Who wants hard walls for their inside shower?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Rusty, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Rusty

Rusty Don't worry, everything has a way of working out.

Aug 10, 2013
    I did not like the shower curtain in my Starcraft 3608 and niether did my DW. I made three panels that can be put up and taken down without tools that keeps the water in the shower and does not leave us sticking to a curtain. I will post some pictures of the shower walls set up. I got all the materials I needed from Menards ... any home improvment box store would probably have the same stuff. There is still a curtain, but it is only on the entry side.

An added benifit is more privacy while using the cassette toilet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Manper

Manper New Member

Jul 7, 2010
    [:D] LOVE IT!! Please tell me how you did it!!!!

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    If you have any drawing's, scribbles or photos of the build stages that would be helpful to others please feel free to post them...

4. colo-pr

colo-pr New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    I WANT THAT!!!!! Subscribed to the thread now.

Please share the info, You made my day. I thought in something like this when bought my Rockwood 2280 but don't have an idea of how to start.

Please, please, pleaseeee share!!! ;-)

5. COdreaming

COdreaming New Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Nice! I'd like to know too!

6. jonkquil

jonkquil Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Portland OR
    I want in!! Do tell?

7. Rusty

Aug 10, 2013
    :) I didnt think there would be this much intrest so fast. I do not have photos by stages, but I can explain how I did it...

- Measure the dimensions of your shower/toilet combo. Mainly the length of both sides and the length of the back, also measure up to see how high you can make the walls, higher means less splashing into the pup.

- I made the panels oversized with paneling that matched our interior and on the inside of the paneling I used spray glue (3M super high srtrength 99) to laminate a waterproof recycled plastic sheet (about 1/16" thick for the plastic + about 1/8" thick for the paneling). I layed these down on the garage floor to dry. I put them on an old blanket and pressed them together by putting plywood on the newly laminated panel and stepping on it gently.

- Cut the panels to the correct size, the side panels will be almost the same length of the sides of the combo unit, but the back panel will be a little shorter to allow to fit into a dado joint in the frame I will explain later.

- I wanted something waterproof for a frame so I used a composite white 2X2 stud (this material was near the regular lumber at Menards). The composite material is straight and tools real nicely. Try to find a straight wood 2X2 and you will see it is nearly impossible to use real wood even if you wanted to.

- I used stainless steal screws to attatch the panels to the 2X2's, there is a 2X2 stud on each long edge of the laminated shower side panels. There are no 2X2 studs on the back panel.

- The back panel fits into a dado groove that I cut in each of the 2X2 studs in the ajoining side panels, there are no frasteners holding the side panels to the back panel at this time.

- You will see in the picture that there is a 2X2 stud screwed from the inside to the panels ... this is the same for all three sides, the weight of the panel (minimal) is supported by this stud resting on the top of the combo unit framework. You will need to measure to see where this stud needs to be.

- Once I set all three panels in place on the shower/toilet combo unit, I carefully push the back panel into the dado grooves I cut then I use a piece of 3/8" plexiglass I cut into a strip long enough to span from one side panel to the other and this gets placed over a screw head sticking out of the top of the 2X2 studs on each of the side panels. The side panels are now locked into place .. no tools used.

- I put a conventional shower curtain/rod (I had to cut it shorter with a hack saw) across the front of the stall. If you look close at the pictures you will see there is a plexiglass strip across the front of the shower stall as well to keep the assembly together.

- Note in the pictures that there is a wood dowl sticking out of the weight bearing 2X2 stud, I drilled a hole through the stud into the frame of the shower/toilet unit once I have the stall set up where I want it. There is another dowel on the opposite side panel. Once the stall is set up, I just push the dowels into the holes to keep the unit in place

- To keep everything looking tidy I used vinyl siding edge trim on all the edges ... before I completely tightened the laminated panels to the 2X2 studs.

- I built the panels so they rest inside of the original shower/toilet unit and they overhang on the inside by about 1 1/2", this way water runs right into the unit where it belongs.

We have used this set up on a two week trip, and a weekend trip and have no problems or leaks. Our kids get dirty and this is very convenient. My DW loves to be able to user this set up better than the previous curtain set up. No more waiting in lines for all the other ladies to pretty themselves up at the CG facilities. We have a highwall camper and when I take the shower panels down I lay them on their sides and close up the camper, I would say it takes < 10 minutes to set up.

I hope this wasnt too wordy, let me know if you have questions. Thanks for the intrest.

8. smallcamper

smallcamper New Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Looks great, Rusty!

Could you post a few pictures showing some close-up details of the attachment etc?

You've got me interested and now I need to go out and measure to see if the walls will stow in my non-highwall camper. It looks like that vinyl siding edge trim adds quite a bit of thickness to the panel? Just wondering about possibly stowing them on the bunks.

9. Rusty

Aug 10, 2013
    I will have to get the pup out to take any more pictures. I will do so when I have time, but this may take a while. The vinyl edge trim adds very little to the thickness of the panels, it is the 2X2 stud/frame that stiffens it that give a little bulk. I am able to reverse nest these when broken down, you can probably find a way to fit them in your pup. There may be a better way to connect the whole unit together instead of the plexiglass, but it is what I had in my garage so I used it.

I have some materials left over, I can easily take pictures and post them with something for scale/size reference.

10. colo-pr

colo-pr New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Thanks Rusty,

A couple of close pictures should be a lot helpful. I don't understand yet how to attach the panels to the shower? In the bottom by screws? Velcro? And to the roof?

Thanks a lot

11. Rusty

Aug 10, 2013
    There is no fasteners or attachments of any kind to the ceiling. The assembly just sits inside shower combo unit and the weight of the shower wall unit keeps it in place. Think of how Legos fit together, only upside down and not so snug. The two wood dowels through the studs and into the combo unit are the only things needed to hold the assembled panels in place on the bottom.

12. Twin Mom

Twin Mom New Member

Jul 2, 2012
    LOVE IT!

13. dmullen

dmullen New Member

Jul 3, 2013
    I have got to have this! Looks great! I would appreciate more pictures as well when you get a chance as some of this is over my head. For example, what is a dado groove?

14. Rusty

Aug 10, 2013
    I am off work tomorrow so I plan on posting some close ups of the materials I used. It is brutal hot right now and I may not pull out the pup,but the materials shots should help. A dado groove is simply a notch/channel cut the length of the stud that another piece will slide into. A table saw or very steady hand with a circular saw is used to make one or more passes (depending on how wide of a groove you need) for another piece to fit into ... in my case, the back panel. If you have a router and table, that would work very well. I will try to clarify more tomorrow (Wednesday).

15. colo-pr

colo-pr New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    This thread and the 3 way fridge are my favorites from all forum! ;-)

Love it, and more love it when I done it :)

16. Rusty

Aug 10, 2013
    Thanks colo-pr, it is nice to have the positive feedback. I thought all winter how to do this mod and it feels good that it worked out. I hope others can make it work for them also.

17. dickinjo

dickinjo Member

May 22, 2012
    Great looking work Rusty. With this demand you may want to start making them as a sideline job.

I just wondering whether 1-2" hard foam insulation panels may work and be lighter (maybe cheaper - not sure). Just cut, coat and hang them up.

This is just food for thought. Rusty your solution is well thought out and looks great too.

18. Rusty

Aug 10, 2013
    I took a few photos today to share. here is a wall panel, paneling glues to a plastic sheet ... about 3/16" thick total.

[​IMG]

Here is a smaller version of a wall panel, not screrwed together, but it shows how the wall looks ...

[​IMG]

I marked the end of a stud to show where the groove will be to slip the back panel into ...

[​IMG]

Here is the vinyl "J" trim pushed onto the edge of a wall panel ...

[​IMG]

This is all I have time for, my 5 year old is crying and wants me to play with her ... hope this helps. I can post more later...

19. Hanne

Hanne New Member

Oct 20, 2011
    What an awesome mod! Thanks for sharing!

20. dmullen

dmullen New Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Keep the pics coming when you have a chance. This is really a fantastic upgrade to the cassette toilet/shower unit. I'm not very handy with these types of projects but I've got to have this in my pup. Great job!