Wheel Pressure Rating

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by mstrbill, May 7, 2018.

1. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    The tires on the Niagara are 205/75R14 50 PSI GY Marathon LRC(capacity 1760lb). I would like to replace them with the new GY Endurance tires. These are LRD(capacity 2040lb) tires with a speed rating of 87mph. They are however need 65PSI while the Marathons are 50PSI tires. I can't seem to find a max rating on the aluminum Niagara wheels. Googling seems to suggest there should a stamped rating inside a circle on the wheel, but I don't see anything like that. Another 15PSI doesn't seem like it should be a problem. Does anyone know anything about the Niagara wheels?

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Rims are usually stamped inside with the size, pressure rating etc..

By inside I meen what is currently covered by rubber...

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Don't know about your wheels., but at 65 PSI I believe that you will need to replace the valves with a bolt in

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  4. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    Well, that's useful, I won't know if I need new wheels until I get to the tire store and have the old tires removed. Guess I better figure to take off the wheels at home.

5. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    Strangely enough, one wheel has a steel valve and the other a new rubber one. not sure how that happened.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Both valve stems were probably steel vales to start with and someone damaged one by using an aluminum cap and replaced the metal stem with a rubber one..