What to prepare the 1st night of arriving at campsite?

Discussion in 'Healthy Outdoor Cooking' started by Pop Upp, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Pop Upp

Pop Upp New Member

Jul 23, 2015
    We recently bought our 1st PUP and went on our 1st trip. We got to our campsite very late after a long drive and had to set up the trailer and everyone was tired and hungry and then we still had to make food.

What great tips and quick /easy recipe ideas do you have for the 1st night, after a long drive please?

2. davido

davido Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    Stop in the last town along the way and have a nice dinner together.

Agree ahead of time what will be set up upon arrival. We've arrived in the evening before (previously fed), and knew that all we needed was to pop it up, set up the bunk-ends, hook up water, turn on lights, install door, unpack bedding, brush teeth, go to bed. If you practice setting up at home, it will go faster.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I agree with the above poster. I either quickly grab something in town or eat a sandwich I made at home especially if I know I had a long drive. I usually only set up enough so that the bed is made and just relax. The rest of my set up is done in the morning when I'm refreshed and ready to enjoy the day. I normally have a hearty breakfast and a sandwich at lunch. I'm usually hiking anyway. Most of my dinner prep was done at home so is usually just throwing it in the pan and cooking it. I don't normally make anything elaborate. Fajitas, hotdogs, hamburgers, one pot meals, aluminum foil meals. I buy a salad in a bag or other premade quick things. Yellow squash, corn and similar vegetables are quick. I keep everything in the TV so not much unpacking is involved. With my truck I can leave the back window open and just reach in. Keeping the bags, cooler within easy reach. Most of the time I would leave my suitcase in the car and just grab my clothes for he day or the next day. Less clutter in the trailer and less packing and unpacking. Keep things simple, your camping after all. As you get more familiar with setting up it will go faster.

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Hotdogs on a stick over the fire chased by some chips works for me.

Scott beitzel likes this.
  5. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

May 23, 2008
    SE Wisconsin
    We usually will stop at the last town if we know it will be late and hit a drive thru or other quick place.

Minimal set up that night, as others may already be in bed around the camp sites, and finish in the morning.

We have done hot dogs also.

6. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Central Wisconsin
    I think the easiest thing would be roasting hotdogs over the fire.

Heck, the first time I camped by myself, it got to be so late, I didn't finish setting everything up. I didn't even start a fire. I just ate a couple hotdogs cold. [:(]

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    If we know we'll be late, we grab supper on the road, or have a larger meal mid-afternoon and get a snack after arrival at camp. Neither of us copes well with late meals in general, so that solves a couple of problems.
    We also tend to have mostly easy meals prepped for a trip, that we have cooked and frozen at home - chili, other casseroles, brats, etc. those will reheat quickly on a stove, no need to wait for a campfire. [Full disclosure - we do not cook over campfires at all, don't have wood campfires. Now that we have an LP campfire, we may add foil meals to our repertoire, but not for nights where a quick meal is desired.] One of our other quick meals is hot sandwiches - good bakery bread, meat and cheese, cooked on the griddle or in the skillet. That's nice because I can make half a sandwich when I'm not as hungry.

8. msparl01

msparl01 New Member

Jul 22, 2014
    When we tent camp, we hit up the closest fast food place and grab a burger. Now that we're in the pup, it seems like it takes less time to setup the basics so we do burgers or hot dogs over a fire. My boys are teenagers now and with a little direction are pretty good at helping get stuff setup.

Depending on how late we arrive we may not setup everything. We can get by with just the door and bunks if it's really late. The awning, all the outdoor stuff and other niceties can wait til morning.

9. gruss

gruss Active Member

May 6, 2014
    burgers and dogs over the fire...I use the little grill on the first night quite a bit, it's quicker than starting a fire and I don't have to go buy wood before we eat.

10. billbillbillbill

billbillbillbill Member

Sep 4, 2012
    SLC, UT
    My new favorite camping tool is a propane fire pit. It has been awesome to roll up to the campsite and get that going so the kids and my wife can get cooking hotdogs while I get all popped up. Our old favorite was tin foil dinners. I would get to the site and immediately light some charcoal and by the time we are all set up, they would be done.

11. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    A lot of our trips are "two night weekenders"- leave work early on Friday, hook up, quick stop for standard grocery list, gag-in-a-bag on the way and set up [ALPU] as minimally and quietly as possible on arrival at the campground. Alternate to fast food is rewarming something prepared at home and frozen in a freezer weight ZipLoc bag and reheated in a pot of boiling water. Favorite is green bean and hamburger casserole.

12. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Central Wisconsin
    ^^^^^^

gag-in-a-bag..........never heard that before. I like that. [LOL]

13. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    We will bring something already prepared that does not require reheating, like fried chicken if we know we are getting in late. We usually time our arrival at the campground around dinner time and we plan to eat out. Have been known to back in to the site, chock/unhook and level the trailer, go eat and finish set up when we get back.

14. Harvardroger

Harvardroger If it feels good, do it! If it hurts, Stop!

Sep 5, 2011
    Usually steaks and some sort of grilled vegitable.

15. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I usually pre-cook something at home and heat it up in the portable microwave after we get camp set- up, sometimes if we are camping at a familiar campground we plan on going to a favorite restaurant after set up.

16. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Aug 22, 2014
    If that was the situation, I would have just eaten on the road at a restaurant. If you get in that late, all your gonna want to do is set up and go to bed. It is best to have a full belly. :)

Vin.

17. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Yea, just eat out before you arrive at campsite. Less problems, less fighting, less fussing so forth...

18. WingShot

WingShot New Member

May 14, 2014
    We locate a roadside BBQ on the way. Bring tupperware and have those filled with whatever sampler plate they offer. After setup we'll sit by the fire and have a nice dinner. Haven't done regular fast-food in more then 15 years, doubt my stomach could handle it anymore!

19. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Oct 15, 2011
    A long standing tradition for us was to bring along a prepared spaghetti sauce. Then we would just have to throw together a salad and boil the pasta. We then upgraded to precooked ribs, which we just reheated over a fire. Then we upgraded to going into town after setup and enjoying a good restaurant meal.

20. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Used to be fast food when just the 2 of us. Now with 5 we'll stop by a grocery store on the way and pick up a meal at the deli. Usually cheaper than fast food and stays warm until we get to camp. Chicken and potato salad /mac n cheese is the norm. Grocery is much cheaper than KFC. I remember the last time I went to KFC I laughed and drove off when they told me the total.