Winterizing hot water heater

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by dviking, Nov 5, 2017.

1. dviking

dviking Member

Jun 7, 2008
    first time winterizing my new jayco x17z. Love it, but have to put it away already for the winter. I have read some different posts on winterizing and have read to just take the plug out of the hot water heater and put the valves in bypass mode before running the antifreeze through the lines. I was worried about water being trapped in the lines from the bypass valves to the tank so I cracked a bit letting the antifreeze do its thing but did not put enough in to see the antifreeze run out of the open tank plug because I've also read antifreeze and the heater element as well as the anode rod do not mix very well and could damage either. What do you folks do here?

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I do exactly as you did.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Ensure pump is "OFF"
    "OPEN" both low point drains (close them once all water has stopped draining).
    Remove the drain plug on the water heater.
    Put the system into by-pass.
    Use water pump to pump anti-freeze thru entire water system.

I also loosely thread the drain plug back into the water heater, 2 maybe 3 threads..

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We drain everything using the low point drains, and the plug on the water heater; we also use a blow-out plug with a compressor to remove more water. The heater goes on by-pass so that no anti-freeze gets in there; we do that before blowing out the lines. As long as it is drained, there isn't any reason to have anti-freeze in the water heater, there is plenty of space for the any water residue to expand. That's also why a drained fresh water and waste tanks don't need antifreeze.
    Our water pump has the intake tube to pull the RV anti-freeze directly from the bottle. For our small TT, it takes about a gallon to pull it through the lines and out the faucet and toilet. It also goes into the p-trap as i runt he faucet. I do add a bit more during the winter, since it evaporates from the toilet and p-trap, but the lines don't need that addition.

f5moab likes this.
  5. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    Exactly what I have done for the past x-number of years and never had a freezing problem.

6. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    I just drain everything and blow out with an air compressor. I blow from the water hookup to each opening individually. I remove the anode rod and insert a pvc threaded plug. I also blow out the water pump and lines from tank. I never use antifreeze. I have never had an issue.
    However, I have repiped my whole camper with PEX. I know there are no low spots or any areas to trap water.

7. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Freezing water will only do harm if it is unable to expand as it freezes. The tiny amount between the valves and water has lots of room to expand into the empty tank.