Wrong High-Presure Regulator for 1999 Coleman?

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by NTL1991, Jul 15, 2017.

1. NTL1991

NTL1991 Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Rhode Island, USA
    I've been working on the LP system of my 1999 Coleman Westlake with the High-Pressure outside stove. I replaced the tank and installed an ACME hose fitting, but I've been having trouble with the outside high-pressure stove not working right.

The P.O. mentioned he had to replace the High-pressure regulator, but it appears he used a 30 PSI unit. I've seen multiple references here to a 16 PSI regulator. My high-pressure oven is spilling gas and creating a kind of fireball when used. I'm assuming this would be my problem?

What regulator would you guys recommend? A 2-stage unit to combine both together in one? Or do I need to keep the setup with two individual regulators?

2. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    I don't think they make such a regulator anymore, that why C/F went with the separate regulators. Fleetwood used a GasFlo GR616 regulator on my Niagara. I would think any RV dealer should be able to get you a replacement.

3. NTL1991

NTL1991 Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Rhode Island, USA
    Ah, so now I'm wondering if I should get a 15PSI regulator and call it "close enough" or get an adjustable 0-20PSI regulator. Anything would be better than the 30PSI regulator. I think the original low-pressure regulator aught to be replaced as well, so I might as well get both. It seems the original parts diagram shows the original high-pressure regulator coming straight off the tank POL fitting, followed by a 90 degree elbow, then the low-pressure regulator. That's not exactly what I have now. Re-piping it this way might help me keep my hoses in order and secured better.

Pages from 1999 coleman grand tour.jpg

4. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    NTL1991 likes this.
  5. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    I use an adjustable HP regulator.

I was able to improve the performance of my outdoor HP stove. I disassembled, cleaned, blew out with compressed air, and reassembled it. Spider cocoons can clog up orifices.

Attached Files:

NTL1991 likes this.
  6. NTL1991

NTL1991 Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Rhode Island, USA
    How do you dial in the correct pressure? Using a standard gauge installed in the output?

Do you have the model number of the HP regulator you're using?

Thanks,
    Nick

7. NTL1991

NTL1991 Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Rhode Island, USA
    I received the ACME fitting and adjustable high pressure regulator today, and installed them after adjusting it to 16PSI with a gauge I had laying around.

IMG_9404.JPG

It's a much more secure setup without the hose, I no longer have a high pitched whistle when any large gas consumer is used, and it keeps my flexible hoses higher up and out of the way of road debris.

Thanks for the help and advise,

Nick

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    Ideally the regulator would be secured (these days). I had info not to do as I did but did it anyway, supposed to be a pigtail from cylinder to regulator that is secured to something. Strength issue of the ACME or something along those lines.

I replace my POL with ACME directly connected to the 2 stage regulator. Just an FYI. Looks good!

ACME.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017 at 6:32 AM
    NTL1991 likes this.
  9. NTL1991

NTL1991 Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Rhode Island, USA
    Thanks for that good info. I wish there was a good place to mount the regulators other than the ABS cap. I'll keep an eye on the ACME fitting with the added weight of the regulators.