Wheel boot vs hitch lock

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by GA Judy, May 18, 2016.

1. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Oct 15, 2010
    We'll be camping in a state park for about 8 days but will be gone for daytime and early evening hours for a few days but staying in the camper overnight while we visit with family for a wedding and all the festivities. I was prompted by the recent discussion of trailer theft and decided to look into hitch locks and wheel boots to compare and review. From what I found, MegaHitch Pro (for 2" ball) was expensive but the YouTube videos sold the idea for anti-theft protection. However, I could never get MegaHitch to answer my emails or phone calls, so started looking into a wheel boot. I wound up buying a California Immobilizer Wheel Boot which will arrive tomorrow. It looks like it will do the trick. Was wondering if anyone else has used the wheel boot or even the MegaHitch Pro.

2. o740c314i9xt

o740c314i9xt Member

Sep 8, 2015
    A thief must remove the wheel boot, but with a long hitch they can get behind the hitch lock. In essence using the trailer A-frame as a coupler.

NothingsChocking likes this.
  3. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Oct 15, 2010
    So the wheel boot is a better idea! BTW, MegaHitch finally called me this evening around 7 PM (their time 4 PM) but I had already purchased the California Immobilizer Wheel Boot. Luck was with me.

4. Rob-N-Kat

Rob-N-Kat Member

Aug 15, 2012
    I have never really worried about the camper when it's all set up in a campground. If a thief want's to go through all the effort to collapse the camper to steal it no anti-theft device will probably stop them. Sitting all closed up is a whole other matter.

5. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    It is extremely unlikely that a thief would steal a pup that is open and set up in a campground. Maybe a million to one odds or even more.

If a thief is going to all the bother of breaking camp to steal the pup, what would stop them from removing the booted wheel and putting on the spare?

A boot that doesn't cover the lugs is one tiny step above worthless.

I have never locked mine, anywhere, anytime, so I guess that proves that doing nothing prevents theft! [LOL]

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I can't comment on the two devises, however I often leave the camper alone when I go camping. I treat my camp as a base camp. From sunup I'm off hiking and don't normally come back to site after dark. Even once going on a quick backpacking trip and didnt get back to the camper until the following afternoon. As long as the camper is fully set up and you keep valuables on you or in your TV you shouldn't have any problems. Obviously having a lock it a good deterrent for an honest theif and would be good to have for those moments you need to store your popup somewhere out in the open. Just don't forget to take it off when you pack up.

7. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Oct 15, 2010
    It might be overkill, but at least it gives peace of mind. Thanks, all, for your replies. There are a lot of thefts of all sorts where we are camping but I don't know if they were in or around the campground too.

https://www.grainger.com/product/39C426?gclid=CNXT0Ji76cwCFU0vgQodLPMPMQ&cm_mmc=PPC:GOOGLEPLAA-_-Fleet%20and%20Vehicle%20Maintenance-_-Automotive%20Exterior-_-39C426&AL!2966!3!50916716277!!!g!82495663077!&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!50916716277!!!g!82495663077!&ef_id=VLBcEAAABFi1sKoe:20160520201143:s

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I don't worry about it, I do not think anyone would back up, hook up and leave with my TT. I do put a lock (case hardened) thru the hitch.
    Most campers are there to enjoy the outdoors. If not then I do have insurance and also protection if I catch them..

9. bflentje

bflentje Member

Aug 24, 2009
    If you catch them in the act you cannot legally use your "protection" unless your life is in danger. But that's another thread.. that will usually get deleted. [}:)]

10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I have never worried about theft of my RV when set up, I have a case hardened lock that I put thru the holes in the hitch and lock it closed, I also use this when towing the TT. (Had a boat come off once, never again) If I was that worried about someone stealing my TT I would go some place else because nothing would really be safe around the camp site.

11. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    I would guess the likelihood of having someone steal a setup camper in a state campground is extremely low.
    As for the hitch lock outside of a campground, all they need to do is connect the chains to their truck and drive away...it's worthless.
    Wheel lock, pull it off and replace with a spare.
    I do not put on any type of locks to secure my trailer in my driveway. That's why I have insurance. But I guess if I did catch someone, my instinct would be to hold them till the local LE comes to take him (her, them) off my hands.

Maycat likes this.