Wiring up a battery

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by gwunited2, Jul 12, 2018.

1. gwunited2

gwunited2 The Road Goes On Forever.....

Mar 5, 2014
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Hello everyone! I am soliciting your thoughts on adding a battery to my 1985 Scamper tent trailer. I am pretty sure I have this figured out but... not 100% sure. Attached are some pics of the fuse panel on my camper and the hacked up wiring job a previous owner did to the 4 wire plug. I should add that my trailer lights are operating properly after I cleaned and reconnected each light.

In the first photo you can see that the black and white wires are horribly spliced together. Thankfully the white wire is the ground so there is no power going to the black wire when hooked to a tow vehicle. I determined that the trailer's RED wire is the left turn signal and is correctly hooked up to the harness' yellow wire. The BROWN (there wasn't a brown colored arrow so I used blue) wire is the right turn signal wire and is correctly hooked up to the green wire. The trailer's GREEN wire connect to the running lights and is hooked up to the harness' brown wire.

This is what I'd like feedback on.

I cut the black wire (that was spliced to the white wire) and all my lights still operate properly. Looking at the second photo, you can see that the black wire shows to be matched to my trailer's converter. There is a battery option on my convertor inside the trailer. I'm pretty sure the black wire should be run to the positive (+) terminal on my battery and I should run a ground wire from the negative (-) terminal to the trailer frame if I want to correctly install a battery to my camper. Does this seem correct to you? Next time I open the camper I will trace the black wire to make sure it runs to the convertor just to be sure. Also, since it seems like there is already an inline fuse would you add another inline fuse near the battery?

My future plans are to replace the tube fuse panel with a marine grade blade style fuse panel.

Thanks in advance,

Massey

IMG_0013.jpg IMG_0014.jpg

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    What you have said sounds correct, but I'm no there.

gwunited2 likes this.
  3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Yup, I second. Sounds right to me.

gwunited2 likes this.
  4. gwunited2

Mar 5, 2014
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Thanks Tombiasi and generok.

5. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Per the fuse question.

It's always a best practice to have a fuse as close to the battery as possible. (Or, a 30Amp circuit breaker that can double as a disconnect switch).

But.... As long as you have a fuse in the circuit, that is the minimum.

6. gwunited2

Mar 5, 2014
    Corpus Christi, TX
    My thought is that it doesn’t hurt to add another fuse. Thanks for the input.

7. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    I assume that that fuse panel is near the front of the camper, but because the wire has already passed into the flammable wall of the camper I would definitely fuse the wire at the battery terminal. And possibly do away with that existing fuse, looks like it's blown anyway.

8. gwunited2

Mar 5, 2014
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Yeah, the old fuse panel is a little sketchy. I want to update it.

9. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    I've personally never seen running/tail lights fused on the trailer side. They usually rely on the TV fuses.

10. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    All PUs are the same :rolleyes: except the ones that are not [:O]

11. gwunited2

Mar 5, 2014
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I’ve never seen in line fuses in a trailer light harness either. I’m really only familiar with utility and boat trailers though. I figured the concept was the same minus the battery wire going to the converter. Guess it was an 80’s thing. What sucks is if the fuses get jostled while driving. Can cause lights to go out.

12. gwunited2

Mar 5, 2014
    Corpus Christi, TX
    This one is def. different.