What would a perfect week of camping include for you?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Tulip, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

We're heading off for a few days of camping in a couple of weeks and I am starting to work through packing and to do lists. When we camp we typically are using our campsite as a home base but going off exploring and doing interesting things.
    This time the kids have requested time to just chill, which has me wondering 1) how we will all fair doing nothing but hanging out and 2) how we will fill our time.

So if you have a perfect week of camping what does that look like for you?
    I'm envisioning hiking and biking, at least one morning afternoon and/or evening kayaking,
    time around the campfire to knit or read, swimming, family games, time for photography and some sketching or painting, maybe some stargazing, a trip into the camp store or to town for ice cream, ongoing round robin badminton challenge.
    What does it look like for you?

Orchid and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  2. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

For me ( us ) just relax. Sometimes the spur of the moment adventure or excursion is the best time. We mainly do the mountains of NC and VA. Love to check out local antique shops, etc. If we are near the Blue Ridge Parkway we will pack up lunch and cold drinks and make a day of it. There are always places to explore.
    The best times are always unexpected.

Rik Peery and Tulip like this.
  3. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Rise at o dark thirty, take a whizz, start some coffee, head to the water just as it's light enough to see...either start fan casting the bank or ease the yak into the drink & paddle to a point & start fishing...snap some pics if the opp presents 'em, keep casting...after 4-6 hours, head back to the site & the wife has a mongo breakfast waiting w/ more coffee...then maybe a power nap, then find more crap to do...since the breakfast part rarely happens, disregard that part...that evening as the sun drops, I'll get the flames going & settle in w/ a Corazon amber Mexican Mule or 2 & reflect on the day, then start all over again the next morning...

Tulip, kcsa75, Orchid and 1 other person like this.
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I have two types of trips that I take:

1. Relaxation camping trips. These are just to get away and have some downtime from the job. On these, I usually do a like hike/walk with the dogs daily, a little photography if I see something interesting, and a lot of reading. I save my new books up for these trips and read whenever I am not moving or sleeping. I usually do more cooking than normal.

2. Trips. These are built around sightseeing and photography. I am much more on the go and spend much less time at my home base. I plan in advance and have at least two "sites of interest" that I visit each day. Food is less involved and is just something to keep me from getting hungry. Reading is dedicated to nighttime for the most part.

Over the past few years since stress at work went into overtime, most trips have been type one. With retirement just days away, I will be doig more type two trips.

5. Toedtoes

1. You'll fair fine. If you start getting bored you'll go for a walk or swimming, etc. You just aren't pre-planning the activities.

2. Same as you do now, just not on a schedule.

Bring the gear, just don't plan when they get used. The kids will find time to do these things just be more casual about when. Instead of the early morning kayaking, maybe they'll sleep in a bit and kayak midday. Maybe they'll chill and play cards more than usual. Maybe they'll spend a whole day reading.

Getting bored is one of the lost arts in this day and age. Just vegetating is relaxing. Don't worry, they'll be happy.

hq308 and Orchid like this.
  6. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Trust me. Your kids are not going to chill very long without tv, video games, computer, etc. Unless you have those things. It would be wonderful if they would read.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Yea, good luck with that. Kids now a days need constant sensory imput. Yes, i know im at fault for letting it happen. I would be happy if they did what we did as kids, but alas they dont. The schools are all work and computers from kindergarten. Lot less emphasis on imagination. Hopefully we can break that a bit by camping.

8. tombiasi

Some kids are amazed by things in nature once you explain what's going on.
    Get some field guides and identify birds and plants. Make a contest out of it.

Tulip and Rik Peery like this.
  9. Toedtoes

I don't think it's so much different. It's just our "chill time" activities have changed. In my day, it was playing pong or asteroids. Watching tv was an excuse for vegetating - doing nothing. Kids are still great at doing nothing, they just look at different things while doing nothing. Texting each other replaced talking on the phone for hours. They still lay around listening to music. For all the time adults roam the internet - looking at forums, FB, etc., it's no different than the kids playing video games. It's a mindless activity that lets the brain recharge.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I wish! Unfortunately grandma lives on a lake and feeds all sorts of animals, its like dr Doolittle in her backyard,lol. Want to fish , just grap a net and grap a catfish, turtle etc. She feeds them all by hand. That goes for squarles , racoons, birds. So nature to my daughter is tame wild animals that eat out of your hand. I might try the plants, but she shows little interest in the garden other then the initial planting. I try though , i really do.

Orchid, Rik Peery and Toedtoes like this.
  11. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

An ideal camping trip includes a few new books and lots of split firewood for our daily campfire. If our trip is near an attraction we will spend some time exploring. Hope your trip goes well no matter what you plan.

Tulip likes this.
  12. tombiasi

That's all you can do. Don't let her feed the animals at camp.

Rik Peery likes this.
  13. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

For us a great site means a chance to chill, nice and quiet. Bacon sausage and eggs as a treat for breakfast and being able to walk off camp with the dog and not encounter any traffic, starry skies and a pub within stumbling distance[CB][A]

Tulip, tombiasi and Rik Peery like this.
  14. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Peace, quiet and fish biting.

15. tombiasi

I also like it if the campground is empty.

Ruby Jean and Toedtoes like this.
  16. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

We may be the exception to that. We discourage the use of personal devices when camping. My youngest 12 yrs now is a lover of nature. My oldest was the same when he was ( 18 now and soon off to UVA ) camping. He is an avid reader.
    We do have the tv and movies.

Tulip, Arlyn Aronson and Rik Peery like this.
  17. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We do hikes or work on trails, commonly while boon-docking.

We always have a wood fire and listen to the wildlife. (not other campers)

Normally can not see any lights and have no cell service. But that's not really our goal....

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    Rik Peery likes this.
  18. tombiasi

Glad to hear that.

19. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

A perfect week of camping for me is one where it's not raining and a good mixture between chilling out at camp and going on adventures. Chilling at camp includes walking the dog(s), just walking the campground and people watching, or reading a book. For my niece she can spend hours at a pool as long as somebody engages with her. So I can’t exactly sit on the sidelines watching her play. Otherwise she will be pulling that phone out watching YouTube. I have bought camping games in which we can play at camp. Bean bag toss, frisbee, beachball, and badminton have been fun campgames and don’t take much room. Sadly my niece is incapable of occupying herself so has to be engaged playing with someone. So as much as I would love to read a book unless I allow her back on that phone I have to engage her in a game. She does enjoy our adventures though so for that I’m thankful.

Tulip, Sjm9911 and Rik Peery like this.
  20. Toedtoes

My nieces learned early that there were other things to do than tv and phones. First, I told them from day one that my tv didn't get cartoons. They never questioned that. I always had a craft project for them to do. Fingerpaints were very popular. I could relax while they painted. With my younger niece, I gave her a camera and she just loved that. She would take photos of her stuffed animals. She loved the timer function so she could get in the photo too.

Don't give up on your niece. Bring coloring books, craft supplies, etc. Things she can do by herself. Then sit down at camp with a book and let her spend some time coloring, etc. If she lasts only 5 minutes, that's 5 minutes you didn't entertain her. Keep doing it everyday. Try different crafts until you find something she likes. Be sure to compliment her finished products, but don't discuss it while it's ongoing.

Tulip likes this.