Where do you store your pup in the off-season?

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by BikeNFish, Oct 12, 2017.

Where do you store your pup in the off-season?

1. At home inside a garage/pole barn.

12 vote(s)
    27.9%
  2. At home outdoors.

17 vote(s)
    39.5%
  3. At a paid indoor storage facility.

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. At a paid outdoor storage facility.

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  5. Other (indoors)

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. Other (outdoors)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I have no off-season.

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Active Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I am just curious where people keep their pups in the off-season. I keep mine on an outdoor concrete slab in the summer and move it to indoor storage in the winter. Where do you keep yours in the off-season?

2. DJS12354

DJS12354 Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Northeast PA
    Hoping to avoid the $50 a month for paid ourdoor storage, but we don't have a lot of room here.

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I store everything at my house. My campers sit in the yard If I had to pay to store something, I either wouldn't have it or would move to a place with better storage.

JPBar likes this.
  4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Our garage is shop and storage space, so popups lived in the driveway. with the tiny one, we could turn it sideways and still fit a vehicle in the driveway too. Not possible with the second pup or TT. We don't have to worry about a HOA or anything, and live with parking the older vehicle on the street.
    While we had a new roof and stucco done on the house, the TT was stored at the KOA two miles away, for three months. We were both glad once it was back in the driveway. We're spoiled to be able to work on it whenever weather permits in the winter. (We did a major renovation on the first popup over an especially cold winter, which made it a lot more work.

J Starsky likes this.
  5. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Backyard , pretty mild winters here. But if we get snow I just sweep it off.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    First two years with the pup it was stored in the backyard up against the hedge, with the tongue lowered all the way down, no cover.. Last two years we had the pup it was parked up on a gravel pad, near the hedge with the nose down and no cover. Since we got the TT 6 years ago, it has been stored on a dirt pad in the side yard, nose down and again no cover..

7. Calicajun

Calicajun New Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Lancaster, CA
    Stored our old tent trailer in the driveway with a tarp over the trailer and wheel covers over the wheels.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I live in the city and have a very strict HOA with no trailers allowed clause. Let me tell you they have watchers that pounce on any infraction. So offsite storage is my only option. With being the city, covered storage spaces is like paying a second mortgage so not going to happen. So I'm forced to park it at an outdoor storage lot at some fairgrounds about 45 min away. The cheapest option in my area without driving further away. Still rediculously high at $55/month compared to other areas. i used to store it in a campground in PA for only 25 a month, but that was 3 hours north of me and a huge problem if I only needed to go up to air the camper out or brush snow off the roof etc.

9. J Starsky

J Starsky Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Finally, somebody with as much stuff as I have! I keep it all outside - no pole barn. All get's covered and tires sit on wood, Trailers and Jeeps are always tarped, bought a new cover for the darkside TT.

I've been feeling guilty, as I just picked up a dark sided TT and plan to keep my PUP. Feelin' better already [8D]

kitphantom likes this.
  10. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    Our fair city bans trailers, RVs, or boats from being stored on your property unless the property meets several conditions. For me to make my house match the conditions, I would have to spend a couple thousand dollars to pour a pad beside the house but connected to the driveway and plant shrubs to hide the trailer. So I store it off site about 8 miles away...

11. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We store ours outdoors, at a paid outdoor facility, year-round (except when we have it in the driveway for a few days immediately before/after a trip).

12. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    I just store mine in the back yard with the other trailers and things. I have the UTV and UTV trailer out there too. Luckily, I have a privacy fence, which I chain shut, so nobody can see much of anything except for the roof of the UTV, which has a cover on it anyway.

13. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I usually park mine in a little spot surrounded my house fireplace wood pile... Have a nice stone fit pit here as well... The fireplace is our only source for heat here during the winter months here with a few room electric heaters.

I also have a 120V HD drop cord running out to this location from the house...

Do my cleaning and testing of things and sometimes camp out here. I sit around outside under my favorite tree here all the time...

Last season my battery replacement started and I removed my large battery bank... Since then my POPUP is now sitting in my front driveway... Got most of everything all rounded up now for the planned new battery bank. Haven't come with the batteries yet but all of the wiring and new battery bank metal box etc is all but done now...

In the past we went camping alot off-road around here or down to Westmoreland State park even in the winter months when the park is closed... I can drain the fresh wayet tank and blow out the line in just a few minutes for winterizing and to start using the popup again all I do is add fresh water and hit the road...

That's the edge of my little woods behind my house in the signature line photo.

Roy Ken
    King George, Virginia
    [​IMG]

14. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Unfortunately due to circumstances beyond my control, I now have to store my camper at a outdoor paid facility. I set up a solar panel to help keep the battery charged.I do tend to check in on it every week and hopefully I can stick to my every two week camping trip. So that helps.

15. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    I poured a concrete slab in the back yard a few years ago, and that's where she sits all winter.

16. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Active Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Let me bore you with the explanation of my "Other (indoors)" poll selection.

I have a pretty good deal going on this year for my pup storage. The pup would have gone into the garage for the off-season and the boat moved out of the garage to off-sight storage. That arrangement has change in the last few days.The boat will stay in my garage for the off-season and the pup is out.

I have a good friend of mine that has an airplane hangar on his property about 30 miles from my home and he has let me store my boat there over the winter for quite a few years in exchange for a couple hours of help with his boat dock installation in the spring and removal in the fall. He hasn't had an airplane to put in the hangar for quite a few years until he purchased one last spring. So in order to save a few feet of room in the hangar, for the first time, I will bring the pup to his place instead of the boat because the pup is five feet shorter in length and can be maneuvered under the airplane's wings easier than the boat.

My friend and his wife celebrate their anniversary about the time I come by in the spring to retrieve my boat (now pup) and even though he never wants payment for his generosity, I always give him a few extra dollars and tell him their anniversary dinner is on me.

So, I won't store my pup on my property, I'm technically not using a "storage facility" and I am not "required" to pay for storage. So that is why I chose "Other (indoors)" as my poll choice. Maybe I should have added another poll choice just for me! [LOL]

17. kcsa75

kcsa75 Active Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    The suburb we live in doesn't look kindly on boats, RVs, etc in the driveway. According to the code I can keep either in my driveway (not the yard) for up to four days in a 30-day period.

As a result I keep my camper and boat in covered storage barns about an hour from home year-round. We do most of our camping at one of two COE reservoirs about 18 miles apart. The town were they are kept is pretty much right in the middle. It costs me about $100 per month, but I make up much of that in gas I don't use hauling the TT 60 miles each way. In addition, I have both vehicles in the area. Once we set up the camper, I can run over and get the boat and be back in 20 minutes. [:)C]

18. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Active Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Our city is pretty good about using your own property. Here is what the city has posted:

Boats, campers, small utility trailers, snowmobiles, three/four wheelers may be parked either in the side or rear yard of a property as long as they are setback at least 5 feet from lot lines, surrounding buildings, fences, etc.

RV's may also be parked in an established driveway or approved hard surface as long as they are properly licensed and operable.

19. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Store mine at an outdoor storage in Ventura where I work which is one hour drive from my home. Paid $880 a year and might plan on using a storage near my home soon.

20. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    I use an "Other (outdoors)" which is my uncle's house about 30 minutes away. It's behind his pole building on a mostly-gravel patch. Not ideal, but it's free! Sadly he has his house up for sale and I dread the day I have to find a new place that costs money : (