Wondering about heart bypass recovery time.

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Lloyd B, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Columbiaville, Michigan
    I have heart bypass surgery scheduled for next week, just one bypass in an area where they could not put a stent. The doctor is talking about cardiac rehab following the operation. Does anyone have any idea of how long it will be before I can get back to camping, mostly how long will it be before I can crank the pop up roof, I am 75 if that makes any difference, and my DW has back problems so she can't handle the heavy stuff. We had made campground reservations for June before this health problem came up, do you think we will be able to keep them? Thank you for any information you can give me.

bob barnes likes this.
  2. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    Seems to me based on the folks I know that had it was about 4 months. Few weeks of rehab and daily walks (not a stroll after dinner).

Good luck with it. It is perfected from what I understand. So your n good hands. If it isnt too far, I would look into a family member or good friend for the set up. I think you could make the trip but the chest crack is the biggest hinderance. Your heart will be like new the minute after surgery. But your bones and connecting tissues will be the burden.

Happy Campin'

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I don't think you will be able to crank up a roof that soon. Have you considered getting a good drill and a socket genie?

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Is there anyway to have family or friends camp with you? They can do most the setup for you, you get to relax. If I lived closer I would be happy to help with setup/take down. Any kind of surgery is no fun, and takes a lot more time than you think to recover. Hope you get the chance to go. Good luck and best of wishes.

5. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Another thought is going to the dark side and trading in your pup for a TT. I have been considering this after cervical spine surgery this past fall and I am only 54. It is not an easy decision. I still have the pup and love camping in her. It all depends on what you can and can't do. Listen to what your doctor says and go from there.

6. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

May 15, 2014
    Sarasota, FL
    Good luck with your surgery... but I'd venture to suggest that this is not the best place to seek medical advice. Even if we were medically trained, we're not familiar with your individual case...

Your doctors and rehab team will be best qualified to tell you what you can, and can't, do. Let them know exactly what's involved, and they will be able to advise you on how long to wait.

Once you're fixed and healed, you'll be better able to enjoy camping again - just don't rush it

Again, good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

terry1419, kcsa75 and Orchid like this.
  7. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    For the same type of thing my wife and I are considering a couples travel trailer. We are not getting any younger. So far no major health issues. A heart scare a couple years back. Yes I know it doesn't take much to setup the pup but it can be if ones health is on the poor side.

8. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Columbiaville, Michigan
    Thank you for the advice and replies, that is pretty much what I was thinking. My son and DIL love camping, and have camped with us several times, now we will have to wait and see if they can get the time off from work. I really hope that I will get some energy back after the surgery, reduced blood flow has made set up about a 2-3 hour job with having to sit down and catch my breath, the doctors say I will be a new man after I heal, hope so, I enjoy camping so much and really miss it. We were full time RVers for 15 years, and it is not really camping, we can't afford a travel trailer, and tow vehicle that can handle it, so will stay with the pup or go back to the tent that we used while full timers. Thanks again, hope to see some of you at the campgrounds.

9. Orchid

You will be! I know people who have had this surgery and it's a life changer. I'll be praying for you a safe, uneventful surgery and recovery.

Even if son and DIL can't get off work, is it close enough that they may be able to come set up for you? We do that often for my parents. They have a Class A, but tow a vehicle and are not able to get the toad off and on. We usually drive over and do that for them, as they usually camp only 1.5 hours from here.

As been mentioned here, best to go with your doctor's advice. But, I can't imagine he will wanting you doing something like lifting a roof so soon after surgery. Even if you have to skip this trip, you will be back to camping soon enough and feeling better than ever.

Lloyd B likes this.
  10. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
    Speaking from experience . . .
    I had a triple bypass on '09 @ 55 yrs old so not the same but close enough. Rehab was fun and easy, waiting for 6 - 10 weeks to be able to drive or lift anything over 10 lbs was much harder. I did try to drive around the 4 week mark (IIRC). Just to the grocery on the corner. I didn't make it out of the driveway because trying to turn the steering wheel hurt! As the rehab people said: "Remember your chest is only being held together by twisty ties!"
    It's not the incision healing, or the walking (and really, you do need to walk. Not long walks, but lots of short walks until your stamina builds up again. The first long walk I took after I got home I had to sit down and take breaks. I learned a lesson from that!) but waiting for the sternum to heal, that's the worst!
    Good luck. It is really pretty simple surgery these days.

11. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Columbiaville, Michigan
    Thanks Friartuck, the Doc told my yesterday, the real problem with driving is the chance that the airbag might go off, he even recommended that I ride in the back seat, sounds reasonable but not driving is going to be a bummer, I have been a professional driver all of my life. We have made reservations for the Michigan Rally, hope to be healed up enough to see you there.

12. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Streator, IL
    Can't give you a timeline because you didn't say whether they can do it laproscopy with a small incision or if they need to do it the old way. It depends on where the blocked artery is located. I had a triple the old way at age 52 and I can tell you it knocks the snot out of you. But yes, you will feel like a new person after healing and rehab is completed.

13. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Columbiaville, Michigan
    Thanks Terry, they are doing it the old way, Dr. says double now. They tried putting a stent in, and said the blockage was in a place they couldn't use one in. Finished up all of the pre tests yesterday, so for everything looks good, over the past few weeks I think they have drawn about a gallon of blood for the tests, they seemed glad to tell me my blood type, but the Army told me that 57 years ago, glad to see it hasn't changed.

friartuck and jacrabbitt like this.
  14. Orchid

[LOL] But in all seriousness, it can ... or at least DNA can. I suppose I shouldn't say change, because it was always there, but some people have TWO distinct DNA profiles depending on what organs and places in the body the test comes from. Bizarre, but true.

Anyway, see you on the flip side, when you're feeling well enough to get back online. :smiley:

15. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

Mar 27, 2015
    Michigan
    We'll be pulling for ya Lloyd..I'll be at the Rally Thurs-Sun and be glad to give ya a hand settin up if can make the trip. got a couple of Stents myself know the drill sorta. The chest crack is the major hindrance. Good luck.

16. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
    Truly, don't be shy about asking for help at the rally. We are all there to help, and those of us in the 'zipper club' will be ready and on hand! I'll be there Thursday also (Wed night if I can talk the wife into it [:D] ) See you then!!

17. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Lloyd this is a new beginning not the end don't give up I had a double you will not feel very well for awhile especially the pain up your leg from taking big veins out to put in your heart it took me over a year to get over it. I never really took it very easy afterwords did about whatever I wanted. Instead of rehab I chose to walk I think it worked just as well but everyone can make their own choice.

5 years later 8 discs fixed, frozen 2 rods put in I chose to do the same type rehab my doc threw a fit I am now 75 and no better or worse but alive. Through all this stuff very little of he big pain stuff mostly Etocolac you will find they wont give you much of the other.

Good luck

bob

18. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

Mar 27, 2015
    Michigan
    xxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  19. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Columbiaville, Michigan
    Back home, feeling a little worse for wear, but everything went well. So far the pain is bearable with out having to take the narcotic pain killers, no infection, or fluid retention, still get really short of breath when I do the short walks that they want me to do. Scheduled to start rehab in a little over 2 weeks, after the first follow up visit with the Drs. Thanks for all of the thoughts and prayers, and offers of help camping, I hope we will be able to take you up on the offers at the Michigan Rally. Thanks again.
    Lloyd

20. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Lloyd I forgot to mention be very careful with how you lay and be very careful of too much fluid retention I had this and wound back in the hospital for 3 days. If you get it you wont be able to button your pants your waist will enlarge so much when I had this I was sleeping in a dining room chair as I couldn't get my breath laying down.

If you don't have the bad pain running down your leg you are a very lucky man!

God bless do lots of walking I cannot stress that enough do all the walking you can possibly stand many good years left!!