wiring to a battery to run interior

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by carlito abad, Nov 10, 2018.

1. carlito abad

carlito abad New Member

Nov 9, 2018
    california
    Hi all, I purchased a 2005 rockwood 2280, the brakes, turn signals, side markers are connected to a harness and plugs into TV and works fine. There is also a plug where I can connect to 120v and power the interior lights...and lights work except for vent fan.

First question...I want to power interior with a battery located on the tongue of the trailer. I see 2 wires coming from the interior of the trailer a black and a white. The white is attached to the trailer frame by a screw and the black is just hanging there. What is the best way to connect to the battery to run interior?

Second question... the vent fan on the roof is not working and fuse in it is fine...would i have to remove entire vent? or are the motors replaceable?

Thanks for any suggestions you guys can help me with...

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Connect the battery positive terminal to the black wire with an inline 20 circuit breaker (or fuse) and the white wire which is ground to the negative terminal.

carlito abad and nineoaks2004 like this.
  3. carlito abad

carlito abad New Member

Nov 9, 2018
    california
    Would I disconnect the white from the trailer frame and connect it direct to negative terminal? thanks

4. carlito abad

carlito abad New Member

Nov 9, 2018
    california
    Would I disconnect the white from the trailer frame and connect it direct to negative terminal? thanks

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    As for the fan........ if it is a little 4 inch job ....... replace the fan/vent assembly with a Fantastic or MaxxAir Unit. Night and day performance difference.
    In any case first thing remove the old fan motor and connect the wires to a battery directly to check.

carlito abad likes this.
  6. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    #1, As Ray said, make the connections. Use a #10 gauge wire for these if you must install any extra wires for the hook up.

#2, Make sure you have the cover of the fan opened up at least 1/4 - 1/2 the way open or the fan motor won't start.

carlito abad likes this.
  7. Wrenchgear

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    No, leave the white connected to the frame, and then make the connection from the batt neg post also to the frame.

carlito abad likes this.
  8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    No .... the white wire goes from the battery negative terminal to the camper metal frame. The Black wire from the positive terminal of the battery will connect to the convertor inside and usually the socket for the tow vehicle.

carlito abad likes this.
  9. carlito abad

carlito abad New Member

Nov 9, 2018
    california
    Thanks for the help!

10. carlito abad

carlito abad New Member

Nov 9, 2018
    california
    and once those connections are made....if I plug house power to camper, will that charge my trailer battery?

11. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    That will depend on the convertor, most will charge the battery but you have to check the battery as some will overcharge. Also some convertors have a switch to select 12 volts 110 V and off, it you get it hooked up and have no 12V power in the unit then check the convertor for a switch as I described above, also if the unit has a breakaway switch you will need it hooked to a battery to work properly.

12. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Your 2005 Rockwood should have a built in charger.

13. carlito abad

carlito abad New Member

Nov 9, 2018
    california
    After looking closer at my wires, the blue black and green are taped together and are not connected to anything. the brown, red and green are connected to the tow vehicle and operate the turn signals, brake lights and side markers. the white is attached to the metal frame. The green that is with blue and black wires is coming from inside the camper along with the white.
    could i assume that the green is positive and should be attached to the positive post of the battery? sorry if i didnt make sense earlier....

Attached Files:

14. Wrenchgear

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    I would think (99%) that the green wire is not the wire for the batt positive. Most likely will be the black for the batt pos. The blue wire is probably for the electric brakes. You are going to have to start crawling around underneath and see where wires are going. You will need to get to the back of the converter area to look at the wires there. Some may have tags on them to indicate what they are. Has this trailer had a battery installed on it before now? I'm guessing not. You are probably using a 4 pin flat plug for the connection to the tow vehicle as well. That will need to be swapped over to a 7 pin round if you want to be charging that batt off the tow vehicle while driving.

15. carlito abad

carlito abad New Member

Nov 9, 2018
    california
    it does have a 7 pin and has an existing battery. but only 3 wires connect to the tow vehicle and operate the brake, turn and side markers.

Attached Files:

16. carlito abad

carlito abad New Member

Nov 9, 2018
    california
    but yes, ill crawl around and have a closer look...

17. Wrenchgear

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    upload_2018-11-11_13-0-34.png
    This is the wiring lay out for the connection to the tow vehicle. They are mirror images of each other shown here. Be wary of the colours shown, they might not be correct.

carlito abad likes this.
  18. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Used camper?? Assume nothing, verify!

carlito abad likes this.