Wheel Bearings on a 94 Rockwood XL

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Hammockpacker, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Hammockpacker

Hammockpacker New Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Hi Guys,

I need a little advice on checking the bearings on my 94 Rockwood XL camper. Just want some general information from those with experience on how to best check the bearings to make sure they are good and I don't have any surprises on future trips. I'm not sure if the bearings have been replaced before. I bought this camper for $100 last summer because the roof was completely roached. I have since rebuilt a new roof for it and went camping last summer with no issues. I am just curious to know if there is any advice any of you would have on checking and replacing the bearings on this camper. Camping world wants to charge me $170 to do this job...and I'm just not sure if it needs to be done. I was only looking into it for my own peace of mind. However, if I can have peace that the ones I already have are in good shape, this would be the best!

Before my trip last summer, I lubed both hubs. When lubing one of them, the grease fitting popped out (which I will need to replace). I also replaced both tires with new ones. When I had each wheel jacked up, I spun the wheel to makes sure each had a smooth movement with no noise. there was only the slightest amount of movement in one wheel when I attempted to move the wheel from side to side (almost unnoticeable). I'm just trying to take precautions and if necessary, do this job myself. If this is a job I take on, getting the right parts seems to be the biggest issue (finding the right bearings to fit this axle seems daunting).

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    If you do not know the last time the bearings were repacked, then you should have them repacked. That is the only way to get peace of mind.

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Do the job yourself. It is not hard. YouTube had plenty of videos. Your trailer probably has common sized bearings and seals. Tractor Supply, Rural King, and most chain auto parts stores will have them.

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I forgot to say hello and welcome!

5. Hammockpacker

Hammockpacker New Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Thanks so much guys!

6. Hammockpacker

Hammockpacker New Member

Mar 26, 2018
    So what is the best way to find the specific bearings I need from Tractor Supply or Rural King? both of these stores are close to my house. I feel comfortable doing this myself if I can know for certain I have the right bearings to do the job. Is there a resource online that can tell me the specific bearings to buy for a 1994 Rockwood XL 1270ss?

7. Hammockpacker

Hammockpacker New Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Thank's BikenFish!

8. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    The most foolproof way is to remove the bearing and take it with you to the shop...Remember, if you are going to replace the bearings, you should also replace the races. The bearings ride on the races inside the hub and they wear together over time. The races can be stubborn to remove. Depending on the hub you have, you can actually get a new replacement hub (with new races already pressed in, with new bearings, new rear seals and new lug nuts) for roughly the same price as buying the separate pieces at the local store. Etrailer.com is the place to shop. Ordered new hubs for my 96 Rockwood 1640 last week....less that $19 per side! I had previously spent the same amount just to replace the bearings and seals....

9. Matt Benoit

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI

Wooooohoooo UPS just showed up as i was typing....time to install my new hubs!

jnc likes this.
  10. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Hate to say it, but no one will be able to tell you easily. Your best bet is to just pull the hub, and find the part number under all the grease.

Matt Benoit likes this.
  11. Hammockpacker

Hammockpacker New Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Wow Matt. This is a HUGE help! I never thought about replacing the hubs. If it's anywhere close to $19 per side I'M DEFINITELY DOING THIS!!! Thanks So Much Bro!!!

12. Hammockpacker

Hammockpacker New Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Matt,
    Any specific info I might need at etrailer.com in matching a set of hubs to my camper? I won't be able to get into this for the next couple weekends, but hopefully, I can find the same hubs that will be a direct fit to my Rockwood. Anything specific I should look for on the hubs I have for identifying info before ordering? If you found some that were a direct fit to a 96 Rockwood, I would think that odds are good I'll find some to fit my 94 Rockwood (they might even be the same hub).

13. Hammockpacker

Hammockpacker New Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Looks like I may have answered my own question on sizing the hubs. Looks like I'll just need to take note of the spindle shafts (straight or tapered) and then get an inexpensive micrometer to get the diameter(s) for choosing the hubs with the correct bearings. I suppose this will give me the info I need to order hubs off e-trailer with confidence. Will probably get a couple ez-lube kits while I'm in there. I was just hoping to be able to avoid pulling the hub first and have all the parts I needed before getting into the project (instead of having to pull the hubs to get the info and then wait another week or 2 before I could actually do the job.) Thanks again man! Huge help.

14. Matt Benoit

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    If you can identify the bearing (pull one hub, check straight or tapered spindle, and clean off a bearing to see the numbers) you won't need a micrometer to measure the spindle. Match the new hub/bearing kit with the bearing that is on the pup now. My bearing was labeled L44649 on both the inner and outer. Same bearing inside and out = straight shaft. Found the hub assembly that utilizes L44649 and a straight shaft.... $19.12 Cant beat that. Just finished the install. Took about an hour. Make sure you choose a hub that is rated for your pups axle weight. My pup is small (1000lbs). And use a good quality wheel bearing grease! buy a couple of tubes so you can use the same grease for years to come. Im told its not ideal to mix various types of grease. hope this helps.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hubs-and-Drums/etrailer/AKIHUB-440-2-2K.html

15. Matt Benoit

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI

Here is my old bearing, you can see the identification number.... After you clean off all of the grease! Lol
    20180402_170116.jpg

16. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    Tractor Supply some of the more common size hubs already loaded with greased bearings and seals.

17. Matt Benoit

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    I hate to keep replying, lol. Thought of one more thing. Whether you decide to replace the hubs or just the bearings and races, at minimum keep an old set of bearings greased and in a ziplock in the pup. If you replace the hubs, keep an old hub with the old bearings in the pup. Always better to be safe than sorry....

jnc likes this.
  18. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    x2 on spares. I carry spare bearings for all my trailers.

Hammockpacker likes this.
  19. Hammockpacker

Hammockpacker New Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Great Suggestion. Thanks!