What to do with mount for exterior stove

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Mark Largent, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Mark Largent

Mark Largent New Member

Jun 6, 2017
    Okemos, MI
    There’s a 2 foot long channel about waist high next to my popup’s door that is intended to be a mounting bracket for an exterior stove. I’ll never use it for the stove. Has anyone come up with any good ideas for using it to mount something different?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Table? Oh, I got it tv.

J Starsky likes this.
  3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

That's great place to mount a sink.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Seen a number of people attach a table to that rail. .

5. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    How about a table with led lights underneath? 20180413_121703.jpg 20180413_121913.jpg

6. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Well, I have to say that's the first time I've seen that.

7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We mount the stove there, but don't use it as a stove. We keep it closed and that's the coffee pot shelf. There is a plug right next to it, so works out perfect. I did tell DH he needs to just remount the bracket from the stove onto a plain piece of wood, as the stove is heavy.

8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

@Orchid You may want to remind the DH of this while he is in Carpenter mode already with the Shoe Box.

Orchid likes this.
  9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I did tell him yesterday, when he was building the box. He just gave me a look. :laugh: The box is finished and even painted, just not sharing pics until we get new molding around it. I'm very happy with it! Shoes are my nemesis in a small camper.

When we head to town to get the molding, I will have him get a piece of wood for it. He fights with that stove every single trip. Last trip he never even put it on all the way. It was hanging from the bracket, but not slid in and attached. It was an accident waiting to happen. I agree it's time to fix that. [DUCT]

jnc likes this.
  10. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Nov 3, 2012
    We don’t use our low pressure stove either. I just made a shelf with hinged legs that rest against camper. Think mine is around 42” long. Works well when we put 6’ table underneath,and small items go on shelf.

11. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    somewhere, maybe it was even on this forum somewhere, I saw a picture where someone had 2 trash receptacles with lids hung on the rail. Similar to what some use in kitchen cabinets at home. Not a bad idea as long as you don't dump food stuff garbage in there probably.

We use our stove in that location however, and the stove becomes a shelf when it's not actively in use. I also have a lower table just aft of that location for outdoor work surface when cooking, etc.

12. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

May 22, 2013
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    My Timberlake came with a piece of countertop that could replace the stove. It can also mount on the outside track.

Personally, I will never use that again. It caused the entire wall to separate from the counter next to the door. Took a lot of work to get the two reassembled and structural again.

I may move it to the other side of the trailer and mount it next to the outside faucet for doing dishes. But that is way down the road.

13. hsr

hsr Member

Aug 31, 2011
    This is what I've done to two different campers:
    [​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]
    Build threads in my signature.

Austin Fry, Garrity, jenze and 3 others like this.
  14. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Packerland
    We hang a table from that channel. The receiving channel is widely available to attach to any table you come up with. To help support the weight, so it's not all hanging off the rail, we made legs for our table out of bamboo (hollow) and rigged up an adjustable screw assembly inserted into the bottom of each leg for height adjustment. Underneath, on the outside corners of the table, I screwed plastic caps (like you use on chairs) to hold the legs in place, and I cut 3" x 3" foot pads out of plywood with another set of caps to set the legs into for stability, and to keep them from sinking into the ground. It all comes apart in a jiffy and stows in practically no space at all.

We don't put heavy things on the table, the 7-gal aqua-tainer goes on the picnic table. I use wire hanging shelf baskets on two sides for 'stuff' (vodka bottle [on the side away from the camp road for obscurity], etc). The cooler fits under the table and that's where the ice is - so it makes a nice bar. :p

I also have one of these shelves on the top of the table for added space which doubles as a dish drying rack. These shelves nest and/or fit around the dish pans which stow neatly in the camper bin. It all takes up very little space.

This outside table is from our beloved, long-gone, 1970 Bethany PU which was factory painted lime green to match the camper's décor. :) I repainted it once and over years of use, the lime is showing through and so the "patina" makes me smile. We dearly loved our Bethany and we love camping with such an iconic, historic piece of equipment. <3

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  15. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Kentucky
    I just did this today!! I was in Walmart yesterday looking at the cutting boards when inspiration struck and this happened...

Attached Files:

momofEAP, Rusty2192 and jnc like this.
  16. popup61

popup61 Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Here is the table I made
    We call it the bar

. DSC02058.JPG

jnc likes this.
  17. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Looks great man, needs some drinks.

18. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I just ordered a replacement bracket in order to build a table for that spot. I have a drop in stove, so the camp stove will go there more than likely. Great ideas in this thread!

19. Isaac Bordoy

Isaac Bordoy New Member

Jul 12, 2018
    Where did you buy the Hinge?

20. Lukreynold

Lukreynold New Member

Apr 15, 2017
    yes, please mention where you bought the rail section that attaches to the table. I would also like to use this rail for a table.