Who really needs a level trailer, WDH, sway bars, or a brake controller, anyway?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Rusty2192, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    3128719F-5F40-464F-ADBF-ABBBFC98D5C4.jpeg

Who really needs a level trailer, WDH, sway bars, or a brake controller, anyway? Ok, I’m making an assumption on the brake controller based on all of the other blatant disregards to safety. But hey, the dry weight is under his max towing capacity, so it’s all good right?

And no, it’s not just the angle of the photo, the trailer really is sloped that far. The ball needed to be raised at least 8”, if not more.

This was on I-40 just west of Asheville in the mountains of western NC driving at the full 65 mph speed limit. Anyone who's ever driven this stretch of highway knows how big of hills and curves there are. We quickly left him behind and got as far away as possible.

Zoomed in
    8B5407D7-8BDB-49E5-8D4C-8B7F9468F5BC.png

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Oh boy that is scary looking. Sad thing is I bet a dealer told them they could easily tow it with no problem. I foresee a new car in his future if he even gets that far.

3. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    I see that every time I'm on the interstate in "camping season" and that is every weekend.
    27' TT behind a Grand Cherokee, or the 25' ish one behind a Honda Pilot.

People are stupid.

4. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    I know that stretch of I-40 very well. He's not been well educated about how to tow. I wonder where he broke down....

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Common sense ...... they must know it doesn't look right.

Orchid likes this.
  6. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Some times you just have to wonder what people are thinking

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Active Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Hey you got a nice picture of my new trailer! [:D]

8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

This guy used a bungie cord to mount his roof top gear bag. He is passing me and I'm doing 70.

050.JPG

J Starsky and Orchid like this.
  9. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    He probably didn't know why he as getting 12 mpg in an Element. [:D]

I haul our equipment trailers around for work, with a small skid steer or mini excavator on them.
    Sometimes with drill casing. Trailers are about 24ft.
    This is one of the worst loads I pulled, the yard rat on the forklift didn't load it right. I was busy elsewhere and trusted them to load it correctly.
    My fault for being trusting.
    [​IMG]

Luckily I only had to go about 10 miles of backroads with it, and it didn't drive bad, but I wasn't happy with it.
    I'm picky about how things are loaded, and tied down.

Most people simply don't understand how to do this stuff the right way. They think if the TV will pull it then they're fine.
    I watched a guy leave an RV dealer one day with his new 31ft trailer.
    Behind a Dodge 1500, I think I could have picked up the front bumper and brought the front tires off the road.

Sales guy should have known better, but many just want to make a sale.
    When their greed/stupidity gets someone killed and costs them millions of dollars in a lawsuit they will wish they were more attentive.

10. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

@WVhillbilly I'm just guessing but that looks like the Loader put the light end on the rear of the trailer and not much weight on the tandems?

11. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    I once saw a Dodge mini van hauling a high wall Coleman pup. It was pretty bad. I think the owner knew it since he had a "Helper Wheel" attached below the hitch in case it bottomed out!!!!!! I have to say that wheel looked like it had some wear on it!!

12. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    Not only that, but to load those correctly they need to be sitting even with the very top of the ramped section of the trailer.
    We move these mixers like this once in a while, and even if we didn't when you start setting the load down and see the trailer tilting like that a normal person would rethink what they are doing.

jnc likes this.
  13. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

This is super scary looking and it really makes me wonder. Surely they had to see the angle while hooking up. Even if they just bought it and are taking it home, any Walmart or RV place, or a number of other common places sell adjustable hitches. I wish I could ask this person why they wouldn't just go buy one before hitting the road. I certainly hope an RV dealer didn't let him leave like that.

I sure hope I'm right that they were just taking it home and not on a trip with family along in this accident looking for a place to happen.

It doesn't take a towing expert to realize that things don't look right here. This goes way beyond lack of experience or knowledge. This is just completely turning a blind eye on a major issue. Hope everyone with and around him lives to see tomorrow.

14. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    I'd bet a week's pay that they normally tow like that.
    A set of airbags, and a WD hitch would do wonders.
    I'm guessing they are in the weight range where they should have E Rated tires as well.

15. Orchid

I hope they don't.

We had to add air bags and an adjustable hitch just to tow our little pup. Along with a transmission cooler and a few other odds and ends...

Everyone has seen campers on the road and knows what they are supposed to look like. It's beyond my imagination that someone could look at this and think it's okay.

We live in a town that is a major stop over, after entering Florida, on the way to Orlando and all points south. We see literally at least one hundred (probably more) RVs every time we are in town or on the interstate here. It's pretty rare to see a really V shaped tow like this. The closest I've come is an old sedan of some sort that towed a very long TT. The guy lived between parking lots in town for about a year. I doubt he could go far, as the car was bottomed out in the back. The TT was about 35' long, as big as a house.

I've seen some crazy things ... like a truck camper with the over cab bunk literally collapsing onto the cab with stuff spilling out. :shocked: I mean it was permanently like that. The stuff that had spilled out was wedged and clearly had seen lots of miles in that position. It was a sight to see. I have pictures of this somewhere.

Our town has seen lots of "Cousin Eddie" RVs, that are shockingly still on the road. Those are my favorite. Not that I think they are unsafe, it's just always interesting to see.

DH just shared this on his facebook. I thought it was appropriate to the thread. Not his video:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    tzmartin, jnc and TRR like this.
  16. TRR

TRR Active Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Alabama USA
    Gadzooks! Too bad the license plates on both motorhomes are obscured. Where are the local LEO's when you need them?

I don't know quite what that last little trailer is. Is it a motorcycle-towed trailer, or a yard cart, or an old wheelchair? It really looks like wheelchair wheels with the grab rings. If so, you know that isn't rated for highway sleep.

Other than that, looks like a pretty nice setup. :confused:

Orchid likes this.
  17. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    Wow.

18. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    What's wrong with everyone? Its jus us mountain folk headen for vacation

Orchid likes this.
  19. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I can't believe 1 motorhome was towing the other that was towing who knows what.

My truck can pull a small tt, so I know I won't have any problem with pulling my little camper. I have a friction bar that I am going to mount on the tongue so hopefully I won't get any sway. With that being said, I live in Alabama and in some places there are a lot of hills. I intend to miss as many of those as I can. I want to go to Tennessee and Kentucky and if I do, I also intend to reroute mountains and snake trails. There is no way I am going to pull a trailer on a narrow road on the edge of a mountain.

Orchid likes this.
  20. Orchid

It looked like a wheelchair to me, but not sure what the thing in front of it is. Looks like a yard cart. None of should be doing highway speeds.