Who avoids the crowds on holiday weekends?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by crazymama30, May 24, 2019.

1. JWeible

JWeible Active Member

We do not camp at campgrounds on holiday weekends. Around here, that’s when all the partiers come out. Our kids are still young and we still like to maintain a somewhat decent bedtime. That’s hard to do in a PUP with all the noise.
    We usually go about an hour North where my aunt and uncle own about 180 acres of woodland and our family camps there for those holidays.
    This year, I’m taking my daughter’s Daisy troop cabin camping at the nearby Girl Scout camp instead. 9 first grade girls overnight, should be fun!

2. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Ontario doesn't celebrate many American holidays, and their first long, holiday weekend (Victoria Day) is just ahead of our first holiday weekend, so I always find it pleasing to venture into Ontario for the Memorial Day weekend. (We're staying home this year, though.)

Edit: not just Ontario, obviously.

kcsa75 likes this.
  3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

There's FOMO, which is Fear Of Missing Out. Some people have a hard time committing to an event, because something better may come along. They want to have as much fun as they can stand, the way I see it.

I side on JOMO, which is Joy Of Missing Out. I just watch the people make fools of themselves having as much "fun" as they can stand. Some people never grow up.

kcsa75 and Rik Peery like this.
  4. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I found me an off trail spot along the Virginia/West Virginia wooded state line border in the National Park there behind Harrisonburg VA... Its near a Forest Service road and a place called FLAG POLE RIDGE. I can hear some activity from the Flag Pole Bunch sometimes... FLAG POLE is a big favorite spot and lots of foot and vehicle/Motorcycle traffic there...

I keep thinking here I am all by myself looking out over three or four mtn ridges on the West Virginia side playing with my Ham radio setup... Then I hear some one coming up the trail I have made and it is usually a Park Ranger checking out the sounds and noise coming from my radios I guess... hehe

Used to go there a lot... Once I get started again that will be on my list of places to go big time...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Toedtoes likes this.
  5. mam2mam

mam2mam New Member

We do! Prefer camping during the week when to usually more peaceful and quiet!

Rik Peery and WrkrBee like this.
  6. MeaganS

MeaganS New Member

We homeschool and dh works 7 days on, 7 days off. As a result, we've become very spoiled about crowds and deliberately don't go out, much less camp, on holiday weekends. We even planned our Disney trip by looking at the crowd calendar and picking the slowest week. So nope. We usually camp on weekdays anyways.

alabasterjar and Rik Peery like this.
  7. daveman

daveman Member

Back when the kids were camping with us we did all the Holiday weekends, that's when all the other kids were around and it kept ours busy on the playgrounds, bikes and beaches with new friends....one of my best memories from camping with my parents.

Now that the 5 are all over 20, we've studiously avoided those same Holiday weekends! We feel we've earned the rest from the non-stop partying lol. We're usually pulling in when the last of the weekend campers are leaving. It's not really the kids that are the problem, love the sound of playground fun and outdoor (non-screen) kid-time....but the parents out for the all night drink-fest. Even with the Park Wardens patrolling there's always someone who insists on singing Willie Nelson tunes (badly) at 4AM :)

Rik Peery likes this.
  8. rambus

rambus Member

There's nothing like setting up camp while everyone else us breaking camp. Then relaxing while you watch them drive away!

Rik Peery likes this.
  9. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

I am out now on memorial day weekend for the first time. At a jellystone in Ohiopyle, and honestly i am impressed as to how not crowded it is. They place is packed, but well worth it for the extra day, without taking a day off at work.

Plus i agree with @erich82 if you have young kids you life is always loud and busy.

Rik Peery likes this.
  10. alabasterjar

alabasterjar Member

We homeschool & joke that our camping season is Labor Day to Memorial Day! Our "last" camping trip of the season was 2 weeks ago, Mammoth Cave area for 4 days. Our "first" camping trip for the next season will be 10 days that include the Outer Banks for 5 days and some great in between spots, 2 weeks after Labor Day. Yeah, we avoid the crowds like the plague.

11. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

Around here in south Louisiana, camping is very popular and the campgrounds are full pretty much every weekend. If we waited until there were smaller crowds, we would never get to go camping. We camp mainly at our state parks. I have no desire to camp at the amusement park like campgrounds.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  12. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

We tend to avoid the holiday weekends and the peak camping season in July and August. Then during these months we travel more north away from the crowds. When we are camping we do enjoy some peace and quiet. Then we also try to stay away from campground that provide a lot of activities and more state type campgrounds that just provide clean amenities.

13. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

The big popular SP’s are always full.
    We have a few smaller SP’s that are good for holiday weekends.

14. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

I can deal with a full campground, but there are too many (and shockingly SP Campgrounds) that have modernized into sites that are smaller than my property at home. It's nice to see other families enjoying themselves, but when they pack them in so tight you can smell their aftershave... Where's the enjoyment in that? I might as well set up at home and charge admission to others for a more spacious site than they'd get elsewhere. lol

15. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

At the small uncrowded CG’s we get the full camping experience with some hiking and relaxation.

We deal with the crowded CG’s to experience somewhere unique to this earth. Ex. Fall Creek Falls SP, The Smokys, Mammoth Cave, Yellowstone, St Joe Peninsula SP, etc.
    I don’t like crowds, but I won’t miss out on something special because of it.

16. jerbear

jerbear Active Member

Us too,avoid holidays and weekends and hate spring brake. Were old and grumpy LOL so we can pick and choose . Were not always grumpy .

17. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

Every Memorial Weekend, for a good while now, we camp at a NC State Park. A group of church friends have made this an annual event with focus on Social and Food. The kids have a blast swimming, fishing and kayaking.

Our secret to avoid crowds? Group campground only, limited group sites, and you book well in advance. We set up large cooking tent and dining tent. Church cargo trailer full of ice and supplies. Half hog smoking. We have it down to a science.

And it is interesting to see the other group sites, with the weekend campers. The first day, usually a lot of excitement. The second day, the parents have strained looks on their faces, with expressions of "What have we gotten ourselves into?"

I pull the church cargo trailer, and set up and tear down camp. I'm there from Friday until Monday afternoon. Sunday, most of the group sites are leaving or gone. And Monday, we're the only ones in the campground :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  18. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

We take advantage of the extra day and love being able to camp three nights without using vacation time.
    The campgrounds we like are usually full so the holiday weekend doesn't make much of a difference other than traffic traveling there, so once there, we try to not go out.
    We are booked both Fourth of July and Labor Day.

Tulip likes this.