Yep, another WDH "Do I need one thread"

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by gottria, Aug 14, 2018.

1. gottria

gottria Member

May 26, 2015
    Castro Valley, CA
    2006 Fleetwood Niagara high wall towed with a 2001 f150 Supercrew 4x4 with the 5.4L. Truck tag GVWR at 6740lbs. Trailer tag GVWR says 3770lbs. Did a rough estimate with a scale and the tongue weight comes in around 420lbs, 2 full LP tanks and 1 battery. Rear end drops about an 1.5in when hooked up. Towing with it has been very smooth with no tail wag and very little bounce.

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Rear sag is 1.5 inches, but what's the front doing? If you're coming up about an inch, you may want to look at a WDH just to keep it level. You could also invest in some assist springs for the F150... fairly cheap.

3. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Inch and a half is probably not even sitting the truck level I’m guessing? If that’s the case not sure why you would need one.

durhamcamper likes this.
  4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Curious as to why you think you need a WDH as the numbers don't support one

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Measure the difference of the wheel well height with and without the trailer. You don't want the front distance to rise. Or a large difference between front and rear.

6. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    So why are you questioning the possible need of a WDH ? It wouldn't hurt I guess but not really needed.
    My truck sits level after loading up gear and hooking up the pup but rear end high when empty as with most pick-ups. Same as you, no sway and smoother ride than when empty. :)

7. gottria

gottria Member

May 26, 2015
    Castro Valley, CA
    Here is a picture fully hooked up after a trip to Yosemite. We no longer take bikes as the kids don't think it's cool to ride bikes anymore. I'll measure tonight what the drop is and lift of the front end. The Fastway e2 I ordered came in but I think I ordered it too heavy, I got the 800Lbs tongue kit and maybe got the 600 if I need one at all now.
    [​IMG]

8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I do think your front end looks a bit light. I would add a helper spring before dealing with a WDH.

crackerJack likes this.
  9. gottria

gottria Member

May 26, 2015
    Castro Valley, CA
    What's a helper spring? Is that similar to airbags?

Edit: just googled it and I like it. Won't effect stock ride, no hastle of the wdh, and cheaper.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  10. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

That's why I would go that way. I had to add one back when I had a F150 with a Huge slide on camper. It looked a like your ride height but when I would go over a bridge abutment the front end would bounce so high I had no steering. Anyways I hope this helps you fix your ride. Good Luck & Camp on.