Where to store mattress topper 2007 Bayside?

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by MaeKay, Feb 18, 2018.

1. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    We bought a 2” mattress topper for our previous trailer but with the 2007 Fleetwood Bayside there is NO space to leave anything on top of the mattress. There is also almost zero storage space on the floor. Where do other Bayside owners store their mattress toppers?

There’s no space under the sliding dinette table because that’s where the cushions go and I was hoping to store the blankets and sleeping bags in the bench storage of the dinette.

Do you just bag it and store it in the front storage box?

2. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Can you roll it up and put it in a vacuum bag? I haven't gotten to the point of buying/storing pillows, linens, etc., but that's what I'm going to do.

3. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    The problem would be not having a vacuum to make it small again to go home with. I did think about that, though.

4. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I bought an air pump that can be used to inflate/deflate an air mattress as well as vacuum bags. It fits in a drawer, so it doesn't take up much room. Dollar Tree has the vacuum bags, but I don't know how big they are. I'm thinking if I have to I could roll up pillows in a garbage bag and stuff them in the vacuum bag. I don't have much storage, so I'm trying to figure out how to maximize every inch.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-120V-Quick-Fill-AC-Electric-Air-Pump-21-2CFM-Max-Air-Flow/33563033

MaeKay likes this.
  5. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    I don't have a Bayside, but I fold my king size topper in half and lay it on top of the dining area in the travel position. No issues when sliding in the bed.

myride likes this.
  6. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
    We have an '08 Bayside and leave the foam pad on the mattress. Blankets/sleeping bags/pillows etc. go in the dinette benches. The foam will compress enough to get the top down. We usually let gravity do most of the work for us. Often we finish hooking up before we finish latching the roof down. Remember on the Coleman/Fleetwood the roof does not crank all the way down, you have to push that last little bit to make it close completely.

MaeKay likes this.
  7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Not sure if the bayside has the same space, but when the couch is in travel mode I can slide a few things under there? Especially when someone pointed out that the extra dinette cushions can fit on top of the couch without interfering with the bunk. Otherwise like you I don't have as much room. my little side kick sometimes brings her topper but we just keep it in the tow vehicle. although for her it is only to give her a fluffy comfy feel vrs it really being needed. My bedding and blankets I can keep in a space saver bag. Instead of vacuuming I just roll out the extra air and it works enough to stuff in the dinette seat. I never considered the air mattress pump, mine doesn't work both ways, but technology has advanced since I bought mine.

MaeKay likes this.
  8. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    There isn’t room on top of the dinette. The bunk ends slide right over top leaving no space.

9. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    I’ll have to try this. I wasn’t aware it didn’t naturally go down all the way.

I wasn’t able to fold in the canvas as well as the seller showed me so I couldn’t get the top down. My husband had to come out and push it down for me (which made me sad because I’m really determined to be able to do all this by myself). My arms have never been very strong but they’re especially weak after my bout with pneumonia. I may try sitting on the roof. Or setting one of my 35 pound children on the roof while I latch it. Next time I’ll try to leave our 1.5”-2” topper on and see if it works.

10. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    Our 2007 Bayside has a tip out “vanity” instead of a couch. Sigh. But there might be just enough room to tri-fold one. I like your idea of a space bag and squeezing the air out of it. I like low-tech options and it sounds similar to rolling a sleeping bag or tent. Thanks for the idea!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  11. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    I think I might send my 4 year old (who has the personality of a Border Collie and craves jobs for his sanity) into the pup when the beds are slid in. Then we can play with where to store cushions, etc. I’m starting to think we may leave the couch end cushions at home. We don’t really need them and they take up valuable space.

Too bad it’s snowing today so I can’t work on this right away.

12. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I hope the pump and bags work. If not, I'll do what you do.

Are you leaving the dinette up or are you putting it down like when making a bed? The PO put the dinette cushions under the table when in bed mode. I can put the table down and the back cushions will fit on the top and that leaves room to store other stuff.

13. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Mar 10, 2008
    Highland Springs Va
    We use a queen air mattress under the rv mattress and sleep like a baby.

MaeKay likes this.
  14. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I was going to use the air mattress on top, but now I'll try it both ways.

15. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    The previous owners of our pup said they put them under the mattress and it worked great.

16. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    I would imagine, as long as you know your pump works both to push air and suck air, it should work. I’ve had both types of pumps.

Yes, we collapse the table down to bed mode to push in the slide for collapsing the trailer. Unfortunately once down, there isn’t room for any cushions on top of the wood/bench/table area or the bunk ends won’t slide all the way in.

17. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    The PO put the table on the floor and then put the cushions on top of that. I haven't pushed in the beds, but I did put the cushions on top of the bench and there was room for the bed to slide in. It'll be a while before I have to worry about that. Right now I'm trying to get all my stuff in boxes so I can easily stack everything - pots, pan, dishes, glasses, etc. that will be stored in the camper. It's looking like the chairs, etc. will have to go in the back of the tv.

18. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    Here’s some photos I took of the trailer in different stages of collapse. I did find some places that we may be able to stash mattress pads and foam. Especially if we don’t bring the couch back or side cushions

This is to show the zero clearance between the slide in dinette and the hunk ends above.
    D4A3E980-187F-4852-8460-801DD6C46075.jpeg

Bunk ends meet in the middle with the dinette below them. A9EAD610-C2AF-4EDF-A406-A79B7407CFE4.jpeg

Looking to the left of the door across the top of the tip out swing level “vanity”. There’s maybe 8” there that we could store things.
    3479023A-070C-4BBC-A05F-C2A9C4D1D85F.jpeg

THe swing level vanity with the bunk ends pulled out. We would gain a few inches by leaving the couch back cushion home. That’s the pushed in dinette on the right. There’s tons of storage in there but I’d like to reserve that for all our bedding BB4D0642-BD4E-4DFA-AC34-0918B5F2A38C.jpeg

This is where we have to store the dinette seat cushions. There’s not much room on top of the valet but maybe enough for a blanket or two.
    1B30B3B2-FD29-4BA5-A12C-DDF38854FF5F.jpeg

19. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

May 19, 2010

20. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Member

Mar 16, 2017
    In my Tacoma I put in inside one of the dinette seats. I never thought it would fit but if I roll it up and bear hug it for a minute, it shrinks down to almost nothing.

MaeKay likes this.