What's the tire deal?i

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Enigmacamper, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Member

Nov 5, 2017
    I'm trying to find out if there are any "gold standard" tires for campers? I'm obviously wanting to avoid a blowout or flat, other than checking tire pressure I'm not sure the lifespan/maintenance etc. of the tires or if they should be upgraded for a more resilient model? I thought I'd read once that stock tires aren't great but I might be wrong there.

2015 Aliner Scout one-axle popup.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Tires are rated for weight, then speed. Depending upon what you want there are bias and radial tires. Each has there uses. Lastly is the age, most say 5 years is a good number. The tires get effected by uv rays from the sun and end up with cracks in them. So some like to cover them. So , check these things and don't go over the speed rating or weight rating . This contributes to blowouts.

3. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    Don't buy the cheapest ones you find.
    I like Maxxis. Some like Goodyear.
    Replace them at 5-7 years old, no matter how they look.
    Get the right load range, keep them properly inflated.

joet likes this.
  4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    I have had good luck with Kendra's. But what ever tire you endup with. Proper inflation is the key to longivity

theseus likes this.
  5. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    I use Loadstar Kendas. The key is, in my opinion, get one higher load rating than the camper calls for and properly inflate them. Coleman used Class C load range tires on mine. I use D. I prefer bias ply tires while some prefer radial. I don't see any difference in performance personally.

By the way the Loadstars have a speed rating of 81mph. Some of the less reputable tires have lower speed ratings. I like highway speeds myself...

One last thing. Replace your tires every two to three years. They won't wear out; they will dry rot and blowout.

gatorbait likes this.
  6. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    There are several quality brands out there. I put Kenda Loadstars on my Pup and Carlisle Radial Trail HDs on the Cougar.

As others have said the most important things are make sure the tire has the proper load range, and maintain proper inflation.

But IMO you should consider how you plan to use the Pup. If you're going to be doing a lot of long distance traveling then I would lean toward a higher end tire -- Goodyear, Michelin, etc. In our case, we do 90 percent of our camping at one of two lakes that are about 15 miles apart. I store the campers and my boat in a little town in between so the longest tow is about 7-10 mile at a time. I don't need a $150 tire to do that.

As you research, youll find people that love every tire brand out there and just as many that hate them. Whatever direction you decide to go, I'll suggest you give Discount Tire a shot. They matched Wal-Mart on price and the service is absolutely second to none. [:)C]

7. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    Amazon gets me my tires in just 2 days :D

8. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Ok so there are different "Load ratings" and the further down the alphabet the higher the rating?

9. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Yes we have a lot of traveling in mind, most not very local. Haha I was hoping there was just a "gold standard" tire but looks like this is not a very simple matter either ;).

10. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    That is correct. The key with load ratings is that you don't want to be at the top of a rating. Better to have too much tire than barely enough.

All this said, a load range D tire will cost more than a C tire.

11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Additionally , some sizes are harder to find then others. So , that can limit your choices when set on a certain brand.

kcsa75 likes this.
  12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    I'll toss out one more piece of info.. say you have 180/80/13 size tires in load range C, do not replace them with 175/80/13 load range C tires.. Those two tire sizes while close, have a different weight carrying capacity from each other. Each tire size (180, 175 etc.) have different load ranges.

I chose these two tire sizes as they are both popular for pop-ups are often subsituted for each other, but they have different load ranges. More then one member has been caught by that after having new tires installed..

13. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Member

Nov 5, 2017
    I'm really glad to know this, I had no idea.

Question, can I put on LARGER tires? We had the camper lifted 2-3 inches so there is room and in my mind a larger tire means fewer rotations means less wear...can I do that or am I missing something important?

14. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Yes a larger tire will have fewer RPM's., But old age will get a pup tire before it wears out. Since you have lifted the pup, consider 14 inch tire. A 14 inch can carry a higher weight

15. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Read the sire specifications on your tires and the ones you are going to buy, before you buy a tires.

16. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    Heat will kill the tire. The faster you drive the hotter the tire. So if you plan on driving fast you should get really good tires.

17. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Haha, it takes us so much longer to get places than most folks. My hubby wants to be able to at least drive the speed limit but not blowing a tire is more important obviously.

I don't understand why car tires are fine at speed limit but camper tires aren't. Can you get car tires for campers?

18. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Member

Nov 5, 2017
    I just realized you put the speed rating for the Loadstars, thank you! We definitely want a higher speed rating.

...might be a dumb question, where does one GO for camper tires? I don't want to put them on myself...

19. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    I assume you have 13" tires on your 2017 Scout. We have 13" tires on our 2018 Scout. I worked and retired from a major tire manufacturer. It has been years since we made 13", 14", or 15" tires. At one time you could find 14" and 15" Light Truck tires, but they are non-existent. Most production moved to 18", 19", and larger dimensions. It was a fluke, but before I left, there were some 13" tires offered from a plant start up in Mexico. I bought 4 of them. I still run about 65mph, just because of the better gas mileage. We have dragged the camper on them over half of Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina and they still do well.

Most tire dealers can get camper tires, or you can order them from Northern Tool or eTrailer.

20. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    Check online for tire prices from TireRack and such. Many local shops will price match.

Also, you can get a cheap infrared thermometer and use it to check your tires. When ever you stop, just check the temp of each tire - if one is significantly higher temp than the others, you have a potential problem.

You can also get these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HRIKMNC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once you pick your tires, get the proper tire pressure and have them instll them with the tires. Then you can just look and see if your tire pressure is good to go or not.