Where to find replacement canvas?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Petet, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Petet

Petet New Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Hi all!

I have a Starcraft 2006 model with a few rips in the canvas. Where should I start looking for replacements? Googling the subject, Bear creak canvas and Idaho canvas come up. Any others? One better than the other? Help!

Pete

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Bear Creek Canvas and Canvas Replacements are the two main places. They have comparable prices and reputations. Contact them both for options, prices, and lead time (busy season seems to be underway). Include make, model, and VIN, which helps confirm what pup you have.
    IIRC, the Idaho place carries canvas from CR, so when I was searching for new canvas for our first pup, going to the source seemed more logical. We ended up going with CR, since they did not need the old canvas for a pattern. Our canvas had been destroyed, so sending it in wasn't possible.

DigitalGuru likes this.
  3. bknjohnson

bknjohnson Tyngsboro MA

Apr 1, 2006
    Tyngsboro, MA
    Ditto to kitphantom. Our canvas was completely ruined, we ended up using Canvas Replacements, fantastic experience. We could have replaced just sections, but every section needed replacing. Thankfully the cause was covered under our homeowners insurance and the replacement was taken care of (minus the labor of DW, myself, and relatives whose only costs were a frosty beverage). You'll find these same two companies recommended everywhere on the Portal, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. But, it is the busy season so don't expect a quick turnaround.

4. Petet

Petet New Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Thank you both for the great information. I went with Canvas replacement.com. The girl there was fantastic. Turns out I can get OEM replacements from Jayco. Drop shipping directly to my house in less than 4 weeks! Bear Creek was 3 months out!

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    With people beginning to camp, or at least think about camping season, this is the start of the very busy season for both BCC and CR. As I understand it, both are pretty small, specialized companies, so the backlog is understandable.

6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Don't rule out your local BOAT REPAIR guys... They can can sew almost anything you want them to. Take yours down to them and see what it would cost to duplicate it... The boats all use the same material that we use...

My 2008 model tent material has been under a 9X12 WALMART el-cheapo tarp from day one. One will last me two seasons and maybe another season if I push it... I didn't like how light it was in my tent bed areas during the day. Adding the tarps was easy to do and they are kept tight using stretch rope... Keeps it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter haha... I can also change color every now and then... My tent material looks like brand new. My awning cover you see in this photo went away last season due to SUN UV's..

Doesn't look all that bad to me haha...
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]