Where was the worst campground you ever stayed?

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by BigRedTruck, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

If you had experienced a bad campground, be sure to put your bad experience in Yelp, Google and Social Media... most owners really listen to social media carefully.

2. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    May I ask does KOA operators seem to have an attitude I quit staying there because in my tenting they would put us into a corral while charging high prices. I say them get all over a guy who wanted a friend to come visit him on time!

Another place in Wilson s sp in Kansas bathrooms absolutely filthy!!

3. PaThacker

PaThacker Member

Feb 11, 2010
    My worst nightmare was 4th of July 2013. All four of us with food poisoning. One by one vomiting all over inside and exterior of campsite

4. Halford

what was the food that went bad?

5. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    I wondered too?

6. Halford

deviled eggs left outside in July sun? warm potato salad? chicken?

7. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    OOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhh sort of thought so that could kill you!!

8. Halford

That's right Bob!

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    One of our most memorable bad experiences was probably 10 years ago, at Coral Pink Sand Dunes SP in Utah. We had stayed there before, so our last visit to it was frustrating and a surprise, and the issues were totally irresponsible campers and hosts who didn't bother to enforce regs or check on things. The ATVers were rude to the max, riding at all hours and in places where they were prohibited. Since this is literally at sand dunes, we understand that there is no way to keep the restrooms and showers sand-free - finding used diapers discarded in the shower, as another camper did, is just beyond sloppy.
    The final straw, on our second-to-last reserved night, was the site next to us, where the inhabitants pulled in at ~1:30 a.m., took half an hour to maneuver into place, then proceeded to unload gas grills, LP tanks, and what-have-you. I understand that delays happen, but in that case, you'd think doing a minimum set-up, as quietly s possible would be the way to go. We left as early in the morning as we could manage to get ourselves packed.
    If the Sand Dunes haven't been completely ruined, I"d love to go back, but only if I know the place has reverted to a reasonable place to camp.

In general, we've learned not to go anywhere in the SW on a weekend, where there is a lake, unless it's remote enough to not draw the inconsiderate camper/party crowd.

bob barnes likes this.
  10. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    I don't know why people have to be such rubes!!!

11. PaThacker

PaThacker Member

Feb 11, 2010
    I believe we all got sick from a pizza place near the state park we were at. The food was disgusting to say the least.

12. NWYuma2004

NWYuma2004 Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Oregon
    Doing quick overnights near an Interstate or train tracks in a Pop Up is the worst!! Those are the times I pine for a hard side. Thankfully those are far and few in between. The worst place we ever did a quick overnight was an RV park off I-84 in Boise...THE WORST!!

13. Fixitup

Fixitup Member

Jun 7, 2016
    All though we try to look past the bad and move forward. Hot Springs CG and Resort. Hot Springs, NC

14. Redbird934

Redbird934 Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Our worst camping experience was the week we camped at Jellystone in Niagara Falls the last week of August.

We were given a site by a dyke but it was not great site with little kids but the park was mostly empty so they said pick any spot.

We found a great spot with two big oak trees, cleared it and then set up our tent. That night the acorns started to fall, it was like being in a shooting range, acorns hitting the tent and when they hit the car it was so loud.

Lessons learned , never camp under an Oak tree in late summer.

Jeni Ann and Tracy D. like this.
  15. Halford

Yea, heard that Hot Springs was not a good place to relax.

16. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Years ago I won a free weekend at a campground in West Michigan. It was trying to sell you memberships. I know that you may not get the high class area of the campground but I didn't expect to be put in the slums. The weeds hadn't be mowed, Deer Flies ate you up along with the mosquitoes. Then they went trough and fogged didn't kill the bugs but made us cough and hack. The person that took us to our site got stung by a wasp plugging in out pup. Pool never opened up that made for 3 mad kids. We spent the night made some lame excuse why we couldn't stay the next night and got to heck out of there. here's a picture from that trip. 0011.jpg

17. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Ruff It campground in Sterling Illinois. Outdated park where you pay to use the bathroom and showers.

18. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

May 10, 2013
    What was the problem at Hot Springs? We haven't camped there, but we do frequent the springs every time we're up in the mountains.

19. Fixitup

Fixitup Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Its been a few years but just outdated. We had both water and electrical issues. Dirty. Overgrown grass. Bad management.

20. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Franklin, NC
    I know the place, never camped there. I wouldn't mind hearing the story, if you care to tell it.