Where do your dogs sleep?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Gardener, Mar 23, 2018.

1. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Our guys (85 pound German Shepherd and 75 pound crazy hound) used to sleep on the bed with us. I completely lost my sense of humor our last time out when I spent the night not being able to extend my legs, so they've been evicted. Of course, they simply cannot use the other, empty bunk because, apparently, that's too far away, so the hound has been relegated to the cushion that covers our shower and the shepherd is on a fuzzy bathmat on the floor. We'll just add that to the list of abuses that they have to endure... :D

WVhillbilly likes this.
  2. chadster

chadster Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Utah
    Well our little puppy is only ten pounds at home she usually sleeps in her crate with the door open. While camping she wants to sleep with her boy.

During the day she is always outside with us, and of course is always happy when the brother in-law brings their puppy also.

IMG_20180519_070419.jpg
    IMG_20180519_172834.jpg
    FB_IMG_1529933278842.jpg

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    On most of the bed.

myride likes this.
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    On her/his back? My Bat-dog is part beagle and her preferred sleeping position is on her back. She will crowd between me and the wall and then flip herself over. I usually get poked and prodded before she is in proper position.

5. M-88

M-88 Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Does anyone crate their dog in the camper?

My German Shepherd pup will NOT sleep outside of her playpen or her crate.

Sleeping on the bed with us is not an option for her haha.

6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We tried that for awhile... the only place the crate would fit without totally blocking up the pup was where the dinette goes, so we took that down and set it up there overnight. Found out it was easier to just let him roam freely and sleep whereever he ended up (which was everywhere). We still bring the crate along each trip, in case we need to leave for a short time (he just sleeps in there silently)

7. Dogs & Pup

Dogs & Pup New Member

Jun 30, 2018
    Indiana
    I thought that I was the only one who has this “arrangement”!

8. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    ^^ They know who's boss!

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I agree, and they have no problem reminding us either.

neighbormike likes this.
  10. fullboat1010

fullboat1010 New Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Our pup (15 lbs) sleeps with us! She likes to find one of the corners and curl up there.

11. upstate family

upstate family Member

Jul 20, 2016
    Central New York
    We have 3 beds and 3 dogs. So it is usually 1 dog per bed. Unless they decide otherwise which usually means I am the one that will end up with multiple dogs. The down side of going gray is our beds are queens and I can't sleep with hubby in a queen, his shoulders are too broad so I end up with too little space to be comfy.

12. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Little Henri ('chi) sleeps in a small crate in our Aliner on the counter top by the door, just as he does at home (crate)...1st time we went, didn't use the crate, he was all over the place half the night until I retrieved said crate from the truck, he dove right in...

13. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Aug 8, 2013
    We had a minidashund who loves his crate and will ONLY sleep in it. He when tired will go in there and take a nap. For him being so tiny jumping up on bed was not an option.

Our 85lb lab X shepard mix was sleeping in a crate and was crated when we left the camper up till 1 yr. She now sleeps on the couch and comes and trying to snuggle in the bed at 5 am every morning between me and the wife. She is not welcome to sleep with us as he is darn too big and its tight. So every morning she will sit patiently for me to open my eyes to her face on my face asking permission to get on the bed. Once i tap twice on the bed she will jump in for an hr or so till we wake up. She does with my daughter too. always asks permission.

14. ProbablyNotLostWanderer

ProbablyNotLostWanderer New Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Houston, Texas
    Kind of a funny story: First time we went camping this season - me, my husband, two kids and a dog in our lightweight A-frame - middle of the night I was woken up by a loud thump, and the camper rocking just a bit. Of course I'm wide awake trying to figure out what kind of creature is trying to get inside our camper. Then I hear these creepy whiffly breathing noises, and more thumps and movement of the camper. I'm totally freaked out and just as I'm starting to wonder why my dog isn't barking like crazy, my brain kicks on.

When we pull out our couch to make the bed, there's a perfect little spot directly under me for our terrier mix and her bed. So I grab a flashlight and stick my head over the side and there's my dog, dreaming up a storm, twitching, wheeze-snoring, and wagging her tail which is thumping against the side of the camper and making it sway a bit.

Moral of the story: Noises are loud at night, especially when they come from underneath you, and always remember where you've stashed your dog.

TL;DR - Our dog sleeps on the floor under my bed. :)

Rik Peery and jnc like this.
  15. EmilyC

EmilyC New Member

Jul 15, 2018
    In the camper with us. Usually in bed with my sons.

16. Redneckpunk

Redneckpunk New Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Orangevale, CA
    Because I’m not a small person and toss and turn a lot my wife and I sleep at opposite end of the PUP. For some reason our last two trips our lab, whomis the biggest daddy’s girl and never leaves my side has decided that even she won’t sleep on my end so she curls up on the wife’s bed.

Funny story, the first trip we took the PUP was a cool fall weekend and we ran the heater the first evening before bed just to take the chill off inside and ever since the dog doesn’t like walking on the floor. She jumps in the door straight up onto the couch and will go to the bed on that end and when she wants to move to the other end of the PUP she will jump from the couch all the way to the other bed. The only time she will touch the floor is to go from the couch to the floor to exit the PUP or to get a drink of water if she’s really thirsty but that is rare. And in the year we’ve had it and used it we’ve only once used that heater, but she won’t go on that darn floor since

nineoaks2004 and Rik Peery like this.
  17. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Ours stays with the in-laws. At 19 years old, the kennels don't want to keep her and she does not travel well.

18. Hawk136439

Hawk136439 New Member

Sep 18, 2018
    Hey new here and new to the pop-up world but my wife and I just bought our first PUP a bout a week and a half ago and this is our solution for 3 of our 4 dogs. We removed the mattress on one end and set up a few folding crates so that our dogs cant damage the PUP if we have to step away for a few minutes.
    [​IMG]

One of our dogs was helping me test the set up last weekend:
    [​IMG]
    The fourth crate will go elsewhere in the PUP but its for a dachshund so his doesnt take up much room.

WVhillbilly and Odpdxo like this.
  19. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Welcome from Oklahoma. Nice pup arrangement.

20. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    @Hawk136439 welcome to the Portal but you need to post pics of Doxie

978BA198-0A3E-4A5E-932A-CFE1DF599272.jpeg C5A50166-5842-462F-8328-F567D54D0C60.jpeg

Hawk136439 likes this.