Windy conditions

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by Tbone, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Tbone

Tbone New Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Anaheim California
    I'm new to pop-ups When your camping and it get windy. Do you anchor the ends of the trailer?

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Welcome.

Which ends? Roof, bunk end at the bottom, or ??? And to what purpose?
    We didn't with either of our two popups, and we encountered heavy winds - we live and camp in the SW, where winds are a fact of life. Sustained winds in the 20-30 mph or so range, with higher gusts are what we had on a number of occasions.
    The only problems we had were:
    When we installed new canvas on the first popup, we forgot to add the retaining clips along the edges. I came back to the camper on a windy day to find a couple of the walls only help up by the corner supports. (We installed the clips as soon as we got home.)
    Putting up the roof solo on that first camper, which had external lifts, on a horribly windy day, was interesting at best, the roof wanted to shift too far to one end before I got it latched in position.
    On the second popup, a 2010 Coleman cobalt, we had one year with windy trip after windy trip. (On one it was snowing at at least a 45* angle, and the wind pushed the snow up under the roof board and through the gap in the canvas around the lifters, so it was snowing inside). The lift system cables, etc. needed to be adjusted after 3 or 4 such trips.

Also, if you add the make, model, and year of your camper to your signature line, the rest of us know which camper you have. That way, it's easier to answer questions, especially if there's something specific to that model. For instance, for this question, I'm answering in general, and with specifics to the two popups we've had.

Tbone likes this.
  3. Tbone

Tbone New Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Anaheim California
    Thank you for your reply. I was thinking about the ends of the beds.

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I dont tie down the pup. I do add more lines to the tarp & add more half hitches to them.

Tbone likes this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I also don't tie down anything in high wind. I put the awning up the first sign of wind as that is the first to go in the wind not to mention very dangerous if goes flying. Yes it will be scary in the wind but I've only once had to close up in an emergency and that's when a tropical storm blew in in the middle of the night. It may have survived the storm but I wasn't taking the risk. I have moved my car to help buffer the wind once as the wind was hitting the camper broudside and the camper was taking a beating. You will be surprised how much of a beating these campers can put up with. To be honest I'm now more afraid of trees falling than my camper. But you sure won't get a wink of sleep if a storm blows in in the middle of the night.

Dback2k4 and Tbone like this.
  6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The setup I have over my pup I have used over my tents as well. The DW and I were Tent camping on a bald spot about 3/4's of the way up a mountain in NH when a freak wind storm hit and there is noway to safely undo this when it gets windy. The winds speeds were so high it was blowing the tent flat. I just added 2 more lines to each pole with extra half hitches to keep tite lines. After 4 hours of the worst winds I have ever tented in the Tarp was still standing with only a couple of grommets making small tears. I will add that I used this tarp of 3 more seasons before those grommets finally tore out.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Tbone likes this.
  7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    6ad4135f4a202c41426d6f8c1f8a6abc--welcome-to-group.jpg

Tbone likes this.
  8. Tbone

Tbone New Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Anaheim California
  9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I either take the awning down or double the awning tie downs. Other than that I leave as is.

Tbone likes this.
  10. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    After surviving a wicked storm at Badlands NP a couple years ago, I know how tough the pup is.
    The constant wind out west is annoying. Noisy canvas flapping and blowing stuff away.....

Tbone likes this.
  11. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Iowa
    I've only ever had to ride out one bad storm. Didn't do a thing to the camper, it was just fine. I have an EZ-up canopy I put outside the door over the picnic table. I lowered the legs on it to half-height and pulled the top canvas off to keep it from becoming a giant sail. I just made sure everything loose outside was secured in the truck or camper, or anchored down (chairs, grilling equipment, etc). Didn't get much sleep, but the camper was sturdy as a rock.

This was the next morning after I re-raised the EZ-up
    20171006_180337.jpg
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Tbone likes this.
  12. ArkansasDon

ArkansasDon Member

Mar 7, 2018
    my RTT (roof top tent) in windy conditions we make sure the rain fly is buckled down tight with no slack, the ladder is secure whether by staking it down or running guide ropes off it to the trailer.

Tbone likes this.