Where to look? (besides Craigslist)

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by FARfetched, Dec 3, 2018.

1. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

I've pretty much tapped out Craigslist, at least within a 100mi radius, as I look for a NTU popup. The ones left are too expensive, too heavy for our TV, or scams (or multiple versions thereof).

I'm sure there are other places to look—maybe better ones.

If anyone is interested, my base criteria are: 1800lb or less dry weight, A/C is a must (it's HOT here in summertime), and I'd like to stay below $3500. A toilet would be helpful, but I'm willing to let that one slide if the right one comes along.

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Well, you may have to expand your search area. I bought my first PopUp from a guy in NC. I live in PA so it was quite a trip to go get it.

Worked out fine for me!

3. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Try the letgo app. I have sold and bought several things using this app. Good luck with your search!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Facebook marketplace is a good resource. I also talked to other camper folks and word of mouth was helpful. If you want a project, Copart.com is a place where damaged popups go when insurance totals them. There are 4 locations around metro atlanta. Sometimes it's just the roof or other fairly minor damage. I've found some really nice models just surfing around on it. The downside is that it's an auction site and you have to ready at a certain time to bid to get it. Another weird thing is just looking around while driving. Sometimes people have them in their yards and never move. If you see a model you like, just strike up a conversation or leave a note and a phone number to see if they're interested in selling.

5. AlohaPup

AlohaPup New Member

RVTrader.com ?

Katskamper likes this.
  6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I found my popup camper on RV trader, although I find a lot of RV dealers advertise through that the most, but a few private sellers also use it. I also checked Craig's list for many different areas and only just found Facebook market place. My radius for me was 4.5 hour drive. I looked in multiple states cities/towns. For me it is very important to branch out because I live near Washington DC so everything here is very expensive and like you found trailers are being sold for a rediculous amount. By branching out the smaller areas arnt influenced by the city as much as therefore cheaper usually. My budget was the same for a much larger camper than what you are looking for so I'm sure something might be around in time. Not to discourage you but it took me a year of actively searching and jumping on possible deals right away. In the spring prices were above my budget or were being sold the second the add is put up. It's a very frustrating process but don't give up something will come around. you will be wasting a lot of gas to look at awful campers only to turn around and go home but I tried to look at it as ask way to check the area out. Or just a pleasant day for a drive.

7. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Try Searchtempest.com. It's a site that basically searches Craiglist for you within a certain mile radius. So you don't have to search the Craigslist of each city/regional area around you. I used it often when I was looking!

Also I'm not sure if the time of year has as much impact on your area. But up here in Chicagoland there is practically nothing for sale this time of year. The market will get active again around April or May.

We bought our new PUP in October and drove 2 hours to get it. It was in a little rougher shape than we were looking for, but was cheaper than others I'd seen for sale.

Good luck to you!

PointyCamper likes this.
  8. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

+1 on the Facebook Marketplace. That's where we found both of our recent acquisitions.

9. generok

generok Well-Known Member

+1 Facebook Marketplace. It is SO much easier to post on there versus Craigslist, folks tend to go there first. I found my TT on Marketplace.

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

FYI, you would be better off looking for something that has a GVWR below your vehicles tow rating, specially when looking at something older then a couple years. Since anything older then 4 or 5 years the dry weight doesn't include the weights of things like awning, propane tank, battery, spare tire, air conditioning and any options added to it originally.

Also if you use NADA to determine the price you are willing to pay, remember 1 it is a guide. 2 it is only as good as the people using it and 3 it can be used to under value or over price something, if those using it don't use it properly.

Whether buying or selling it is up to you to do some research and start by looking for an original brochure from the manufacture for the year, make, model. And check to see if the unit in question actually had the various items as options or if they were part of the trim level. Just cause the trailer has a fridge doesn't meen its an option and doesn't meen the box for a fridge gets a check mark. The fridge could be standard equipment for that particular trim level.

My [2C]

11. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

it was a "wow" at first when I ventured in FB Marketplace but realized it is all over USA.

12. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Offer Up also has some stuff. When I was looking for mine I ran multiple searches, several times a day, for several months, until I found one. I would search for popup camper, popup trailer, pop camper, pop trailer, folding camper, canvas camper, etc. I would also run searches with variations and manufacturers - Palomino pop, Jayco popup, etc. In the end I found mine because the seller had a typo in the title, but it still showed up on one of the variations of my searches. I would run them within 500 miles of me as well using search tempest, offerup, RV trader, etc. Often the good ones would show up and be gone within a day, if not sooner. It is not a quick process, it takes time, dedication and patience. Keep after it and don't get discouraged. This is the slow season, so you won't find as many for sale but the prices should be lower than what will happen in the spring.

13. jmkay1

This is so true. Found mine by accident because the seller miss labeled mine as a popup truck camper vrs popup camper. I found it when I accidentally forgot to put anything other than used camper in my search features. Everything else was clearly a regular popup camper.

14. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

First thing to do is expand your search area. We drove 2 hours (one way) to get our pup. And you will see on the portal that many have driven much further. Good Luck with the hunt!

15. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Let go. I buy lots of stuff feom there and less scamers.

16. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Thanks for the replies so far. A co-worker also told me about OfferUp, so I'm checking that out. I don't Facebook, so that marketplace thing isn't going to work for me, though. o_O

Expanding the search is definitely a possibility, but I wonder how those of you who went several hundred miles worked it—did you travel there with a tow vehicle and a bundle of cash, or did you make a trip to check it out and another to get it?

17. jmkay1

I could have made it all one trip if I was more prepared. I carried cash and just kept it in the tow vehical locked up. I wanted to first concentrate on checking the camper out and not worry about my wallet/purse what have you. I bought my unit that day but I failed to consider I needed a break controller as the unit had electric breaks and sadly because it was day before xmas all the shops were closed. However with me needing to drive it up to my temporary storage facility 3 states away (10 hour drive from where I bought the camper) they and my family suggested to just leave the camper and pick it up the following weekend once I got the break controller. The previous owner was very understanding and was more worried about me being safe. He locked the camper up for me with a hitch lock, and a bike lock around the wheel and a light pole. He even put a padlock on the storage trunk. I appreciate him going through the hassle to keep the camper safe. Until I could get what I needed. If I could have brought it home it wouldn't have been that big of a deal but my Area has strict rules of no campers allowed in neighborhood.

18. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

19. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

That's just SAD.
    Poor people never camped :(

20. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Sorry your not close i just looked on let go , there looks 2 be 3 nice pop ups in my area.