Wheel Bearing Hub "Grime"

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by WhiskeyTakesTheWheel, Jul 29, 2018.

1. WhiskeyTakesTheWheel

WhiskeyTakesTheWheel New Member

May 14, 2018
    First pop up and its fairly new - 2015 mac. The old owner didn't know what repacking bearings were so I figure'd it was a good idea to knock that out before any trips, but the housing has some very hard "grime" buildup that I wasn't expecting. Is this normal & not an issue with enough grease? If not, then is this something to try and clean off with a wire brush or are these hubs shot?

Edit: I sprayed purple power on it and tried to scrub off with a general sponge but nothing was coming off. If I scrape with my nail, this also doesn't remove any.

https://imgur.com/a/1owX33o

image3 (2).jpeg image2 (4).jpeg image1 (3).jpeg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

May 18, 2009
    Hutto, Texas
    The spindle rides in the bearing race. I don't see any problems with what you have in the pictures.

Phoodieman

kcsa75 likes this.
  3. WhiskeyTakesTheWheel

WhiskeyTakesTheWheel New Member

May 14, 2018
    So its normal to get that buildup where the threads sit in the middle?

4. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

May 18, 2009
    Hutto, Texas
    Unless this is a set up I'm not used to, those aren't threads. Just lathe turn artifacts from the secondary machining on the cast hub. It's hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like you still have the races pressed in. The axle spindle wouldn't come near to contacting any of those areas, and should be full of grease after you re pack and reinstall. In fact the set up looks in excellent condition. Just properly repack, grease and tighten it all up and you should be in great shape.

Phoodieman

5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Repack them. they will be fine. Machining marks

xxxapache likes this.
  6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    ditto^^^^^^^