Wire storage cubes make the most of vertical space

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by the_dingman, Aug 8, 2017.

1. the_dingman

the_dingman New Member

Jul 18, 2015
    I've been looking for the best solution to additional storage in our popup, and didn't like the shower curtain tension shelves that are popular. Then I thought about the wire storage cubes we've been using in bedrooms and closets at home for years, and I came up with a solution that gives us a ton of storage, easily breaks down, Abd cost altogether about $75. When broken down, I store these under one of the benches. They're secured with two U-bolts with wing nuts.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

JPBar likes this.
  2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Great ideal!

3. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    I love this! Where did you get them?

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    That's my question, where do you get them? Back when I went to college they were very popular, every college kid used them. Now I can't seem to find them. Been to three stores and nada. I can't order anything online thanks to me living in a city with high volume of petty thieves. Who thrive on stealing unattended packages. Ugh.

5. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    I like it. We don't have as much horizontal space. So, this summer when we had six people, I used a cheap, vertical closet organizer. We hung it from the little built-in clothes rod. The other idea I had was stacking bins.

6. campingranny

campingranny Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Elizabeth, PA
    that is a great idea and very secure, but how do you get behind it to zip/unzip window?

7. world traveler

world traveler Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Love your idea! What are the mesh bags on the side?

8. the_dingman

the_dingman New Member

Jul 18, 2015
    I purchased the cubes on Amazon, and got 2 sets so I could have 4 wide and 3 high. I believe Target sells them as well. I was looking for a cheaper solution, and it looks like there's just the one brand. See link: https://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-Stor...UTF8&qid=1502595512&sr=8-3&keywords=wire+cube

The mesh bags were "delicates bags" for washing delicate laundry, then we used O-Ring clips (like you'd use to bind papers with a single hole punch) from the office section to hang them. My wife found them as a suggestion for hanging in the sleeping areas from the poles.

I'm going to get another set for a single rack of 3 on the other counter we have. They were great for food and clothing, and super sturdy. As far as the window, I could reach above to open and close the curtain, but was okay with losing the airflow. If we open the pop-outs and the big back window, we still had the door and the small window next to it to open.

9. JiffyPopJunkie

JiffyPopJunkie Member

Jun 5, 2014
    LG Region NY
    Ive used these for years and they work real well for organizing. I have just the one set so everyone gets a cubby and the last was for towels. Set up and takedown is a little time consuming but worth it