Whiffletree Cover Removal

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Canvas Cur, May 16, 2018.

1. Canvas Cur

Canvas Cur New Member

After reading numerous posts on this funny-sounding mechanical marvel, and looking at some helpful videos from the links, I have a question. I was looking at the parts breakdown (again...THANKS for that link!!), and it does not seem to show how to remove the cover that is under the pup and protecting the w-tree. This is a 1993 Coleman Destiny (Cedar). One video showed screws on the bottom of a cover, but mine does not have those. It does have 2 nuts/bolts on the inside on each end of the cover. Are these the ones that get removed in order to remove the cover? Since this camper is 25 years old, I would like to clean and inspect the screw drive and put new grease on it. Very hard to take a pic but if I have to, I will try.

Thanks in advance for any help or tips on this maintenance project. BTW, it seems to lift fairly easily now and is pretty even when lifted. I did spray white lithium on the pulleys underneath, and the cables as I could reach them. I also sprayed the pulleys on the lift arms, and the arms themselves (if that is what they are called) with the silicone spray as recommended here.

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

If there not you will know when you open it. I would guess that it is as long as there are 4 cables going into it than it's the cover. Good Luck

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 6.25.07 AM.png

4. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    The cover is often wedged in tightly between the beams. AFter you remove the screws, be prepared to work hard to get it out.

5. TRR

TRR Active Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Alabama USA
    Be sure to do this when the roof is all the way down (or supported by 2x4's). When the roof is up the wiffletree is under load and the cover is a structural part of the assembly, jammed tightly against the beams. With the load off of it, things should loosen up and the cover will come off more easily.

6. Canvas Cur

Canvas Cur New Member

Yes, this is the schematic I checked out to see if I was on the right track. Wish there was a removable lower plate that would allow easy access to the screw inside. The thought of messing this up is giving me second thoughts about trying to get to it. Can I drill a hole in the side and spray it well with the white lithium? It almost looks like the case itself is part of the lift system. Or is it merely a U shaped metal cover that will drop down once the fasteners are removed? Also, what about gentle spreading pressure with a bottle jack on the support beams to allow the case to be released easier? One video I watched showed a guy removing the case screws on his cover, popping it off and then he cleaned and lubed the drive screw. Very straightforward, Wish this was the procedure on my pup. Or...is this made to just leave alone and not worry about greasing it regularly?

7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

It should be a flat piece of sheet metal that comes off from underneath. The cover plate is not heavy. Dont drill into it! The ends of the "case" are the floor cross bracing.
    I linked a video of what you should be looking at. If yours is different than maybe some pictures of it may Help us Help You.

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I looks to be that part number six is the cover with sides. removing the 4 bolts at the end should take it off.

9. Canvas Cur

Canvas Cur New Member

That video above is the one I was referencing. Much easier way to gain access. But...it is what it is. Raycfe is right on with the description of the case. Surely all those "vintage" Coleman Destiny owners have removed it and lubed the drive screw ! [:D] Anyway, After our upcoming maiden camping adventure next week (had to postpone due to stormy weather in Central Florida), I will have several projects to attend to. Will post how it goes with this particular matter, as well as post a pic of the before and after of the roof painting project. I have some really good Sherwin Williams primer left after a recent painting project, so will coat it with that and then 2 coats of Kool Seal.
    Will insert into the correct forum section, along with how the removal of the "contact paper" cabinet door "veneer" goes using a heat gun as described elsewhere on this site. Once a gain a hearty THANKS for the suggestions.