Window covering options

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by drgiese, Mar 21, 2018.

1. drgiese

drgiese Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Northern California
    Has anyone ever used roller shades or pleated shades?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I worry about the weight of the roller shade, and the integrity of the pleated shade. Thoughts?

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    For inside the PUP? I'm not even sure how you'd mount them and then what you would do with them when you folded the PUP up.

3. drgiese

drgiese Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Northern California
    Yes, for the inside. I was hoping there's enough of a solid section above the windows to mount them, where the existing curtains are mounted.

4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I would think they would need to come off when the roof is collapsed. Otherwise they will get in the way of the canvas, reducing the amount of room you have to collapse the roof. There is a lot of canvas that bunches up along the side walls. There may be increased we as well - sharp edges on the mounts will wear a hole in the canvas over time while bouncing down the road.

kitphantom likes this.
  5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I wouldn't put them in my pup. If I were to mod my pup I would get blackout curtains and attach them with Velcro.

6. drgiese

drgiese Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Northern California
    Good point about the sharp edges of the mounts. As far as the bulk, I was thinking the shades would take up about as much room as the existing curtains; they roll up at the tops of the windows, but the string mechanism is broken so they just flop around.

7. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I've got to redo my curtains at a later date, but I was thinking I could also use that mylar thermal stuff with velcro to help insulate a little. Ideally, I could attach and remove curtains or shades to keep them from being damaged, but I don't know how much trouble it would be.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Personally I just bought black out curtains from Walmart and have no problems about light now. Surprisingly black out curtains do a better job keeping light out and even a decent bit of keeping the warmth in or during the summer the heat out. If you do try shades/blinds you may be able to work from the bottom up, but not sure how you would attach it without anything sticking out or getting in the way of the canvas.

9. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I was looking for blackout curtains on Amazon.com and many of the reviews stated there was a bad odor. If there is an odor hanging in a window, how much more would it be if it was closed up in the camper. Have you noticed any odor at all?