Where can you boondock in North GA/SC/NC?

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by 4xMeteor, Mar 20, 2017 at 7:27 PM.

1. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Georgia
    We moved to GA two years ago and just picked up a NTU TT. Most of our camping in CA was boondocking - so I'd like to learn if there are places near us. We live in North GA (North of Atlanta). Anyone know of some good places?

nanabamps likes this.
  2. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Try campendium.com and freecampsites.net

3. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Georgia
    Good sites - thanks.

Question - in CA we could park just about anywhere in the forest services land to camp - it does not need to be a "camp site". Is it similar out here?

4. roybraddy

roybraddy Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I have done it here in NATL FOREST Areas in Virginia a few times... I am usually not too far away from a Forest Service Road. One place alot of us camp out is called FLAGPOLE KNOB... The NATL FOREST down in NC is pretty wild compared to the Virginia area...

I would call the Rangers and ask... We don't really have any dispersed camping locations here like out West - too many peoples I guess...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

5. Customer

Customer Active Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Providing you comply with any regulations specific to a particular area, dispersed camping is allowed in ALL national forests and many state forests. Check with the ranger station for the area you are interested in and they can provide you with any specific rules and recommend some places to camp.

6. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Georgia
    Thanks roybraddy and Customer - I will definitely be doing some research now.

7. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Mar 10, 2008
    Highland Springs Va
    It is dry camping with no power or water at site but love it. $20 a night and camping at 5440 feet called Mile High Campground in the Smokies www.campmilehigh.com

8. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Georgia
    Looks like a nice place, but didn't see many sites for a 28ft'r