Why KOAs?

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Garland, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Mr_Toad

Mr_Toad New Member

Mar 4, 2015
    We use KOAs when we must, and I would say that if you have time to plan, the ways of nhlakes are best. Use that old google satellite.
    we stayed at one KOA in Texas that put us next to a fence, which had a highway 4 foot on other side, but because we were little, we fit.
    even with earplugs and a fan on full... it was one miserable night. Even if we are doing a driving stop overnight, we check satellite photos from phone, not just KOAs but Good Sam ones too.

** Felt bad, had to add: we have stayed in some nice KOAs too. We stay in Luckenbach Texas every year, and while campground is near roads, they put us way in the back under lovely oak trees.

2. Dingit

Dingit Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I have never stayed at a KOA as an adult, but have fond memories of very rare stays as a kid. They were so luxurious.

My parents would drag us on looooooong road trips, tent camping. (One summer we tent camped from southern California to Alaska and back.) My parents always had us in national forests or parks, but every once in a while we'd get to stay at a KOA to do laundry and have showers. I don't know if there were any activities back in the 1970s--never saw any, but those showers...the toilets that actually flushed...grass! There was grass! "Real" camping (on the west coast) doesn't have grass!

The KOA was a break from camping.

3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    We have stayed a a lot of KOAs over the years. Mostly when traveling cross country they are convenient for those one night stays. Easy off and on the highways. They are nice because of full hook ups (we normally only hook up electric anyway). Also laundry facilities! We are members and get the 10% discount and have even gotten a few free nights. They are easy to book via a smartphone and when traveling 8-10 hours a day it's nice knowing where you will be for the night without driving around looking for a place.

We are headed up to Michigan towards the end of July and we found most of the state parks and Sleeping Bear Dunes NP are booked that had electric sites, so we activated plan "B". We booked a few nights here and there at KOA's. It really doesn't bother us since we will be sightseeing during the days.

4. silverfz

silverfz Member

Aug 8, 2013
    We use KOA when i travel and doing one or two stops. they have a standard that they should meet and when with kids i rather know that.
    plus they have activities and some features my kids enjoy.

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    I actually like the breakfasts at the KOAs! A lot of times we want to get on the road early, so we pack up take quick showers and then get bfast for $5 and then hit the road. There are days when just having oatmeal just doesn't cut it!!!

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We now have a non-camping alternative reason for using KOAs. A friend and I decided to try their deluxe cabin for our short trip to Tucson this weekend. In the past we’ve stayed in a hotel, last year I brought the TT.
    For a similar price as the hotel we’ve used on the most recent trips, we have two bedrooms, full bath, living room with kitchenette. Parking at the door.
    For me, it’s about flexibilty and more tools in my tool-chest. Bringing the trailer last year was OK, but for the short trip, this is a great alternative. I don’t think we’d have a reason to use a cabin a trip with the TT though. (I’m bringing the TT when I make a longer visit in April. I have to admit that having things stored in their usual spots in the TT is easier for most of the trip.)

7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Active Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    I've stayed in a KOA one time -- in Limon, Colorado on our way home from Yellowstone National Park. Like others, it's sits right next to the Interstate. For one night it was fine. Everything was clean and the people were nice.

The highlight though was the pizza they made onsite and delivered to our site. You'd think it would be just little more than a frozen pizza, but it was very good. Better than any of the other food options available in Limon.
    I'd stay again just for the pizza.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    XKPin and jnc like this.