Yeti (or similar) Cooler - Worth it?

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by jaynine89, May 31, 2018.

1. jaynine89

jaynine89 Member

Mar 19, 2018
    West Central WI
    I have a question about these new Yeti coolers that I'm seeing more of. They're pretty darn expensive, but from what I've heard, they keep ice solid even in a hot vehicle for several days at a time. May need to drain out some water, and you'll probably have to add ice, but it won't be a complete puddle at the end of day one.

Does anyone have any experience with them, or any off-brand ones that you might recommend? Ideally we'd have two coolers, one for food and one for beverage, but at $150+ each, that's a lot of coin for a cooler...

2. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have a soft side Yeti and I love it. Take it to the beach and it stays iced all day. Sand just washes right off. I also have a metal can koozie and the 16oz cup and they work wonderfully. Still have ice in my cup from this morning and have refilled several times with water.

I bought the softside when it was on sale buy one get one free at a black friday event when I was at The Lodge store in Pigeon Forge a couple years ago and split the cost with my FIL that made it a similar price to the Wal-Mart knockoff.

My dad won a hard side in his Christmas raffle at work this year and it is incredible too.

The knockoffs are almost as good on the coolers and if I wouldn't have got the deal likely would have bought one. I'm sure if I had one of each there would be things that I could point out that were better on the Yeti.

I got an Ozark Trail knockoff cup that was hand painted for a Christmas present this year the same size as my Yeti. It does do a comparable job as the Yeti, but not as well. The main difference is the cheaper lid. I've used that cup less frequently and the lid already cracked. I also set my cigars on the lids if needed and the small amount of heat from the cigar melted the ozark lid and not the Yeti lid. The o-ring seal falls out of place and you have to fiddle fart with it when you refill. Minor stuff really. I have replaced the ozark trail lids with Yeti lids you can get online and it works better.

Ultimately it's up to you whether the Yeti is worth more. I'm a bit younger and don't know what products were better made 25 years ago are still around now when their cheap knockoffs have long since been thrown away. I envision the difference between the two as by paying more now you have a product still going strong and is sought after as a collectible 20-30 years from now vs. the knockoff you'd have replaced a few times in that same timeframe. I bought a Leatherman utility knife vs. the cheaper knockoffs for the same reason. This is something that hopefully when my kids are dividing up my stuff that they'll say I want the Leatherman/Yeti while the ozark trail cup will likely hit the trashcan.

3. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I haven't used the YETI but have used the Coleman 5-day Ice chest... I fill it up with ice just before the trip and then add a see through plastic box with on top of the ice. Will stick drinks and other bottled items we want to have for the trip down into the ice...

On the inside fridge we will add three gallons of frozen water in milk cartons inside the fridge to keep it cool for most of the trip ... Then about 30-45 minutes out from destination will turn on the 12VDC for the 3-way fridge I have and this will definitely bring the fridge down to a usable fridge by the time we get setup at the camp site...

Most of the time we stock up on our frozen meals at a WALMART store close to the destination and these all go into into the Colman 5-day cooler. Things that we don't want to get water soaked goes into the plastic box with closed lid.

My 5-day Ice chest remains in the tail end of my closed and locked truck bed. I also have a thick quilt over the top of it... Does rather well keeping things cold for us... I never see the 5-days but will go get ice again in three days and drain off the ice cold water... We live out of the ice chest in the truck bed and use the inside small fridge for cold drinks and things that fit inside the small area.. Recently I have seen an ICE CUBE MAKER on SALE at WALMART and might give that a shot on a future date just to see If my battery bank will make ice cubes for us. Probably would take too long to use the generator to run the Ice Cube maker ??? For $60 bucks might be cheap enough to try one at my back yard camp site just to see how it works for camping...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Always make note where the closest WALMART STORE is as well where a primitive toilet is setup at the off-road camping spots we like to go to... This is where I like to dump our gray sink water and empty out the cassette potty tank.. Most of those type of areas have one somewhere not too far away...

It is all pretty much routine now for us camping OFF-GRID with our POPUP...

My on-board battery bank gets us through the night and will be down to its 50% charge state by 8Am the next morning... Then we use our 2KW Generator when allowed to power up the on-board converter/charger unit to bring our batteries back up to the 90% charge state so we can do all of this all over again from the day/Night run off the batteries. This usually take a good three hours of generator run time each morning...

When camping at Electric sites we do almost the same routine except we have air conditioning and use of the high wattage microwave. Everything is about the same as when we camp OFF-GRID. At the Electric Camp sites we just don't need to run the 2KW Generator is about the only difference for us...

It is all in the planning...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

4. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Member

Mar 16, 2017
    After the hurricane last year in Florida my neighbor brought home a Yeti cooler from his restaurant. Everyone was amazed at how it still had ice 6 days after the storm. My 150 gallon igloo marine cooler had just as much left. I'm sure they are better for longer periods but for what I need, my 65 dollar igloo serves the purpose. No way I would ever spend that kind of money on a cooler.

kcsa75 likes this.
  5. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Active Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Where can you get a Yeti cooler for $150? The ones I've seen go from 300 to 1200

BelchFire and Orchid like this.
  6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Yeti's are good for Bear country otherwise get a Coleman 5 day extreme. I still have ice leftover from last weekend.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I use a regular cooler and made a cover for it out of refeltix, I have kept ice for 6 days on a solo canoe trip.

BelchFire likes this.
  8. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Denver Colorado
    I looked at those, but was put off by the weight. The Yeti Tundra 45 weights 28.5 lbs empty. Fill it up with food and ice and you have got a pretty darn heavy cooler.

I use two Coleman metal sided coolers and I fill one with just ice and keep it in the back of the SUV under a cover. Then, when the other cooler with the food and drinks gets low on ice, I can add some from the ice cooler. Since the ice cooler is not getting opened and closed all day the ice lasts a long time.

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I also got the Coleman 5 day. I put reflectix around the cooler and a reflectix top insert for the inside of the cooler and got ice to last 4 days even in a 100 + degree car. Personally I couldn't see paying the $300+ my stores are asking for for a yeti. As long as you don't open and shut the cooler three + times a day ice could last a pretty good time. I personally only open it once a day, take the days worth of meals out and put it in the fridge in the camper or put in the drink cooler. That way the ice lasts longer in the main cooler. I sometimes don't even bother with a drink cooler on my short trips. I'm a water drinker anyway and bring that in my 5 gallon jug from home.

10. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    I won’t buy a yeti anything. I assume that if I did, I would have to put a sticker on my truck and brag to everyone about how awesome it is. :)

Fbird, chambo, Kampus and 4 others like this.
  11. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We used classic Colman metal coolers for years, with stacked foam pads on top and a jacket made of Reflectix or the one from PUGs. In our climate, the metal can get too hot to touch, even under a cargo cover.
    When the last metal one began to crack, we first went to a Canyon cooler - higher efficiency, not as pricey as the Yeti. Worked pretty well, but we still ended up using the foam and a Reflectix cap. That cut down our ice usage, especially after the first day or so when it was really chilling and shaking down). When we bought the TT, which has a good 'fridge, we bought a Pelican. Outer dimensions are about the same as the Canyon, but it has a bit smaller capacity, and on most trips, we can restock ice just a time or two over a week. The cooler is now used mostly for beverages, lunch when we're away from camp, and restocking on longer trips.

13. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    jnc, megcabra and bearman512 like this.
  14. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Aldi has a yeti clone for $80. I don't have one. The thing I liked the most about that style of cooler is the latch system. I have a decent 5 day cooler now but it has no latch. Truth be told though I am hoping for a good deal on a 12v freezer like an ARB.

15. megcabra

megcabra Active Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Chapel Hill, North Carolina
    Check out what Aldi in Burlington North Carolina is clearanceing them at!
    B1A133AB-F3BE-4032-B737-3E7BE6FCD7D6.jpeg

16. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Hillsboro, OR
    For the price of a Yeti, may as well buy a 12v fridge.

17. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    From the link posted (Best review I've seen to date)

I've seen many reviews that have the same conclusion. The coleman xtreme is usually just right behind the pricey coolers

18. Wakita46

Wakita46 Member

Mar 15, 2013
    I though about the Yeti but I ended up with the 58 quart Marine Extreme. Under extreme conditions, it uses about 5 lbs of ice a day so it can last for many days (I used it for several months at a time). The Marine Colemans have better handles than the regular Colemans and cost a little more but they have two advantages over the Yeti: price and weight. Once the cooler is full of ice and food it can be very heavy. Heft a Yeti and you can see it is really heavy - not worth it to me.

19. tom2001d

tom2001d New Member

May 1, 2007
  20. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Just saw this... (It's a kickstarter from 5 years ago, so it's not real)

Jump to 1:02 for the brief overview