Wheel Bearing Seals

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by opie232, Apr 20, 2016.

1. opie232

opie232 Member

Dumb question,

I have never serviced the bearings opn my PUP, Yes I know thats bad but I did have new bearings and seals installed with a complete brake system when I bought it. My question is where can I find the correct size seals for my unit? I do not see them in the owners manual. Can I get buy with re using the existing seals if they are not worn or cracked. Just bought a new set of shoes for her since the old tires are cracked. Figured it was a perfect time to repack the bearings as well.

It is a 97 Jayco 1207KB.

Help is always appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

depends on your axle.. 10" Dexter? snap picture of the brake when you take off the drum and go to a trailer shop. they should have everything there. show them the picture of the drum and the brake system then they will know which seal and bearings you need.

On the second thought, I am not sure there's brakes in there. snap pic of front of drum, then show the trailer shop what you have.

3. opie232

opie232 Member

Will do. Thanks

4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Take the old seal to your local auto parts store. They can match the part number on the seal. They may not have it in stock but they can order it. If you need to order get 4 and save 2 for possible emergency.

5. fix_it

fix_it Member

1207 kb has a #9 dexter Axle with 7" hydraulic brakes. It's a 2400 lb Axle with straight spindles. It's a common seal but I don't have the number. Maybe this info will help track it down.

6. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

NAPA likely has them. Just take hub in with you.

7. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Yes, if you have standard hubs, the seals aren't leaking and appear to be in good condition, you can reuse the old seal(s).

If you're going to replace bearings anyway, spend $13-$25 a wheel and get a kit with the seals, cotter pin, grease cap, bearings and races. Any commercial trailer shop or RV dealer will have them.

If you have brakes with bearing buddies or ezlube axles, you should replace the grease seals.

8. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

If the bearings and races are in good condition, you don't need to replace them, just the seal.

9. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Since bearing seals are not that expensive I would also recommend replacing them whenever you pull the bearing out.