of the US seems like every public place we go to has generator run time restrictions in place. With this in mind I went for beefing up the battery bank to run high wattage Power Inverter with the idea of only running my generator when allowed to recharge my batteries.

Out West you have more public places you can camp at allowing the use of the generators. I have never been allowed to run my generator between the hours of 8PM to 8AM the next morning anywhere we camp at here on the East side...

My 2KW Honda generator will run my on-board PD9260C 60AMP DC Output converter/charger just fine and this will charge my battery bank when it runs down to the 50% charge state point back up to the 90% charge state point in a three hour generator run time period. Then I can camp the next day/night period off my batteries until the next morning at 8AM...

Most of our camping is off-grid somewhere around the wooded Virginia/West Virginia state line inside the George Washington Natl Forest or up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway. All public camp ground areas... I am not aware of any dispersed camping locations close by here on the East side.

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]