Where does your dog ride?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Spawndn72, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Winchested

Winchested Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Our 65 lb purebred Choc lab rides on the floor in the rear (f150 supercrew) or he sits and curls into a ball (that you would think is tiny for a dog his size) between my kids on the rear seat. I only kennel him in the box when hunting or after swimming... Actually most times his large size kennel actually fits in the rear door and on the floor of my truck with the seats up.

2. lvmycag

lvmycag Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Both dogs are in the backseat of the pickup in seat belts, the little one has a booster seat. Mainly to keep everyone safe, if the driver had to slam on the brakes the dogs can become a projectile that can hit the driver and cause them to loose control of the vehicle. Neither are ever in the car with out being restrained.

3. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    Our dogs always ride in the back seat of whatever vehicle we are in. Skittles, our shephard mix likes the window open (so she can hang out it when we are traveling on local roads, not the highway). Molly, our bernese mountain dog mix (who we all miss terribly) used to be perfectly content in the third seat of our suv.

4. Photobugu and Caveman

Photobugu and Caveman New Member

Jul 24, 2017
    ILLIONOIS
    I currently have a small dog 16 pounds so he rides on someone's lap or in a dog car seat. (yes a dog car seat lol keeps him from running around the car) Prior to my little guy I had Great Danes and they always rode in the backseat. If we ran out of room we took two cars. It's just safer for the dog. Keep in mind the back of a tuck is hot and the in direct sun light not to mention if you are in an accident it will be really bad for your pup.

5. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    Anytime I have seen hunting dogs in the back of PUs, it is during the cooler months and most hunters (not all) hunt fairly close to where they live. I know I would never put my dogs in crates in the back of the truck regardless of the weather. The way I look at it is, "would I want to ride in a crate in the back of a PU truck?"

6. Wilkywoods

Wilkywoods Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Indiana
    We use crates in the car for our Boxers, the Bostons usually use seat belts or crates as well. I'm sorta a worry wart about my fur babies.. Everyone must have collar with current tags before leaving home. If something would ever happen like a wreck, at least they have identification and a collar to grab! Oh, and everyone is micro chipped.

7. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    When we go camping the bed of our Ranger is usually full and the space behind the seats is full. So my 2 mini Dachshunds ride up front. One one the DWs lap and one between us on a small pad. I always worry about an accident because they are not secured. I wonder if anyone makes a harness for a dog on a lap. I'm sure I could rig something for Tanner inbetween us.

8. silverfz

silverfz Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Our chocolate lab is 80 lbs. We are fine as she gets the window and my son and daughter in the back. It gets hard when my mother in law joins us. This year we took 2 cars. My TT is 7500 lb so not sure what the plan is.

9. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    Please tell me you weren't driving....

10. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Oct 1, 2014
    We always leave the mutts at home so everyone can enjoy the vacation. They would get spoiled the whole time by my niece and the folks camping with in a 1/2 mile of us don't hear them all night. Unfortunately we lost the Moose last month but the Tillie is much more behaved so we will be taking her with us this spring. With any luck she will be fine. Oh ya she will be riding in the back seat.

11. f5moab

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    Tiny dog on the lap, head on collision, air bag goes off, tiny dog between human and airbag; you can guess the outcome of the tiny dog. Just not sure what the outcome would be for the human holding the tiny dog when the airbag goes off. Whatever, it will not be pretty.

12. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Large dogs riding on front seats are in danger from the airbag as well. If you can't turn the airbag off, the dog should ride in back seat. Though really, you shouldn't let your dog ride in the front if you can help it even if you can turn off the airbag.

13. f5moab

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    I totally agree. However, most of your newer airbag systems will not be activated unless someone or something over (usually) 60-70 lbs is in the seat. Small dogs cannot activate the system, but large dogs can. But all unrestrained dogs, regardless of the size, can become a missile in an accident, just like an unrestrained human.

Best place for dogs, small to large, is the back seat, tethered to the seat/shoulder belts. And a hammock style cover protects them from slamming down into the footwell in an accident.

14. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    We use a gate assembly in the rear of our SUV for our 2 - mid 60 lb dogs. It mounts from the floor ceiling and side to side. They ride very well back there. We started using one a few years back. After years of road trips and dogs, it nice. No more dogs running around when you stop for lunch, jumping over the seats, begging for a snack, nosing up all the glass or wanting to sit in your lap.

15. Chrismtl

Chrismtl Member

My lab mix (90lbs) rides on the drivers side of the third row of my minivan. He takes up 2/3rds of it. My daughter sits next to him. He loves car rides, especially when it's for camping. He will swim all day if I throw a ball for him, we stop because my arm turns to jello.

jnc likes this.
  16. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

Oct 28, 2016
    Gloucester, Virginia
    . . .yeah, :confused:I got it - DON'T!
    In support of those other dog owners who know better, but don't - yep ;), me too. Since there is little sense in saying something that is not true in a thread, her's my [2C]:
    When the grandkids and wife bow out of a trip, my 107-lb chocolate Lab (English build) sits in a special seat next to me (air bags off), modified to extend into the back seat area. Foam front, sides and all foot pitfalls filled. I used a previous popup foam bedding mattress cut to fit. Kept the mattress when I found out what the mattresses sell for :eek: - and they've came in handy everywhere!
    ----I should keep him in a crate in the back.
    . . .but I can't. . . . He's the most intellectual conversationalist I've found for those 2000-mile road trips. I'm the one who is spoiled. More so because he had genetic rheumatism from birth (I'm 64 and we suit each others' activity levels). With two orthoscopic surgeries on his elbows and two TPLOs on the rear legs, I spent more time sleeping with him on the floor than I have in the bed with my wife [LOL]! Can't imagine not being close - to my dog I mean ;)!
    Yes, I say Traveling Mercies before every trip, and yep; I too, know better.
    Disclaimer: I'm a professional simpleton and you should not repeat this procedure!

17. Marcmiller04

Marcmiller04 Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Erie Colorado

Do you have any pics, or can you get pics of that setup? we have 3 dogs, and with a new family member on the way, there will be no room in the truck for them...

18. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Marcmiller04, if you haven't already, do a web search on "dog boxes". There are many of them out there, some better than others. Some are well engineered & help protect the dogs from heat & cold. These aren't cheap, but usually much cheaper than buying another vehicle. Just a thought.

Marcmiller04 likes this.
  19. Marcmiller04

Marcmiller04 Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Erie Colorado
    Thanks, I will do that soon