wheel bearings - why so "bad"?

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by fun4dad2, Sep 10, 2015.

1. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Yep, sealed for life.... Life of the bearing... Whatever that is....lol

soft 17 likes this.
  2. Eskimorob

Eskimorob PUP life

Jul 5, 2016
    When I bought our 10 yo Jayco, I asked the previous owner if he ever did the bearings, he hadn't. He was the second owner and had the camper 5+ years. I went ahead and replaced the bearings because I was going to tear the hubs down anyway for inspection, and for peace of mind. Call it cheap insurance. 10 years may be a bit too long for hub service as the grease was showing some age but I'm sure it was still doing the job. With that said, my fil never had any hub maintenance done on his pups and he subjected them to heavy use on his annual 4 month jaunts around the country, so maintenance seems optional, ymmv. But I'm a better safe than sorry guy. Really really really don't want to be on the side of the road with smoking hubs, or looking at a spindle/axle replacement.

3. megcabra

megcabra Member

Good call on your part! I even keep a spare set stowed in the camper just in case.

06E748CC-D995-4080-AB1C-A97C42CC31EE.jpeg

4. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE
    Entertaining thread. ;) I don't worry about bearings any where near as much as I did 30 years ago. When I towed boats up and down the east coast with small wheels I used to carry a spare hub with fresh bearings pre-installed. Last thing I wanted to do by the side of the road was replace blown bearings (once was enough).

Bearings have become better, wheels have become larger, many trailers now have bearing buddies or similar, all my recent Ranger boats have had oil filled hubs, things are much easier. All I do these days is keep them greased, check for heat and or wiggle at gas stops - and maybe have them replaced every 5 years or so. (assuming I keep the toy that long ;) )