wheel bearing lube

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by peter moyes, Mar 15, 2018.

1. peter moyes

peter moyes Active Member

Feb 6, 2018
    if i put grease by just removing the cap and grease it , is that ok?

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    No. How you repack or grease your bearings depends on what system you have. Do you have zerks on your hubs?

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I agree with BikeNfish, it really depends on the system you have if an older type system without zert fittings.
    Below will give you an idea on what is required
    You have to remove the wheels, hubs and take the bearings out, grease them and replace, after checking the seals, bearings etc. You might want to replace the rear seals anyway, to remove the rear bearings you need to remove the seal and sometime that ruins the seal . It is not really that hard to do.

4. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    Whenever a press in seal is removed it needs to be replaced.

5. peter moyes

Feb 6, 2018
    no it dont have grease nipple,,,if i pop the cap of i should see grease right

6. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    Yes, if you pop off the cap, some grease should be visible.....HOWEVER, you are only looking at the side of the outer bearing, there is ANOTHER bearing back behind that, the only way to get at it is pull the hub, pull the rear seal, THEN you can pull the inner bearing to grease it, hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  7. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho

Garrity likes this.
  8. peter moyes

Feb 6, 2018
    great vid thank you ,i have to pull the hubs anyway ,try and get the brakes working ,the camper is a work in progress and my learing is to ..lol thanks guys

DJS12354 likes this.
  9. John Rock

John Rock Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Quebec
    That video seems counter intuitive since it looks like there's a grease nipple on that wheel, yet he takes the whole thing apart.

10. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    The grease fitting is on the axle. I see your point however, it looks like it might be an EZLube axle and didn't need disassembly unless inspection was desired. He inspected and also wanted to show lube procedure for the video.

11. peter moyes

Feb 6, 2018
    great info ,,i also got a 12 x 12 add a room ,,thats the next thing i need to try and put up ,lol

12. CampStewart

CampStewart Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Taking it apart like he did is far superior to filling it up with grease via a zerk fitting. There is quite a bit of empty space between the two bearings and to properly grease both of them you have to fill that cavity up. When you pump new grease in it combines with the morass of old grease before anything finds its way to the bearings. and what finally gets to the bearings may be from 3 or 4 lubes ago. You don't really have any way of knowing how much grease may be being pumped past the inside grease seal. Just man up and take it apart as he did.

After taking the hub off you can set it down on a table with the outside facing up and use something like a large socket to push down on the bearing and pop the grease seal out without damaging it. I don't ever remember ever replacing a grease seal and I have done this dozens of times.

13. John Rock

John Rock Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Quebec
    It certainly looks more thorough to take it apart, but does that mean that using the easy way will lead to problems? If so, why even offer this greasing method?

14. tombiasi

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
  15. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
    Just remember not to over grease. There has to be room for expansion of the grease or it will push out of the seal and get inside of the drum. That will effect the brakes.

16. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    The Zerk fitting is not there to pack the bearings. It is there to add a little grease to the reservoir between the bearings. If the bearing starts getting warm, the grease will soften and hopefully flow into the warm bearing. I've seen over greasing stop an industrial machine. After machine maintenance and start up, it slowed and tripped off. A new mechanic had lubed the bearings. When we unseated the Zerk center ball, grease shot out like a zit. It took a couple of times for the grease to stop flowing, but the bearings still ran warm due to all the grease it was trying to move while turning.

Not shown in the video, I would grease the spindle before installing the hub. Another small protection for the seal going on.

I need to edit this: The old Zerks fed a passage that exited between the bearings, which is what I was talking about above. After more research, the EZ Lube passage exits between the back seal and bearing. I prefer the old way.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  17. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    I don't like bearing buddies setups. Creates false sense that you "greased it" and you're all good. If you don't want to do it 100%, then bring it in and have it done. Your tow bill, spindle and bearing set will far exceed the cost of packing wheel bearings... The vacation you save might well be your own [HH] Once of prevention kinda stuff here.

terry1419 and Halford like this.
  18. tombiasi

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    An EZ Lube axle is not a Bearing Buddy. It does repack the bearing.

19. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    A rose by any other name..... Nothing replaces a job done well, in my experience. Your mileage may vary.

20. tombiasi

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Are you saying that an EZLube axle is the same as a Bearing Buddy?