What toilets fit under benches?

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by GatorChamp44, Oct 1, 2017.

1. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Trying to find a good camping toilet mostly for night time use and kid's #2s. I would like to be able to stow it during the day. My two options for storage are under one of the benches with a max height of about 15 inches (most of the toilets are 16.5 wide) or in a cabinet with an opening 18 inches tall and 13 inches wide (which I can't widen and most toilets are 13.5 wide). Having trouble finding one that will fit. I would think this is something that others have run into and solved. Any input is appreciated.

Only one I've found is this one so if anyone has one and Liles or dislikes please let me know.

THETFORD PORTA POTTI 260B MARINE 92862 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006WPQMGI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_kvs0zbKFECGYF

2. kstephens

kstephens Member

Jul 28, 2014
    I never could find one that looked like it would be remotely comfortable. I ended up with a thetford curve, and good porta potty tent. My wife and kids used it on one trip (#1 only) - and my wife said it was the best trip she had in the pup. I had two shoulder surgeries last year, and dealing with the pup set up was torture on my shoulders, So I sold it (Pop up) for and got a tt. Still have the curve and tent - listed in the free items (not gross, thoroughly cleaned with bleach after trip for storage). If your near KY come get it.

3. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    We have a Thetford 260B. We bought it for DW's midnight needs. She likes it but she has to put it somewhere between benches because of the height. (She just told me this, so I now have another winter project - find or make a small riser for it to sit on.) It fits our grandson perfectly.

It's very simple to use and empty.

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

If you'd be willing to ship the Curve I'd pay you actual shipping plus $15 for your troubles (assuming it would ship for < $20)

5. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Thanks for the info! How does it do on odor control?

6. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    No odors at all. The toilet comes with a small bottle of chemicals that keeps the odors to a minimum too. (Before you start using the toilet, you add some chemicals and add a little water and that mixture will last for a full holding tank. After dumping a full tank, you have to start the chemical/water process again.) With the 260B, you have to look into the tank to see how full it is.

We usually camp where there are at least vault toilets, so ours is primarily for nighttime use.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  7. kstephens

kstephens Member

Jul 28, 2014
    I would rather see if someone can grab it, My work schedule makes it difficult to get anywhere to ship it. And my free time, I'm hoping to get out camping soon.

8. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

No worries. Wish I was closer.

9. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
  10. ~erik~

~erik~ Active Member

Jan 19, 2015
    North Georgia
  11. Katskamper

Katskamper Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    i have the 5 gallon tank Thetford flushing toilet & love it. I put it in the cabinet by the front door, it fits nicely. I had to cut out a bit of the cabinet base frame, so there was no ledge to go over, and I cut the thin paneling back an inch to make sure it cleared when on the tray.

to make it more user friendly, I made a rolling tray to put it on, so it rolls out for use, & back in for storage (and gave me another 2 inches in height for comfort). I reversed that cabinets door so when its open, its against the camper door. having the toilet positioned in between the sofa and the cabinet also provides something solid to help me and my older guests stand up. here is a pic/instructions on my site:
    https://krazykatsmeow.wordpress.com/2016/11/06/multiple-repairs-accomplished-the-good-the-bad/

i use the liquid chem stuff in the bottom tank, and have started adding a few drops of dish soap to the top water tank, which helps wash the bowl when its flushed. Kids smelly bubble bath also works when chemicals are not available.

the advantage to this type toilet is you can take the bottom portion into the restroom to flush down a regular toilet. (home or camp sites)
    i saw a guy hauling his UP popup to the dump station this last trip as his built in toilet had reached max capacity (from the smell of it). uck. so far, even with multiple campers using it, this toilet can handle a weekend trip no problems.