Wingard ConnecT 2.0 4G LTE + Wifi extender

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by stud muffin, May 15, 2018.

1. stud muffin

stud muffin New Member

Jun 7, 2017
    So....I thought I did a great job of doing all the prelims before buying a wingard connect 2.0. But I misinterpreted how to wire it. I understood that I could just plug it in. Well, I was wrong. I have to wire it into my circuit breaker. The requirements allow 9-16v so I'm figuring I need to wire it into one my circuits that are 15amps? They recommend a 3 amp fuse but my circuit breaker's fuses are already dedicated. So...I am wondering if I can wire into one of the fuses without causing disruption to the other electric systems in the camper. I have four circuits. Lights, water pump is one; another is the furnace; another the fridge (all three are 15 amps) and the exterior batteries fuse, which is 20 amps. I have a 2004 Jayco Qwest 10x. Thoughts?

2. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    This is the first time I've seen one of these. Is this to use with wifi provided by the campground, or to scan and find wife anywhere?

3. stud muffin

stud muffin New Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Hello Mamie,

If a wifi signal is available then it will grab it and strengthen it for you to use. Also, it is a phone line so it can act as your own hotspot if a signal is available.

4. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Wouldn't you have a problem with it being secured?

5. stud muffin

stud muffin New Member

Jun 7, 2017
    No. You can afix it to the roof by screw if you want. My plan is to set it up when we arrive at each place so I am putting suction cups in the screw holes to hold it in place.

6. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    You know, some friends of mine were making fun of me the other day for being confusing. When I said "secured," I meant a secured wifi network. I've wondered if most campgrounds have internet or if I would have to go to Hardee's to check my email. I can download enough books to read, but I'd miss my soap opera's.

7. stud muffin

stud muffin New Member

Jun 7, 2017
    It is secured. A password comes preset but you can change the password yourself so that only people with the password can use the device. I have to be password protected because of my work (and I do work while camping).

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    When you tie into a main circuit + creating a brach circuit of smaller wire you fuse at this spot.

ie, decide which of the 4 circuits + you would like to use, splice into one, fuse, add your small wire that goes to you gadget, wire the - to a ground wire or frame. The original circuit is still protected by the fuse in the fuse box and this branch circuit is protected by the 3A fuse you add to the branch.

You could run the small wire to the battery and fuse there completing the circuit - to 'ground'/frame/battery.

9. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    It would have been hard for me to camp without internet over the last 8 1/2 years, but I'm hoping that is behind me and I can enjoy the peace and quiet.

What does concern me is not having phone service in case of an emergency.

10. stud muffin

stud muffin New Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Thanks rabird! I think what I am going to do for the time being is get a ac/dc converter and splice the wires and just plug it into an outlet since I'm not afixing it permanently on the camper.

11. stud muffin

stud muffin New Member

Jun 7, 2017
    I have it for my work since we camp for weeks at a time. My girls and wife like it for added benefits it gives them for texting and phone calling, but I can do without any videos or tv. I like my streaming music though! But mostly I am a peace and quiet guy. I sit with coffee in my chair or take a nap in a hammock and i'm enjoying the depths of camping. Truth be told the camper is more for my ladies than me. I go into the woods a few times a year and sleep in the open on a hammock.

12. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    stud muffin and jnc like this.
  13. stud muffin

stud muffin New Member

Jun 7, 2017
  14. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    I used one on an empty 'sun roof' fuse to get power that was controlled with the ignition.
    The added fused circuit powers a relay so my vehicle charge line is only 'hot' when the ignition was on.

15. stud muffin

stud muffin New Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Wanted to add a note for anyone who finds this thread searching for a winegard. Don't bother getting it. My phone and tablet both got better signals than this "extender". I asked cx service for help and they told me the device needed a signal strength of over 50% to work. I returned it. It was a complete waste of money.