Why is it so important to have your PUP level?

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by Jane Favret, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Jane Favret

Jane Favret Member

Aug 26, 2018
    We took our new PUP out for first time this past weekend. (BTW we've never owned a pup). Our site was a great challenge to get it perfectly level even with blocks, etc. We weren't able to get it perfectly level. Wondering why it's important to be level on all sides.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    The refrigerator should be as near to level as you can. The sink will drain better with the camper near to level. You will not get sea sick walking around in the camper. You will roll out of bed, etc.
    The refrigerator is the main thing. And you do not want to stabilize the camper with the frame in a twisted position (it could damage the lift system).

3. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    The fridge needs to be level to run properly. It would be challenging to set up the door as well.
    A big thing for me is that I want my bed to be level.

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    All of the above, plus trying to cook with a stove that is not level is not good, also I like my bed to be level.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Franklin, MA
    All the above and the roof is easier to support when it isn't racked to one side due to being off level. Even if the frame isn't twisted, the lift system may be damaged if the pup is off level.

6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

It needs to be "close". Frankly people on this site make way too big of a deal over it. Fridge needs to be within a few degrees side to side (of the fridge, which is front to back of the camper normally), which ends up being that you can be off by several inches over the length of the camper and still be ok. And there is even more slop forgiveness in the other direction as far as the fridge is concerned.

Get it close, and forget about it, and if you're happy with it you won't hurt anything.

hq308 likes this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Franklin, MA
    Exactly. Close. No need to go crazy. I have my daughter read the bubble while I adjust the tongue height. She likes it exactly between the 2 lines.

8. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Mine needs to be level or the door will not line up properly. BAL leveler solved that problem

9. Jane Favret

Jane Favret Member

Aug 26, 2018
    We got it real close, but being our first time, we were just a little concerned. It did take a while to get it as level as we did. Thankfully DH brought many wood blocks in different thickness.

10. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    There are many other levelers available that can level the pup perfectly without much effort. I used to employ the wood block method but got tired of the multiple adjustments that were sometimes needed to get it just right.

I picked up an ANDERSEN LEVELER a few months ago. Makes leveling very easy.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Jane Favret likes this.
  11. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    When we setup our pup it is not perfectly level. I tend to have the front a little lower then the back. Basically enough for the A/C to drain off the roof in that direction.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We have two cheap stick-on levels for each direction. I use an Andersen leveler and i drive up until wife or a kid tells me to stop. Then my kid helps unhitch and cranks the tongue until that one matches. I doubt it's laser-precise but it only takes a minute or two (unless something is way out of whack, such as when we camped in Custer, SD and the out-of-levelness exceeded what our Andersen can handle so we had to supplement it.

13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Perfection isn't the goal. Level enough for the refrigerator, if any, no stress on roof/lift system, and humans is. You only need to level along two axis (axes?) - side-to-side first, then front-to-back (with the tongue jack). Neither of our popups had a refrigerator or sink (we removed those in favor of counter space), so our goals were comfort and not stressing the lifts. We always leveled in favor of sleeping head-up - we were used to scoping that out from tent days, we got good at eye-balling the ground so we could sleep head-up if not level.
    We use a little t-level on a specific spot on the A-frame - which has been compared with the inside of the campers, using a longer level. We still use Lynx leveler blocks, and can judge by the look of the bubble how many to use under the low wheel. We're correct more than 90% of the time, there are a few sneaky sites. We stack them as necessary (pyramid shape if more than one level) and drive onto them. Once chocked and unhooked, we level front to back with the tongue jack. Not difficult, just takes a bit of practice to be comfortable with the process. (like most anything - remember learning to tie shoes?)

Jane Favret likes this.
  14. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I will add to the list of folks that mentioned the Roof & Door. I can tell ya that my Pup's Roof will go up much smother when level and the Door goes in without issue when level.

Jane Favret and Sjm9911 like this.
  15. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Agreed with all , it's about being close not exact. I'm a perfectionist though , it goes up almost perfect every time. I do always say I'm going to off set it a bit for the a.c. but I always forget. It's atually funny to see the water drip down both ends of the pup. Yes it's that on the money. Lol. I don't own a fancy leveling system , the step blocks are atually quite easy to do and level.

Jane Favret likes this.
  16. Jane Favret

Jane Favret Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Thanks for the education! I'm hoping the more we know/learn ahead of time the less probs we'll encounter.

jnc likes this.