will roof mounted a/c 13,000 keep my new 2019 jayco pop up cool?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Billperper, Aug 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Billperper

Billperper New Member

torn between aliner and jayco, most important is i live in charleston s.c., beautiful and hot in summer, average about 94 deg f , will the 13,000, roof mounted unit keep it down to lets say 72 deg f during hotest part of the day? i had a older pop up with a 8000 btu portable unit and would only bring temp down to 87 hottest part of the day. my gf can not take the heat. would like to hear from owners who live down south and stay in pop ups... thanks

2. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

You might want to put those POPUP GIZMOs over both tent bed ends.. The reflective side helps keeps the heat away.

[​IMG]
    Google image

Our OFF-ROAD POPUP is usually back in the woods around SC parked under the trees. There is no shore power there to run my 13,500 A/C unit anyway haha...

We like to setup in the woods and walk to the beach like Huntington Beach SP has...

We used to go to LAKEWOOD Resort in the SEP/OCT time frame where we have family living there and we would all have a mini family reunion. Most often would get a lake side cabin house and park the POPUP Trailer.. Just too dang hot for sure. Also the little sand ants always eats us up too...

My real love is using my OFF-ROAD POPUP Camper setup Creekside somewhere in the high country of the southern States and wake up in the mornings to a big ole bon-fire and watching the fish jump in the creek drinking my fresh ground and brewed bean coffee...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

With Gizmos on the bunk ends and and refleix in the windows the A/C will keep it cool

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

You will never be happy with the cooling in an a liner. The A/C units mount in poor locations in operate well.

5. Birch

Birch New Member

Bill,

I learned something yesterday while taking my trailer down in my driveway on a sunny S. Texas day of 100* +, If you remove the ridge pole on the tent ends allowing the tent tops to collapse down and lay flat on the beds the unit will not have as much volume to cool and the Solar baking tent tops will not radiate as much heat into the main cabin seating area. Pop them back up after the Sun goes down. No added expense either. Works for us!

kcormier19 and BikeNFish like this.
  6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We live in Florida and our rooftop keeps our pop up very comfortable. I'm not going to be of much help, though, since I've never measured the temperature inside (we've had to turn it down many times, during the day, for being too cold) and I have no idea what size our rooftop unit is. This is without Gizmos. We have only used them maybe once or twice, as we're usually in the shade and just too lazy to put them on.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have a 13.5 BTU roof mounted unit. We have camped in 95 degree heat with humidity and our unit kept it cool. Never measured the temp, but it was comfortable!! We also have the Popup Gizmos, they do help!!

We have a Coleman Mach 8 low profile unit. only weighs 90 lbs.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

I can’t speak to the Aliners but I can attest to the fact a 13,500 BTU rooftop unit keeps my pup nice and cool down on the beach in Florida. I was just there 2 weeks ago and had to run it on low at night because even I got cold....which is very rare, lol

Sjm9911 and Orchid like this.
  9. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

x2. I have no AC and the Gizmos and reflectix easily make a 10 degree difference.
    IMG_6286.JPG

10. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

We have the Aliner at Buck Hall Plantation today, close to Charleston. It is struggling to keep it at 80 and it is 87 outside.

11. Billperper

Billperper New Member

which a/c do you have? side mount or under bed?

12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I don't think I'd try that here in Florida. You never know where a passing rain storm is going to be at any given moment. It will be sunny, then pour down buckets for 10 minutes, back to sun. No warning.

We always have to turn ours on low at night and we only camp in Florida. Even then, often we close the bunk curtains to keep the cold out. [LOL] I always have two heavy comforters, too. If I'm not too lazy to get up, I'll cut it on fan in the middle of the night. Our nearly 20 year old a/c kicks some serious butt!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. gatorbait

gatorbait Upstate, SC

Yes with the reflectix in the bunk windows and gizmos on the roof it will be very cool. I was just above you 2 weeks ago at huntington beach. It was high 90s and 10000% humidity. It was so cool inside that the windows and door were sweating.

14. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Under bed. Cool Cube 5000. It's finally down to 68.5 for sleeping tonight.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  15. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Depends largely on sun exposure. We camped at Sesquicentennial SP this past July and one day was over 100. In the shade we were nice and cool with no gizmos. I cut some under hardwood foam padding in the window panels and it helped a lot. The canvas on the end the sun hit for a while in the mid afternoon was hot, but the window canvas was barely warm.

16. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

My ac works well in the pup. I have it set up in full sun 100 degree days , it keeps it cool. That's with no gizmos etc. I think I have the bigger rooftop a.c.. it's a 2000 Coleman Westlake. So it's a bigger pup.