Women popping up solo

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Orchid, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

In the case of my DH, I feel like he makes everything 100x harder than it should be. Having had time to think on it, it will probably be much easier and less stressful by myself. Not sure I will ever get the chance, even though I want to now, since he is flying back down Thursday. Not really ready for my break to be over. :tongue:

Thanks, I am going to check it out!

2. campingranny

campingranny Active Member

I have never had help setting up. I took the grandkids with me when they were younger, they never really helped. It is much easier when they do not go with me. I go alone now most of the time, I'm 63 and still able to set up. Not as easy as it used to be but doable, I just don't rush. I also find its not as complicated when I'm alone. More restful, not that I don't want the kids to come but they just don't have the interest they used to.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I will add, if you need help ask, I would hope most would help . I know I would lend a hand to set it up if asked . And probubly if not asked. Most people are good hearted, at least I like to think so.

4. campingranny

campingranny Active Member

Yes most people are good hearted, but I must say I've never had anyone ask if I needed help. But I'm sure if I needed it and asked I would get help. I have, while setting up, looked up and found people out on the road watching me set up. Almost with an amazed look. Then later come over and say how surprised they were that I did it myself. LOL.

5. lonestarcamper

lonestarcamper A smile is worth a 1000 words!

I have camped since a kid. Tents, pop ups, trailers, and motor homes. Now single, I prefer popup because it’s easy and fits in my garage with no storage fees. I can set it up myself and feel safe with my “Velcro security.” I like camping alone, but usually end up telling someone and then it’s a party! But, that’s what life is all about; good friends, good food, and good times! Happy camping gals and guys!

6. Nicole Nelson

Nicole Nelson New Member

I take my 4 kids and Yorkie myself! Does this count?!
    I love doing it on my own. It’s so relaxing when the kids go to bed. I sit by the fire and just sip my glass of red and love the alone time!
    We are heading into our 4th camping trip of the season with our new PUP...it’s been an amazing experience and my kids just love it. We tent camped for many years prior to this year.
    Love reading all your posts!!!!

Tulip, Adina*Moo, Orchid and 3 others like this.
  7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. That has happened to me a few times as well, though I felt like I was being judged a couple times by those more nosy neighbors, but they came by after I was finished to praise me. ive had neighbors assist mainly if it was dark out by providing lights to back up and set up. Had a neighbor that had a baby sister of my camper offer a few pointers and suggested eBay to buy a new clip for the shepherd pole as mine broke. However he pretty much stayed out of the way saying everyone has their own procedure of setup and didn't want to hinder. It was great having the help with him holding the tenting back on the bunks so I could slip the shepherd poles in easier. So yeah I find there are always someone willing to help if you ask.

Orchid likes this.
  8. Dread_Pirate_Bailey

Dread_Pirate_Bailey Member

I camp alone all the time, and have done so for about 8 years now, since I divorced. I was the camping fan when we were married, so I got custody of the camper. I have driven cross-country to camp, camped locally, and love getting out there. My kids stopped camping when they turned 18, but they are both planning on going to New England with me in October. They're 27 and 31 now, so they've decided camping is fun again.

I just joined Sisters on the Fly, so I might go camping with other women soon! Have you checked into SOTF, to see if it's something you might be interested in? I'm sister #9035.

9. Dread_Pirate_Bailey

Dread_Pirate_Bailey Member

My BAL leveler has helped me continue camping, since I can level easily. Right now, I'm loving the back-up camera on my Jeep. I can hook up without having to get out several times to see how close I am to the coupler.

Orchid likes this.
  10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Do you have a pop up or a TT? I haven't checked into SOTF because they are mostly in the western states and I'm in Florida.

11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

12. KTClark

KTClark New Member

Check out the women's adventure group Sisters on the Fly. You might enjoy finding camping friends and adventures through them when you want to do it. I have.

Adina*Moo likes this.
  13. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

I am old, short and overweight, but I set up and tear down all by myself. I take a few breaks and that helps. Of course, when it is just me I have less that I take with me so that makes it easier.

Orchid and KTClark like this.
  14. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

One bottle of beer in each break might help! [LOL]

Katskamper likes this.
  15. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I am not a female or fluid gender so no answer from me.

16. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Member

This is kind of a long post......

I am a 60 year old, not very athletic/strong gal - really, quite the "city slicker". But in my late 30's, I wanted a cheap way to go to the beach. We had an ancient Jeep Cherokee and we bought an even more ancient Coleman Pop-Up. Used it for a couple of years and were hooked. Had 3 kids and ended up with a HW Niagara. I was lucky enough to either work from home or have a job that allowed me to tow the camper out to the local state park and set up before work or during my lunch hour - that way, we could go right out to the camper and be ready on a Friday night. Yes, it was easier when DH & boys could help. But I did fine on my own. And due to DH's work schedule, I often took the kids by myself. No problem.

Now kids are grown (how did that happen so fast?) and we've switched to an Aliner, not because I could no longer set up the Niagara, just wanted something that takes less time. DH isn't as interested any more, so I frequently go by myself - sometimes with our dog. And I love it. Have coffee pot, Kindle and quiet. The only concession is that I have to stand on a step-ladder to raise the roof on the Aliner as I am "height challenged". I make small repairs and mods myself. Never feel uncomfortable or "scared". And if I have the dog, well, let's just say I would not want to be the person that threatens one of "her people". She is our sweet girl, but she does love us and is protective!

My next challenge is driving from Raleigh to Galax, VA for an A-Frame tech rally - so I can learn more about maintenance of my little faux home. It isn't the distance that I am wary of, but rather towing through the mountains. I've driven them without the camper a gazillion times. And I had a sway bar installed on the camper and just got new tires, so feel I've done all I can to prepare.

So in short, heck yes. I can and do go camping and manage quite nicely by myself. And love doing so.

CarlaCB and J Starsky like this.
  17. KTClark

KTClark New Member

Oh this is my goal as well!! I have my first camper and I want to solo or caravan at the most....Thanks for the encouragement. To have the coffee, the books, the quiet, perhaps a walk and photograph with dog as well. Shadow, my shadow!

J Starsky and threebeachboys like this.
  18. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Member

You'll do fine - If I can do it (my previous hobby was shopping), anyone can. If you are on Facebook, there are numerous a-frame sites you may want to join, if you haven't already. They are most helpful.

Adina*Moo and KTClark like this.
  19. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I remember my first winter, I camped at a year round campground and was one of only three sites taken. The second was a solo man. The third was a father and daughter who left that day. The first two days, the solo man kept leaving and asking me to "watch" his campsite. The second night a female friend joined me in her little camper. As we walked around the campground that night, we saw two couples had set up next to the solo guy. They were sitting around their campfire talking and waved hello. We waved back. As we passed the solo guy's site, he came running out to us. He told us he was packing up and leaving because he was certain those people were going to attack him. I told him that they seemed normal, had a boat and were just sitting around their campfire and that I didn't think they'd be a problem. He was freaked.

As we headed back to our campers, I asked my friend "as a woman, should I be more worried about my fellow campers than I am?" I thought the solo guy was a bit weird for asking me to keep watch over his site every time he left, but none of the campers gave off warning signs of danger. And I grew up with a mom whose favorite warning was "Ted Bundy was a nice guy" so I've always been a careful person around strangers and non-trusting for the most part. But I'm not afraid of them.

20. Adina*Moo

Adina*Moo New Member

I go by myself with my kids. They’re all 10 and under so my oldest would help by watching the baby sometimes. I had to learn how to do everything on YouTube. It actually was much easier than I thought it would be. I dragged it from Alberta to Seattle and back again this summer. I did blow a tire in the mountains once and a nice man stopped and helped me with it. Otherwise I did everything. Barring any physical limitations I think most women can do it as long as they are motivated and want to. I had tent camped by myself also before that. I cannot chop my own wood tho. I’m sure I could if I practiced but I tried once and it was sad. I just buy it cut. I never once felt unsafe camping in any campground but I didn’t stop to sleep at any rest stops or Walmart’s or anything like that. Didn’t seem safe with kids.