Wow ...

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by Orchid, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Warning: Video contains f-bombs.

Should bumper hitches be trusted?

I did think it was quite considerate of the camper to pull over to the right. :smiley:

jnc likes this.
  2. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    Oh my!

3. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    can’t stop laughing.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    This is where you would really wish you had electric breaks and a break a way. It's a good thing they were going fairly slow with minimal traffic.

Orchid likes this.
  5. Orchid

Oh yeah, they got VERY lucky with how this ended up.

Looking at it again just now, it appears they only had one chain that wasn't hooked up. It's wrapped over the top of the hitch.

6. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    Couldn't have asked for a better outcome. Pup slowly coming to rest against the guardrail. Bumper hitches are not meant to tow any real weight.

Orchid likes this.
  7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Most bumper hitches are rated to tow 3500 lbs. My Toyota's is. I wouldn't pull a little red wagon with it. They are nothing but composite sheet metal. I am on bumper number 4 now due to rust. However, my Ford has an old school step bumper. 3500 lbs would be nothing for it.

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Loos like someone also had the truck in or near salt water /air for the bolts to fail. He is really lucky that everything was in his favor.

9. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    Yeah, it looks more like a hardware failure than a bumper failure. The same could happen to a bolt on hitch.

1380ken likes this.
  10. Orchid

Probably lives up north where they salt the roads the entire winter. It rusts out the underside of your vehicle unless you spray it off regularly.

11. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Orchid maybe right Because I have seen many bumps fall off here in New England. Mine is rated for 500lbs on the Tongue while hauling 5000lbs and never gets used for Towing.

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Good commercial for annual rust preventative spray..

13. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    Fluid Film is my choice....I don't fool with the little aerosol cans. I buy it by the gallon.

14. SpecialGreen

SpecialGreen New Member

Jul 5, 2018
    Usually the breakaway is cabled to the tow vehicle hitch. In this case, that is still attached to the camper. There are also YouTube comments about tow-chains, which miss this point.

Looking at the amount if rust in the video, I'm not sure you couldn't alao lose a Reese/Curtis class-2 hitch (or the frame it bolts to) given 10 years and enough rust.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  15. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    According to my manual, the break away cable is attached to the frame of the TV, in case the hitch comes loose.

16. SpecialGreen

SpecialGreen New Member

Jul 5, 2018
    Thanks, I didn't know that. I think I'd need to drill a hole in the bumper fascia or rockguard to get to the frame of my minivan.