Wheel Well Repair

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Bigantlers, May 17, 2019.

1. Bigantlers

Bigantlers Member

When I was bringing the PUP home last year I had a tire blow and put a hole in the plastic wheel well. I put packing tap on it which worked well but is peeling off. I was going to use Flex Seal tape to sandwich the hole from each side but saw some posts discouraging its use.

So any suggestions of how to patch a plastic hole without replacing the well?

It has to hold up to the elements of course. I was wondering if I could lay some on it using tap as a mold but I'm thinking it won't be thick enough or rigid.

2. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

I've thought about this in the past. I haven't had a damaged wheel well, but I always thought that I would patch it using some thin aluminum, glued and riveted to the wheel well.
    I doubt the Flex Tape would last very long.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

How big is the hole?

4. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

I need to do this too - in my case, from tire rubbing

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Ours wells are just thick flashing, or thin metal. A piece of thick flashing, with solid rivets, and sealant should fix about any size hole, even around corners. Should work on plastic, also.

6. Overland

Overland Active Member

I only know my particular camper, so excuse me if i'm mistaken. But aren't these plastic wheel wells like mine where they screw to the floor and wall with a flange?

New well, screws, and silicone sealant and done? I'm sure i'm missing something.. ;)

7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I had a 1 x 3 or so hole in mine. I used JB steel stick or similar to cover it....I just pushed it over the hole.

8. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I had a little bit of wear through the plastic on mine from the tire being too close (I hope the axle flip fixed that issue). I couldn't think of anything brilliant so I slapped some eternabond tape on it. It's in the sink cabinet so it's easy to check up on. So far so good. It's been towed through some nice PNW rainstorms.

But this was just a thin patch with a few pinholes. A bigger hole might require some effort!

9. Bigantlers

Bigantlers Member

Here's what it looks like:

IMG_1942_smallert.jpg

Its about 4" across by 1". Eternabond may be an option. maybe I can fill the void with epoxy sandwiched in between two pieces.

10. WrkrBee

Is that wood or insulation behind the hole?

11. Bigantlers

Bigantlers Member

No that is tape and beyond that is the storage space the well sits in. Up to this point I put packing tape on the well and then put a layer over the hole from inside the camper.

12. Bigantlers

Bigantlers Member

@Overland : I plan on doing work to the lower half next year so maybe I'll just through new wells in. Its pretty much like you described.

@xxxapache : JB Steel Stick? I'll have to look into that to get me through the season.

13. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

@xxxapache : JB Steel Stick? I'll have to look into that to get me through the season.[/QUOTE]

It's a two part epoxy in a stick like cookie dough. Just knead until the parts mix and make your repair. There are other brands like Quik Steel. I have used both of those with good results.

14. WrkrBee

I would probably work the ends of the worn area out a little to where it was thicker material, maybe with a small screwdriver. Cut thick flashing an inch wider than the finished widened slot. Make the patch long enough to go an inch above the crack in the wheel well and long enough to fold back under the wheel well lip. Notch the bottom corners just wide enough to push through the slot from the inside. Coat the patch with a 2 part epoxy and pop rivet it in from the inside. Epoxy and fold the bottom under the wheel well lip and pop rivet it in place. Fill any voids with epoxy. It will shed water more like shingles that way, but if you are traveling, it's more like a car wash in the wheel well.