Yamaha & Honda Generators made in China now?

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by SmokeEater2, Jun 27, 2015.

1. SmokeEater2

SmokeEater2 New Member

I've been saving up for a 2000 watt Yamaha inverter genny and was looking at them on Amazon just now.

On a couple of recent reviews people were complaining that they are marked "made in China" now. I looked at the Honda and Amazon states country of origin is now Thailand.

I had been saving for a Yamaha or Honda because of the remarks and horror stories I've read about cheap Chinese generators, But there doesn't seem to be much choice available now.

I did notice that even though they are now made more cheaply in China, The price is still the same as it was for a real Japanese made Honda or Yamaha. [:(O]

Anyone bough one recently that was maybe still Japanese built or are they Chinese now?

2. turborich

turborich Active Member

Not sure where they are made currently however I doubt that either Honda or Yamaha would sacrifice their legendary reputation when it comes to their inverter generators. I'm sure that their build quality is still the best. E-mail both companies and ask them instead of speculating and possibly spreading misinformation. [2C]

3. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

If you lived in Japan would you care whether your car was manufactured by the westerners in America or Canada? After all, we're pretty good neighbors.

4. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

It is just a continuation of the Chinese trend. Companies move production to china to save money. There will be no drop in price because they need to preserve profit margins.

If it is true, then I do believe the quality will drop. I can not recall any situation where production was sent to china and the quality was the same or better. Once the decision is made to move (which is a big one) it is easy to begin making small quality decisions to each individual component. They begin to cheapen it up piece by piece. Maybe a small metal piece will now be plastic, etc.

Vin.

5. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

I have a fantastic Chinese generator that I got from Harbor Freight. Their "Predator" engines are much nicer than Briggs and Stratton junk.

There is a lot of very high quality stuff coming out of China. There is also poor quality junk. They will produce whatever quality someone demands.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Good to hear that you are pleased with the Generator, I plan o pick up a 3.5 /4 KW unit next week, to use with my PUP and around the farm I have a 25% off coupon so I might as well use it..

7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I have two Chinese made Champions. They have been great. One gets ran several nights a month and has for 2 years. Zero problems. My 3500/4000 modEl cost me $260 out the door.

8. SmokeEater2

SmokeEater2 New Member

I have emailed both and received no reply. That's why I was asking the question of people that had bought one recently.

Wasn't speculating about anything just looking for an answer.

9. turborich

turborich Active Member

Sorry, didn't try to sound mean. If you emailed both companies and received no response then that's no good. How about stop by a dealer and take a look at the packaging and their display unit? [2C]

10. turborich

turborich Active Member

11. turborich

turborich Active Member

Okay, it was actually very easy to find out where the Honda generators are manufactured. I e-mailed customer service and had a response very quickly! I did't contact Yamaha as somebody else can do this.

[​IMG]

12. JeffC

JeffC New Member

Wow! Thought I had seen almost everything. Been around the world several times, talked to everybody once, but I've never heard "fantastic", "great" and "high quality" to describe Chinese made Harbor Freight junk. I'm truly amazed. Cheap wins, I guess.

13. lifespeed

lifespeed New Member

You have to take some serious shortcuts to manufacture a piece of machinery like that for $260. Glad it works for you.

14. turborich

turborich Active Member

As everyone knows, I'm hardcore Honda or Yamaha. However there are a few others lurking out there that are decent. Harbor Freight has come a long way! Their Predator generators are actually pretty darn good. They now have a 2000 watt inverter generator for around $500 bucks or so. I buy a lot of stuff from Harbor Freight, but I'll stick to my little Honda. In the end you get what you pay for. This is why checking CL often can save you a bunch of money! [2C]

15. JT105

JT105 Member

I've had a Honda EU2000i for about a year now. The thing is amazing. I would buy it again. Used it for power outages at home and work, but not for camping yet. Super quiet and efficient. Mine was made in Thailand. No noticeable difference in parts from the ones made in Japan (based on the Japan ones I saw on YouTube while watching tear-down and service videos and also the parts and service manuals).

Honda is also manufacturing some of their motorcycles in Thailand now. Reports of quality on those have been favorable so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Do you believe that a slave labor worker in Thailand will be as dedicated as a Japanese worker?

17. JT105

JT105 Member

Not sure how they run the production over there. I know that if quality control is in place that the finished product can be good. Many times people cut corners and it impacts quality. Just saying that my generator seems fine and others experience with their motorcycles were fine. Not sure I would trust as much if it were not Honda.

18. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

They sell lots of junk. Their "Predator" engines and the generators that use them on are NOT junk.

I have had a few generators: the oldest had a Tecumseh engine. One has a B&S engine. Two were Onans. One has a HF non-predator engine (2-stroke), and two are HF Predators.

The Onans were awesome, and expensive. The two HF Predators are fantastic, but not quiet. The small 2-stroke HF is smoky, loud, harder to start, but works. The old Tecumseh will sometimes start and run well, but is nearly 40 years old. The Generac with the Briggs engine is the worst of the bunch.

19. JT105

JT105 Member

I hear that the Predator generators get pretty good reviews for operation. I also hear that parts are hard to get if you need to repair them.

20. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Strange. You and I have never spoken. I'm not sure about the validity of the rest of your tongue-in-cheek statements, either.

Moving on...

My two Champion 2000i generators weren't cheap but run flawlessly, being well-maintained. Granted, they are not from Harbor Freight but they were made in China. I am very happy with them, expect them to continue to function well for years to come and am able to apply the savings over purchasing more expensive options towards other ends.

As previously stated, China will build to whatever standards are being asked for by the company designing the product. Within the same country and even within the same manufacturing facility, quality of the components can vary greatly based upon what is called for by the designers.

I have processors in my servers at work that cost over $1,100 each. They come from the same manufacturing plant that produces the processors in your laptops that cost around $78. There is a huge difference in the two products, the capabilities and duty cycles. Yet, they both come from China and both from the same plant. And yet, that server with the expensive processors can handle the load generated by 700+ concurrent users during our crunch times. This is just an example to demonstrate that just because something is made in a particular location, it has nothing to do with capability and durability. It has everything to do with the company designing and selecting the process for the product to be built.

Making sweeping statements about all products from China being junk is foolish and lacks understanding of the manufacturing process as well as corporate decision making.