wood stove in a camper

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by paynster, Jan 16, 2011.

1. paynster

paynster New Member

LOL yea wonder what would happen and how to do it [MOD] [RTM]

2. barbjmj

barbjmj Member

have you seen this before or is this a hypothetical question?

3. paynster

paynster New Member

Ive seen it on you tube
    but they ran the stove pipe through the window and it burnt the side of the camper

4. Twisty

Twisty New Member

There was a recent thread on this site about it.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

6. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Thanks, Kitphantom - I was just going to say that... [:D]

They've been putting wood stoves in sheep wagons since the 1880s and in gypsy caravans since who knows when. With that being said, they were built with a wood stove in mind - a pop-up wasn't. A lot of metal heat shielding goes into the trailer and the suspension is made to handle the extra weight (you ever try to lift a wood stove by yourself? Good luck!)

Just my [2C], but I know not to say that it can't be done. It most likely could. Whether or not it should be done is another subject. You're most likely going to have to really beef up the suspension to handle that much extra weight, put in a LOT of metal heat shielding (taking into account the minimum clearances needed to keep the hot stove and pipe from charring everything around it,) and figure a way to run pipe through the wall of the pup. Unless, of course, you want to cut a hole in your roof, mount a spark arrestor, and take the pipe apart every time you set it up and take it down. If you do run the pipe through the wall, you'll have to be concerned with the smoke blowing right back into the pup. Then, of course, there's carrying all that extra wood, or buying it on site.

This is just me talking here, and my free opinion is worth every penny you paid for it, but a wood stove in a pup just sounds like more trouble than it's worth - at least to me. YMMV. A kerosene heater would be about my limit on roughing it in a pup, and I don't even really like that idea. If it were a hard-sided TT (or maybe even a HTT,) I'd consider it.

Truth be told, I'm almost finished with designing a sheep wagon to fit on an old TT frame I have in my back yard. Yes, it features a wood stove, but the sheep wagon is designed for it and the chassis can handle the weight of it. Here's a sneak preview:

[​IMG]

You can't see the stove itself in this screen capture, but you can see the pipe. I haven't posted this here before because it's not even remotely pop-up related. IF we decide to go ahead and build it, I'll certainly document the build, and if it's ok with Steve, post pics in a separate thread here on The Portal.

Again, this is just me talking here, but I think in a pup I'd stick with a Mr Buddy heater or similar if I didn't have 110v hook-ups, and a ceramic heater or oil-filled radiator if I did.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Nice design Dusty.

I could see some of the metal shielding in the sheep wagon, I figured they were more or less designed for the wood stove use. More or less, because I'm sure a lot developed over time, including changing availability of materials - and a number of not-so-well built ones probably went up in smoke. (think of all the house fires caused by chimney ones, sparks, or live ashes in the wrong place)

I grew up with a wood stove in our cabin, and my grandmother heated with a coal stove in the living room, and I don't want to deal with wood, ashes, smoke, etc. at this stage in life. So, in cold weather we'll stick with the electric heater when we have plug-ins (it has fan only too, in case the weather changes), heated mattress pad, and maybe the black cat heater when we don't have power. We've only used the black cat outside, and because our pup is so small, would only use it inside if desperate.

8. Balone42

Balone42 New Member

Hmmm. This is very interesting. I think a wood stove in a TT or a trailer for that matter would be an invitation to death and destruction and would at the very least tow like a boat anchor for a Destroyer. I have a better idea. [A] I own a 36 foot Airstream on my beach property that never sees the road and I intend to install a gas fireplace in the front where the sofa now sits. Since no one ever comes to visit, the sofa gets replaced by two chairs that face the fireplace. I see no reason why this won't work and have already found one that fits nicely under the windows. I see no reason why a shortie wouldn't work well in a PUP. Most trailers and many PUPs already have catalytic heaters in them. PUPs have the added convenience over trailers of not needing to keep a window open for ventilation.

9. Vapor420

Vapor420 New Member

I have done this myself I ran the pipe out the top of the popup I used roofing tin as heatsheilds it all works hey well I didn't use a very big stove just a wheeling 1952 army stove had to give up my table and were my seats were for it but we sit on the bed or outside most time anyway lol but all and all it will work u just have to work with it and add heat shields were u need an

Attached Files:

1380ken and jnc like this.
  10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Just watch the point where it exits the pop up. That will dry out over time. Theres no gap between the flue and the material around it. Be carefull. And make sure you have smoke detectors, and room for make up air.

11. Vapor420

Vapor420 New Member

I put a medallion were it exits trust me I am very careful about this studied for months before I put it in before I even got one I burnt a fire in it the first during the day and used it all day long to watch then even stayed up all night to make sure nothi g went wrong 12hrs of watching it and I think it's good but thank u for the help and if u come across anything that might help send it to me lol

12. Vapor420

Vapor420 New Member

And as for make up air I do I have a window next to us on the bed we use if we need it and sometimes If it gets bad I'll clean the open the window next to the sink and open door but it as served very well keeping us warm with just a small fire in it nothing big might switch to coal just to have something to burn all night was going to maybe covert it to a oil stove but idk yet just playing with ideas right now I am going to for sure add more tin to the set up just building it as I go

13. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Just keep an eye on it. Like i said stuff drys out over time and exposure. So whats good today, might not be goid in a year or too. Mostiure levels evaporate. Get the detectors, cheap peace of mind. The make up air is for lack of oxygen and carbon monoxide. The latter is less of a problum if it vents properly. The former is very important. Not sure about the pop ups. Just a precaution.

14. Vapor420

Vapor420 New Member

Ok thank u so much for ur help I will for sure get the detectors I had planned on it anyway even tho Ian a pretty light sleeper it would make me feel better lol thanks again for all ur help

15. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

That looks like galvanized metal pipe. If it is I wouldn't be in there. Heating galvanized metal releases toxic fumes that can cause metal fume fever or worse.

16. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

And we are buying a propane fire pit because firewood prices have skyrocketed ...

Why not just get a Buddy Heater?

17. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Come up to N/W Fl and you can get all the firewood you want for free :) There is no shortage now:) BTW the drought is also over...

18. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

LOL, I totally get it! I'm sure the panhandle has more firewood than they know what to do with about now. Even so, all the kiln dried wood they sell in and around our favorite Florida state parks comes from the Carolinas, I forget which one. We literally spent over $100 on firewood on our last camping trip and decided no more.

To make it even worse, the gas station (only place other than park to buy firewood on the island) raised their price per bundle from $5.88 to $8.50 on the last day of our trip. It's $7 at the park and both are fairly small bundles that burn fast.

We have a lifetime supply of free firewood here at home. We live on wooded acreage and have plenty for home. I won't transport due to a couple of reasons. First, it's illegal over 50 miles and we always camp that far away. Second, it weighs a ton and I don't want the added weight on our van. So looks like we have to add a propane tank back to our hitch, after going total electric. I can buy a propane fire pit for the cost of wood on one trip.

19. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have had a different effect with wood I bought at the CG, it is local and it is still green so all I get is smoke. I am always trimming oaks so I split the wood and put it into feed bags (that we have plenty of anyway)I have found that a 50# feed bag holds enough for one night so I take a bag a night, in summer I do not bother with a fire as it is to darn hot to enjoy one.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Orchid likes this.